Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 19:05   #1
BHPian

Engine block replacement - Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratec EXI (P)

Request BHPians' suggestions/recommendations for refurbishment of Ford Fiesta Engine - 1.4 Duratec EXI ( Petrol ) which has developed a crack in the casting of the bottom block of engine.

The car was purchased in 2008 and run 23000KM; well out of engine warranty and no scope of any insurance coverage as there was no motor accident that led to this problem.

Ford suggested to replace long / short block of engine and internal parts like bearing / oils seals / rings / piston head / crank shaft etc. The estimate, as you can imagine, is too high.

Please recommend garages in Bangalore which are reasonable and having expertise in this.
Old 28th August 2013, 19:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Engine block replacement - Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratec EXI (P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
Ford Fiesta Engine - 1.4 Duratec EXI ( Petrol ) which has developed a crack in the casting of the bottom block of engine.

The car was purchased in 2008 and run 23000KM; well out of engine warranty

Ford suggested to replace long / short block of engine and internal parts like bearing / oils seals / rings / piston head / crank shaft etc. The estimate, as you can imagine, is too high.
Very sorry to hear about your situation.

Has Ford tried to find out why the block developed the crack?

The Block will never crack if it didn't have a manufacturing defect or if someone poured cold water over a hot engine or you drove through a knee deep puddle when the engine was hot or collision damage.

I'm really surprised or shocked for that matter to hear that a modern day ford engine developed a crack in its block, I've heard of engine blocks cracking like urban legends. "yeah we sold our car cus the engine blocked had a crack"

Last edited by msaudf : 28th August 2013 at 19:46.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 19:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

You might be better off sourcing a secondhand engine from a damaged car
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 20:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does the car run fine? or does it run bad? or not at all?

I think you can get away with just a block or a short block depending on the situation.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 21:29   #5
BHPian

Thanks all for the quick responses.

Let me start with a disclosure. The car is of my colleague who knows my passion with team-BHP and cars and wanted me to seek recommendations as he himself is not a member.
The incident happened near the Rajarajeswhari signal on his way back from Mysore. Just about moving off at the signal, he heard a weird "Ttin" sound and engine stopped. After managing to push it to the side, he noticed the dripping engine oil. Contacted Ford service engineer and was advised not to start the engine. Later, the car was towed to the nearest Ford SS.

"Does the car run fine? or does it run bad? or not at all?"
Haven't really tried. Is it safe to start up?

"Has Ford tried to find out why the block developed the crack?"
Not really. One theory is that a pulley on the side was slightly rubbing against the block and that would have weakened the block which gave away. No authentic report on this one, though.

"You might be better off sourcing a secondhand engine from a damaged car"
Sounds like a plan. Thank you. Any leads to start hunting for this in and around Bangalore?
Old 29th August 2013, 11:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the estimate that ford has provided?
Sourcing, checking, and approving any part is a major headache, more so when it is such a major repair. If your friend doesnt have the knowledge, or the time, he would be better off getting it from ford itself. Otherwise, a haphazard or make-do job from outside may end up costing much much more.

But again, thats all dependent on the original question: how much have ford quoted?
Old 29th August 2013, 11:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

I feel sorry for what your friend had to go through. But I find it surprising that the engine cracked on its own. Were there not any telltale signs like funny noises, or drip marks?

And considering that Ford has discontinued the 1.4 version 5 years ago, are they still making engine parts for that model? If the block is the same as the 1.6's, then I guess he is assured of a genuine replacement. If I were in his place, I'd always stick to the manufacturer's parts.
Old 29th August 2013, 12:47   #8
Team-BHP Support

Before you do anything, has a compression test been done on the engine to prove there is a crack in the block. Have your friend seen the crack?
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks