Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 05:53   #1

Replacing the Upper A-arm Bushings

Hi folks - I'm currently restoring a Fiat 1200 Cabriolet that is in desperate need of new bushings all around. I ran into an issue with the upper a-arms though. The rubber's been pounded out of them all completely, yet I can't seem to pass the mounting bar through the remaining outer sleeve, nor can I angle the bar out. Is it really necessary to separate the subframe from the body to remove and replace the upper a-arm bushings? (the subframe components should be identical to the Fiat 1100 of the same year (late 1950's - early 1960's)).
Old 26th August 2013, 15:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing the Upper A-arm Bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbilly View Post
Is it really necessary to separate the subframe from the body to remove and replace the upper a-arm bushings?
No.

Do you have the workshop manual for the 1100D? If not, perhaps you can send a private message to members Rehaan or manishalive or Shiva for a scanned copy of the same.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 13:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Would you have a picture of the arms to have a better idea please?
Old 27th August 2013, 21:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Along with a picture, can you pls. confirm that you are having the same problem on both sides. Else one side can act as a guide for the other side.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th August 2013, 21:44   #5
BHPian

http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/Work_Log/subframe7.html

I found this website about a Fiat 1500 being restored. This link is about reassembly of the front suspension.
I hope this is the model we are discussing about. some pics to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing the Upper A-arm Bushings-img00661.jpg  

Replacing the Upper A-arm Bushings-img00544.jpg  

msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 23:30   #6

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply. I seem to forget my new password every time I rest it.

@SS-Traveller No, I don't unfortunately. I have the parts catalog, but I haven't yet found a workshop manual. Any information for these vehicles, or even the ones it's related to, are scarce here in the States. Thanks for the leads, I'll pm them. It'd be real handy even if msaud's link pans out.

@Jaggu & @Sutripta I certainly will as soon as I get back home from the shop - I don't know if I'm going to have the same problem on the other side - I've only pulled apart one side, since I shoved the lawnmower in between the other side and the wall.

@msaudf Thank you sir! It's close, mine is a slightly earlier model, but I think the only difference is the body shell. With any luck, I'll be able to figure it out from that.
Old 28th August 2013, 13:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbilly View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply. I seem to forget my new password every time I rest it.
Hey if you are in Dallas you could speak with Aaron Kaufman from Gas Monkey Garage, I heard they help out with stuff like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks