Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Basic questions on the Engine ECU

Hello all,
I have to give a seminar on electronic control unit. Well after referring to many research papers and presentations i did get a rough idea as to what really inside an ECU is. Thanks to our syllabus my internal combustion engine book in the last sem had just 2 pages on ECU's. I am a mechanical guy these ecu's have hell loads of things on electronics and programming. help.
I have the following queries-
1. Which was the first diesel and petrol car to be introduced in india? (petrol i guess was matiz)
2. After researching a lot on types ECU's i found these- The five basic types are Pre-OBD, OBD-0, OBD-O VTEC, OBD-1 and OBD-2. Upon goggling about them i found that they were mostly used in Honda's but upon googling i found no info properly on this everywhere, it was just mentioned about remapping them. What is the difference between all of them just a rough idea? and any other type of ECU's?
It would be really great if you all an help me. thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:08   #2
BHPian

re: Basic questions on the Engine ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It would be really great if you all an help me. thanks

Please do a search here:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...APLHEBDCTRLMDL

http://www.freescale.com/files/share...ide/SG2024.pdf

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...ode=APLDENGMNG

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...LENGINECONTROL

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32b...f?fsrch=1&sr=1

Should be enough. Also look into Renesas site (www.renesas.com) These are not "one glance through and I am a pundit" material: engine management is not easy. But, if you patiently read it, it will give you significant information even if you are a mechie!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 22nd September 2013 at 10:13.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I needed help with the advantages and disadvantages of the ECU's in car.
i know the common ones like emmision control.etc and disadvantages like complicated systems,breakdowns.
Can you people help me list out more of them? esp related to electronics and the programming part if at all there.
Old 22nd September 2013, 15:21   #4
BHPian

First petrol ECU laced car was Daewoo Cielo and diesel was Mercedes Benz E220 CDI. Hope that helps.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I needed help with the advantages and disadvantages of the ECU's in car.
i know the common ones like emmision control.etc and disadvantages like complicated systems,breakdowns.
Sorry but there is very little factual evidence, if any, that ECU's and (more frequent) breakdown are associated. What is true that if there is a fault it takes a different skill set to diagnose and possibly fix the problem. In all my years working on many different cars I have never had a ECU problem. It was always related to the various sensors, wiring loom and very often as simple as battery voltage and or earthing.The only ECU problem I have ever encountered was that the odd component and soldering got loose. Easy to spot, visually and fix, at least on the older ECU. (just solder it back in place)

You do need different tools, if anything you need a proper OBD scanner, appropriate for the respective car and the description of the various error codes And a good Multimeter and knowing how to use!

It's not necessary more complicated. So it's more about having to retrain your staff, or possibly hire new ones with different background and formal schooling. Not all mechanics make Electrical diagnosticians. It's just not for everybody. Vice versa might be true too.

I don't know how much time you have, but Bosch offers excellent training material on all their car electronics. You can find these manuals on Ebay for just a few dollars.

The links provided by lapis provide some very good insights into modern car electronics.

You mention various type related to OBD etc. I'm not sure you can classify the ECU's as such. Although a particular OBD version would probably be applicable to a certain OBD. The differences between the various OBD's can be broadly categorized into two different types. Over the years various adjustements have been made in the physical connector and the interface protocol. The second difference is that the more advanced (i.e. currently OBD-2) offers more functionality in terms of error codes and overall diagnostic and measurement, both static and real time. Also, as OBD evolved over the years more and more functions have been standardized. Although on a modern car the number of manufacturer specific codes and functions can easily outnumber the standard codes

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Good luck with your presentation

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:20   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Hello all,
I have to give a seminar on electronic control unit.
Hi Asit,

Just check the website How Stuff Works for basics on anything.

Proving the link below:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...r-computer.htm

All the best with the presentation.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

ECU itself is subdivided to fields like- Microprocessor, Memory, Communication . Are you looking for something specific or just a presentation with a general overall idea? As told by Jeroen , for starters, Bosch handbooks are a good source.
This is what I referred to while starting off. It's a different matter , I get access to lots of choicest materials through my university library . Sorry, I cannot share them here.

Basic questions on the Engine ECU-image2588619269.jpg

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
After researching a lot on types ECU's i found these- The five basic types are Pre-OBD, OBD-0, OBD-O VTEC, OBD-1 and OBD-2. Upon goggling about them i found that they were mostly used in Honda's but upon googling i found no info properly on this everywhere
OBD is an abbreviation for On-Board Diagnostics, and OBD-1 and OBD-2 are standards (not to be confused with the communication protocols). They are not exclusive to Honda, and you can find almost all vehicle manufacturers having to provide an OBD port for compliance.

I'm not really familiar with ECUs enough to tell you more about them beyond the basics, so I'll leave the topic for someone else on the forum to elaborate more upon.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Sorry for the late reply, was busy with the seminar report submission. Thank you all for your Inputs. My seminar report was submitted
2 days back. Now the final presentation would most likely be in the next week.
A special thanks to Anurag. He had mailed
Me loads of material, which helped me understanding the subject. Thanks buddy!
Now I am Having my prelim exams.
Once done with them I will upload all the material that I had used. It surely will help others!
Thank you all
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 08:31   #10
BANNED

Quote:
A special thanks to Anurag. He had mailed me loads of material, which helped me understanding the subject. Thanks buddy!

Now I am Having my prelim exams
Good that you could submit the report with the articles I mailed you. I'm more than happy to help.

Wanted to post all of it here but was not sure if the way to quote the source as it was plain Google search so I PM'ed you then. Anyway for the benefit of all shall post it here by evening.

Ask the best for your prelims exams.

Anurag.
Old 6th October 2013, 21:25   #11
BANNED

Re: Basic questions on the Engine ECU

Quote:
He had mailed me loads of material, which helped me understanding the subject. Thanks buddy
As promised of posting the articles mailed to Asit on the topic.

Source: As mentioned in my last post, it was a pure Google Search. Thanks to Google.

Anurag.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ECU1.pdf (2.85 MB, 50021 views)
File Type: pdf ECU.pdf (1.42 MB, 615 views)
File Type: pdf Understanding the ECU.pdf (187.5 KB, 4622 views)
File Type: pdf ECU5.pdf (1.72 MB, 1394 views)
File Type: pdf ECU6.pdf (1.42 MB, 272 views)
File Type: pdf ECU3.pdf (1.58 MB, 2627 views)
File Type: pdf ECU4.pdf (1.85 MB, 1092 views)
Old 6th October 2013, 22:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As promised of posting the articles mailed to Asit on the topic.

Source: As mentioned in my last post, it was a pure Google Search. Thanks to Google.

Anurag.
Thanks for sharing them bro!
I am using this link for the presentaion- http://www.enginelogics.com/engine-management-basics/
Old 6th October 2013, 22:26   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for sharing them bro!
I am using this link for the presentaion
Wow,

That is good load of information that you have posted!

Anurag.

Most Viewed