Team-BHP - Hyundai i20: ORVM folds out only halfway
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Hyundai i20: ORVM folds out only halfway (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/140323-hyundai-i20-orvm-folds-out-only-halfway.html)

I took delivery of my Asta crdi last week and I noticed an odd issue today. The car cons equipped with electronic ORVMs. Today when I started the car and hit the button to fold out the mirrors, the left side mirror would open only half way. I assumed someone tampered with it so I went over and tried opening it all the way. It loosely fell in to a full open position. I tried closing it and opening it again using the button and it worked fine. A few hours later when I started the car, again, it opened half way. I closed the mirrors using the button and opened them again and it opened all the way.

This seems like a strange issue to have on a brand new car. I'm taking it to the service station tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone else is facing this issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahir (Post 3209453)
I took delivery of my Asta crdi last week and I noticed an odd issue today. The car cons equipped with electronic ORVMs. Today when I started the car and hit the button to fold out the mirrors, the left side mirror would open only half way. I assumed someone tampered with it so I went over and tried opening it all the way. It loosely fell in to a full open position. I tried closing it and opening it again using the button and it worked fine. A few hours later when I started the car, again, it opened half way. I closed the mirrors using the button and opened them again and it opened all the way.

This seems like a strange issue to have on a brand new car. I'm taking it to the service station tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone else is facing this issue

I have seen this problem in a couple of i20's. There is a spring in the motor assembly which has got jammed resulting in the erratic opening behavior.Mostly there will replace the motor assembly under warranty.

Oh ok. So its a common issue?

Is replacing the motor a big deal? Days job or just minutes ?

I have a similar issue with my 6 month old i20 Sportz. Right ORVM would either not open or Close some time. Went to Service Centre but it always worked there.
SA told me that someone would have tried to manually close it hence the problem and asked me to take a video if it happens next time. Unfortunately whenever it does not work, I start recording and it works well.
I don't know why it would jam even though I use this always. I always close my ORVMs when not in car. I have not noticed it recurring for some time now. When it happens next will surely ask the SA to change the motor assembly.

Repeating Zahir's question: Is replacing the motor a quick job?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidyanand (Post 3210045)
Unfortunately whenever it does not work, I start recording and it works well.

It should be a quick job considering its just a single mirror issue, an hour at max if the service centre guys are clueless.
OT:
I think your ride is just messing with you :uncontrol.

Its max 1 hour job if its a motor replacement

Thanks for the inputs. I took it to the service center. Seems there was moisture in the mechanism & a slight gap that caused grime to collect.

They cleaned & sealed it

So far so good. Hope this helps.

Btw, is manual folding detrimental?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahir (Post 3210535)
Btw, is manual folding detrimental?

the motors and the gears and cogs do not like being moved by an external force since there is a mechanism to hold the mirrors in place. so i would say, detrimental over the long term rather than to term it a 'break on touch' thing.