Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
The mechanic's name is Mahendran at Green Cars, Koramangala who does the night shift there and took the tension off me and the car.
Great to know how your problem solved and good thing you did not have to spend a penny. And yes, the grey hairs do help! Job well done Mahendran.
Old 27th October 2013, 21:18   #17
BHPian

Re: Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve

Similar experience with my wagon R (52000 Kms). Recently changed all 4 tyres. Got the car serviced in MASS and took it to Kodai. The problem occured while coming down in the ghat roads from Kodaikanal. After about 2 hours of desend in the ghat road, suddenly a screaching sound started coming from the right front wheel. Please note that all throught the ghat road while coming down I was careful that I dont use the brakes too much. So I was driving in low gears only. The sound was so intense that I had to stop and just to make sure that there is no stone etc stcuk in the wheel I took the wheel out but there was nothing. After reaching the plains, somehow drove to a local workshop and they cleaned the brake assembly and the sound was gone. For the next 2 days I drove the vehicle for another > 600 kms ( plain roads not ghat) and there was no problem.

However, now I see that there are lot of grease marks on the rim of the wheel which has the problem. The other three wheels does not have these black grese marks. Its just the wheel which had the sound issue earlier. Also while parking the vehcile I notice that there is low humming noise coming from the front wheel. Not sure what could be the source of the problem and if it is anyway related to the screeching sound. brake work was included in the last service before I took the vehcile for the long drive to kodai. Any idea why this black marks are there on the wheel rim are and if the humming sound is related, I have checked that brake fluid levels are fine. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th October 2013 at 21:44.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:18   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
However, now I see that there are lot of grease marks on the rim of the wheel which has the problem. Any idea why this black marks are there on the wheel rim
Is it grease or any oil marks like brake fluid? Check the pipe connecting to the discs assembly.

May be the disc pad assembly is touching the wheels may be or it is not aligned properly. Is the wheel rotating freely or a jammed feeling is there? If you don't mind can you post the picture of the wheel with the marks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Also while parking the vehicle I notice that there is low humming noise coming from the front wheel.
The wheel bearing is gone so that humming noise.

Anurag.
Old 27th January 2015, 22:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

My brand new Ritz seems to have this tak tak problem. On accelerating from stand still it comes for about 2-3 secs and then disappears or maybe it happens and I cannot hear it. I just noticed this today. Will check again tomorrow and see if this is a one off case.
Old 14th September 2015, 23:16   #20
BHPian

Deep knocking sound from front right suspension

Here is the problem that I have been facing with my 5 year old i10. For almost a couple of months I have been hearing a deep knocking from the front driver's side suspension while driving over uneven roads (Not the terribly potholed ones, but those that have been patched up to different levels on a stretch). I have also observed this while taking a turn at slow speeds. Last weekend I got tired of the noise and decided to check if any of the links were loose on the suspension. Nothing that I could detect.

I tried simulating a potholed road while parked in my car porch. I stood on the door sill and tried loading and unloading the suspension repeatedly. But I could not hear any peculiar knocking. Then I tried to simulate swaying of the vehicle by trying to roll it over onto the passenger side; et voila. The knocking could be heard clearly from the front right side suspension. I have no idea what it is. This seems to be emanating from the front right side only. The front passenger side is fine.

I have linked a video that I captured while trying to simulate this.

What could be the probable cause for this? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I almost forgot, it has only 26400 kms on it. I have some 500+ kms until the next service is due. Is it okay to continue with this issue. Or is it something serious that requires immediate tending to?
Old 15th September 2015, 06:35   #21
BANNED

Re: Deep knocking sound from front right suspension

This sounds like a worn out drive shaft. Are the rubber bellows which cover the joints in decent condition? If it has a hole or is missing completely dirt may enter the joint causing early failure.

Though 26k is too low a mileage for drive shaft problems, I had similar issues in my car at only 50k km. This hardware can be refurbished for Rs. 3k instead of a full replacement.

One cause of this shaft failure (if it is the root cause) is a worn out suspension.

Do let us know.

Last edited by hangover : 15th September 2015 at 06:37.
Old 15th September 2015, 08:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by febyphilabr View Post
Here is the problem that I have been facing with my 5 year old i10. For almost a couple of months I have been hearing a deep knocking from the front driver's side suspension while driving over uneven roads (Not the terribly potholed ones, but those that have been patched up to different levels on a stretch). I have also observed this while taking a turn at slow speeds. Last weekend I got tired of the noise and decided to check if any of the links were loose on the suspension. Nothing that I could detect.

I tried simulating a potholed road while parked in my car porch. I stood on the door sill and tried loading and unloading the suspension repeatedly. But I could not hear any peculiar knocking. Then I tried to simulate swaying of the vehicle by trying to roll it over onto the passenger side; et voila. The knocking could be heard clearly from the front right side suspension. I have no idea what it is. This seems to be emanating from the front right side only. The front passenger side is fine.

I have linked a video that I captured while trying to simulate this.

What could be the probable cause for this? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I almost forgot, it has only 26400 kms on it. I have some 500+ kms until the next service is due. Is it okay to continue with this issue. Or is it something serious that requires immediate tending to?

Check the strut pads , once you replace those , you should be good . Problem solved .
Attached Thumbnails
Sound from the axle / front end of the car? Maruti workshops unable to solve-strut_spring_pad.jpg  

gautamkhadse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 10:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

There could be three scenarios to this. Try these tests out and you'll know what it is.

1) Caliper pin has lost its lubrication - Go on a road which has paver blocks and see if the kat kat kat sound comes. When it comes, press the accelerator and brake at the same time and see if the sound goes away. If it does, its the caliper pin

2) Stabiliser bar - Don't know if your car has stabiliser bars or a not, but if its the stabiliser bar the sound will not go.

3) If the sound is coming from the top side, then its the strut bush and that needs to be replaced.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 13:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
This sounds like a worn out drive shaft. Are the rubber bellows which cover the joints in decent condition? If it has a hole or is missing completely dirt may enter the joint causing early failure.
One cause of this shaft failure (if it is the root cause) is a worn out suspension.
@hangover: Initially I too thought that the sound had something to do with the joints. I had already checked out the rubber bellows/boot for tear/wear. It was intact. Plus I could not spot any oil drip marks or streaks on the shocks. Wouldn't there be a visible oil leak if the suspension was damaged/worn? Plus if the drive shaft had indeed worn out (at 26000k's ) wouldn't there be a constant vibration up at the steering wheel (even on smooth highways) alongwith uneven tire wear (The tyres are relatively new and the wear seems to look even)? The car seems to be fine on smooth roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Check the strut pads , once you replace those , you should be good . Problem solved .
@gautamkhadse: I will check it out. If the strut pad is damaged, will the spring shift about (by a minute amount) when I tug on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
There could be three scenarios to this. Try these tests out and you'll know what it is.

1) Caliper pin has lost its lubrication - Go on a road which has paver blocks and see if the kat kat kat sound comes. When it comes, press the accelerator and brake at the same time and see if the sound goes away. If it does, its the caliper pin

2) Stabiliser bar - Don't know if your car has stabiliser bars or a not, but if its the stabiliser bar the sound will not go.

3) If the sound is coming from the top side, then its the strut bush and that needs to be replaced.
@humyum: I will check the caliper later when I take the car out. And by a stabiliser bar, do you mean a sway bar?

Oh this is another issue that just popped back in my mind. My VIN comes in the range affected by this. I had replaced the part under warranty as per the TSB, a little later after purchasing the vehicle. But the problem re-emerged and had to replace it again during the last service. (Paid 1000 bucks for O/H-ing the steering gear in order to replace a nut worth 100.) But the metallic rattle still exists which I earlier believed to to have been caused by the yoke plug. But after reading about the caliper pin, will an un-lubed pin cause this metallic rattle (sounds like steel balls placed on a vibrating glass table.)

On reading your third point and gautam's suggestion. I do think it has something to do with the strut assembly. The noise seems to be coming from a region midway between the hood and the wheel arch.

Last edited by febyphilabr : 15th September 2015 at 13:26.
Old 15th September 2015, 13:57   #25
BHPian

If its reproducible with the horizontal movement esp with a metal touching kinda sound, most probably it will be the strut mounts which includes the bearing (culprit for the sound)
Old 19th October 2016, 16:59   #26
BHPian

Friends,

For the last few months my 2006 Alto LXi (50000Kms) has been making a strange noise from the front right end. It come as a knocking sound when I lug the engine and the steering is turned slightly left.

I can replicate the knocking sound at standstill also by keeping the steering turned slightly left and making the engine vibrate by releasing the clutch partly on reverse or 2nd./3rd. gear. So it can't be the suspension since the car is standstill.

It seems that the vibrations of the engine is causing something to shake and knock but it happens only at one particular position of the steering.

I have had the engine mountings checked. One mechanic has said that it is coming from the steering box but if so it should be felt on the steering and why only at one particular position of the steering.

Has anyone had any experience like this?

Last edited by techiecal : 19th October 2016 at 17:05.
Old 5th December 2016, 09:14   #27
BHPian

I have been experiencing rapid thud-thud sound from both the wheel ends of the front axle (Ritz Zxi 2010), More while turning the wheel. Got it inspected from nearby MASS, indus motors. I was advised to change the entire power steering unit and would incur Rs. 32,000/- for it. Also warned me about no serviceable parts to swap or repair. It’s been disheartening to hear about such premature failure at 52000 km. Meanwhile the service adviser who usually address my visits reassured me of the power steering assembly failures common to all swift and Ritz from maruti.

Most Viewed