Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2006, 00:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti 800 brakes

Guys i have a 1998 maruti 800 carbureted run 63000.When i got the car serviced a month back it has run 1400 km since then.When i got the car from service the brakes seemed better than what they were before i gave it for service so i was happy with the brakes.But since 2 days i am feeling that i have to apply more pressure to the brake pedal than what i usually have too.The back wheel cylinders were changed at 58000 km,the back wheel pads were changed at 53000km,The front wheel pads were changed at 59000km.My question is that how can the brakes go bad in 2 days.Before 2 days they were ok condition considering that the brakes of the 800 are unservoed(no brake booster).
Old 8th June 2006, 12:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

take it to garage and see if some air bleeding is required
Old 8th June 2006, 13:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Guys Was sick and tired of the constant niggles in the car.Everytime i say My car is perfect now and seem to enjoy my car MAN some new problem comes up in no time.This time the brakes.Just went to a maruti authroized service station.Told him the problem he checked it out and told me that he would call once he opens everything up and that the car would be delivered tomorrow evening.He would call me today evening to tell me what is wrong.
Finally for the first time got this feeling in me that i am happy that atleast there will be no car today to worry about.Getting all senti here...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by adya33 : 8th June 2006 at 14:26.
Old 8th June 2006, 18:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from spectra motors.They said that back wheel liners were gone and needed to be replaced and the front wheel pads also need to be replaced.
I told him that i had replaced that front wheel pads around 4500 km back and he said they have hardened up and need to be replaced and the back wheel liners were replaced around 11000 km back.Guys do u think that the liners wear out as early as 11000 km and the front wheel pads hardened at 4500 km?Really dont know weather to trust them or no.The brake pads i had installed earlier in my front wheels were tvs ones
Old 8th June 2006, 18:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to reply to this before.

The service people will roughen up the brake pad and shoes and this practice will give good braking for couple of days but on the third day it's back to normal. Top up the fluid.

When replacing brake pads go for KBX pads these don't last as long as the TVS-Girling but gives better braking performance. TVS pads hardens quickly. Check if the KBX shoes are available for the rear drums.

Make them do a proper brake bleeding job. If the fluid in the system is quite old then flush the entire thing and add new brakefluid. There's a chance of moisture getting into the fluid in the system if the seals are not good.

Cheers.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th June 2006 at 18:33.
Old 8th June 2006, 20:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

dude got the car today the hand brake cable was replaced,the drum brake liners were replaced,the front brake pads were replaced.Brakes were ok.Although have been always unhappy about the brakes.I Just hate it when u have all go(in my opinion i think 800 is good go)and no enough stopping power really sad.
By the way all this set my back by 1200 bucks.
The system was flushed last december.So do u think i still need to get it bleeded?
Old 8th June 2006, 21:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

The bleeding is done if the brake feels spongy, leave it if it's hard.

You can servo your 800 brakes, that would solve your braking problems. Or when changing the tire next time get a wider tire that too improves braking.

Or you can fit zen diesel's bigger rotor if u are going 13" on wheels.
Old 8th June 2006, 23:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

nope the brake pedal does not feel spongy on the contary its hard.Its like i have to apply considerable amount of pressure while stopping the car from speeds like 80 to 100 km when u have to stop at a fast pace.The brakes were kind of ok when i got the car from service about 1400 km and the month back.But since some days the brakes were becomming even more hard and finally on a 100 km trip around mumbai i had it when i came home and my right leg(the leg through which i press the brakes)was aching like hell due to constantly applying pressure.My dad saw my plight and off we went to the maruti showroom today.Althought the brakes have become kind of ok the end point is i am still not happy and the service station guys say that maruti 800 does not have booster so they cant help it.
Sankar about servoing the brakes i am thinkin abhis since sometime but whenever i ask the different service station guys(all MASS)all they say is that we wont do it nor do we recommend u makes me a little sceptical and on the other hand its costly too.
3300 for the brake booster assembly with taxes etc+4 way valve+piping
All this comes upto around 4500 to 5000 bucks including labour.This process would involve drilling holes in the inlet manifold for the vaccume pressure needed in the brake booster.
If i can find a good enough place to do this in mumbai maybe i will get it does in sometime.Anyone knows any place?
Sankar dude one more thing i wanted to ask u.i saw your 1986 800.How are the brakes of your car.?are u happy with it specially while stopping from a high speed?

Last edited by humyum : 8th June 2006 at 23:40.
Old 9th June 2006, 00:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

You can get the servo from junkyard at a cheaper rate, take someone who knows how to select good ones. Take it to some good workshop (not MASS) to get the servo done. Mumbai members might be able to point you to a good garage.

My brakes are good for an 800 stops without much effort from 80 or 100, the difference is in the KBX pads, alloy wheels and wider tires. My early setup with TVS pads, steel wheels & 155 section tire doesn't even come close to the present setup i have. I'm happy with the stopping power.
Old 9th June 2006, 00:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

yeah i had the tvs pads too.Ran for around 4500 km and today the maruti service station guy said they had hardened up and need to be replaced.KBX pads well i will try them out the next time.By the way how much do they cost for the front discs?Well I definately will try to go get the servo from the junkyard.It will be much cheaper and serve the purpose too.I have radial tyres on my 800 but i guess there is no point in good tyres when the brakes dont bite in the first place.I got radials on my car 145 section.
Old 9th June 2006, 00:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good tyres does make a difference, it will transmit whatever power you have in your brakes to the tarmac.

I don't know how much the discs costs, if you have the autocar lying around in which the spare prices for cars was published you can look it up. Otherwise call your mass and ask for the price. Anyways you can't use the ZenD's disc rotor with 12" wheels.

The change to KBX pads should be enough to give comparatively better braking. Servo would be more than enough.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

I just got one more query.Does installing brake booster on a carburator 800 suck engine power.As the vaccume for running the brake booster will be taken from the engine.
Also Will the vaccume pressure for the brake booster be taken from the carburator or a seperate hole will be drilled in the inlet manifold for gettin the vaccume pressure?
I m plannin to get the brake booster job done from a maruti authorised service station in gujrat as my relative is a branch manager there.
So tell me the pros and cons please
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pyscho,viper ...anyone please reply..!!
Old 16th February 2010, 12:55   #14
BHPian

sorry to bump and old thread. But was looking for an answer for humyums query.

Anyone
Old 16th February 2010, 19:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
sorry to bump and old thread. But was looking for an answer for humyums query.

Anyone
Pavan kadam has a brake booster on his 800 i think.Maybe he could guide you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks