Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:43   #1
BHPian

Review: MMI version 8.0 on the XUV500

Well I used this system intensevely in May/June 2012 when I travelled from Mumbai to Nanital and back covering a distance of over 4500Kms.
During the trip I faced some difficulties while blindly following the directions on the display. Thankfully due to detailed guidance and directions by fellow Team-Bhp member DDDHRUV I was able to find my way back to the main roads.
I’ve attached just two instances when the maps miss directed me. There were other instances too especially within the citys/towns. At that time the version installed on my system was V7.0.
Name:  Wrong route 1.bmp
Views: 1018
Size:  908.3 KBName:  Wrong route 2.bmp
Views: 1046
Size:  853.2 KB
The red arrow was the route directed by the GPS while in actual fact I should have used the blue route.

I contacted MMI who initially kept asking me to select various options which were not available on our version of the maps.
Later MMI declined to help saying
.... navigation application which is there in your XUV500 is custom designed keeping the limitations of hardware.
This is the reason that route selection option is not available.
UNQUOTE

Well I logged on to MapMyIndia web site and in the FAQ’s (http://www.mapmyindia.com/navigator/support/faqs) they have mentioned the following:
How do I get route information or change route settings?
Once you have set the route, you can view/edit Route settings by clicking on the black Route button present in the lower left corner of the screen. This brings out a menu where you can do the following:
a) Trip Overview > Bird's eye view of the entire trip
b) Trip Summary > Details of the trip, including distance and estimated time
c) Places Along the Trip > Different categories of points found along the trip
d) Delete this trip > Deletes the current trip
e) Via points list > Delete, or change the order of the via points
f) Maneuvers list > List of driving distances and turns along the trip
g) Demonstrate > Gives a demo of the trip
h) Drive this trip > Starts the route as the current one.
i) Route and vehicle types > Choose from Fastest/Shortest/Optimal route types and Passenger/Taxi/Pedestrian vehicle type
j) Avoid road types > Road types to avoid during the trip
k) Exclude road types > Road types to exclude during the trip

l) Save this trip > Saves this trip so that its available in "My saved routes" in the main menu.
UNQUOTE

Of the above features the ones highlighted in bold were not available on our systems.
It was very obvious that MapMyIndia short changing us XUV500 Owners.
So that’s when I started a serious dialogue with M&M and Nippon.

I thought that with the upgrade to V7.1 these issues would get sorted out – but the upgrade did not include those features.

Finally I was put in touch with Mr. Neeraj of Nippon, who understood the problems faced and now with the latest version 8.0, I am pleased to see these features are all included.

The new version has an added feature- especially for the Metro cities, where it advises you to keep to the correct lane. This is useful as often you are on the right hand side taking a flyover instead of the road on the left where you actually need to turn off from, or worse - you are stuck on the left lane when actually you should be taking the flyover!
Review: MMI version 8.0 on the XUV500-multi-lane.jpg
The funny part is that you need to set the language to ENGLISH (INDIAN) and hear "SANGEETA" voice!!!
Also not sure how many are aware that if you touch the small window on the left upper corner - it repeats the last direction and distance to manoeuver.

So guys go for the upgrade because it is worth it! Happy driving across the country!

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 4th September 2013 at 19:15.
Gerardfdz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 15:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: MMI version 8.0 on the XUV500

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Tech Section. Thanks for sharing!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks