Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:34   #1
BHPian

Problems with a new Polo GT TSI. Quality Issues?

One of the first few guys to take delivery of the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI, my close friend and hardcore petrolhead is now regretting his decision.

The car was just over a week old when there was an issue with the wipers making noise. VW wanted to change the windscreen. I insisted that he do not let them remove the windscreen on a brand new car. Instead we asked them to try replacing the wipers. Isn't that the order in which we should try troubleshooting anyways? The noise went away but returned after a few days. I must mention here that the car is always parked in the comfort of an underground lot.

We tried third party wipers. The noise came back after a few days. VW still wanted to replace the windscreen. Somehow I was not comfortable in my friend letting them do that. So he now lives with the noise.

A month after purchase, there was a rattle from one of the rear doors. I suggested getting the car damped. I know VWs are legendary for their build quality and do not need damping. But we felt it wouldn't hurt to get it done anyways. So off to Satya to get it damped. Thankfully the rattle was gone.

A few weeks later, the steering started rattling. VW tried to blame it on the roads. I asked my friend to drive another polo on the same stretch to see if the noise was there. It wasn't. And the service personnel had to agree that there was something wrong. They said they'll replace the steering rack, tie rods and another suspension component which I cant remember now. We let them.

The noise didn't go away. Worse, the car does not track straight anymore. They now want to replace the column. We haven't let them do that yet. I'm worried that opening up the dashboard may let out the proverbial worms!

It's not very confidence inspiring when people want to try replacing parts one by one rather than diagnosing the cause.

Having said all this, I must stress that the car is absolutely wonderful. But these small niggles really spoil the experience. I'm shocked that VW's flagship hatch can have so many issues! This little car costs more that some sedans!

Can anyone help with a few email addresses or phone numbers? Perhaps of some highly placed VW officials.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by Tassem : 23rd September 2013 at 22:36.
Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:14   #2
BHPian

re: Problems with a new Polo GT TSI. Quality Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

The noise didn't go away. Worse, the car does not track straight anymore. They now want to replace the column. We haven't let them do that yet. I'm worried that opening up the dashboard may let out the proverbial worms!
Hi Tassem, sorry to hear this news. Which service center you dealt with? Is it VW hosa road?

LOTHAR
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very Unfortunate and sorry to hear this. But, how are these issues relate to GT TSI? Does VW manufactures GT differently than normal Polo's? I am confused.
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of the first few guys to take delivery of the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI, my close friend and hardcore petrolhead is now regretting his decision.

. . .

Can anyone help with a few email addresses or phone numbers? Perhaps of some highly placed VW officials.
- First of all, let's change the thread name - one car with a set of problems does not give any indication about problems with a model; the thread name is highly mis-leading. Would suggest editing the same.

- On the outright, while your point about (non-)diagnosis might be quite correct, but I feel you might be preventing proper warranty services by your suggestions. E.g. getting wipers changed when they have been stating the windscreen as the problem. If I were you, I'd complain foul after their work doesn't solve the problem.

- The steering rack issue clearly seems to be a bigger issue, but why wouldn't you want them to get the column changed? I'd find it a bigger issue if they are talking of "repairing" it instead of part replacement.

- If the current VW workshop seems to be the issue, why not get a second opinion; I believe there are more than one workshop at Bangalore right?

Overall, your friend might be finding it hard to come to terms with these issues in a brand new car; while you (and he) follows up with management through all channels, (if I were you) I'd also take a lenient approach on the showroom, and let them try to solve the problem.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 23rd September 2013 at 23:47.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Lothar View Post
Hi Tassem, sorry to hear this news. Which service center you dealt with? Is it VW hosa road?

LOTHAR
Bangalore Motors at Hesarghatta. He has also visited other service centers in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Very Unfortunate and sorry to hear this. But, how are these issues relate to GT TSI? Does VW manufactures GT differently than normal Polo's? I am confused.
I have no idea either. Perhaps they've made design changes in addition to the engine and gearbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
- First of all, let's change the thread name - one car with a set of problems does not give any indication about problems with a model; the thread name is highly mis-leading.
What would be an ideal name for the thread then? He has a GT TSI and it has quality issues. How else should I put it?

Quote:
On the outright, while your point about (non-)diagnosis might be quite correct, but I feel you might be preventing proper warranty services by your suggestions. E.g. getting wipers changed when they have been stating the windscreen as the problem. If I were you, I'd complain foul after their work doesn't solve the problem.
Would you let someone open up the windscreen of a week old million rupee car just because they feel it may have an issue? I know I wouldn't. Forget a car. How would one feel if a week old cell phone started having issues and you have to replace a part?

Quote:
The steering rack issue clearly seems to be a bigger issue, but why wouldn't you want them to get the column changed? I'd find it a bigger issue if they are talking of "repairing" it instead of part replacement.
We have no issues with them changing the column. The car is just over three months old now. My friend has a 19 page dossier on all the service visits. Do we keep replacing parts as they go bad? Would this be ok in any other country other than India?

Quote:
If the current VW workshop seems to be the issue, why not get a second opinion; I believe there are more than one workshop at Bangalore right?
He has visited multiple service centres.

He has been more than patient on this matter. What irks us is when they tell us that its normal for the car to rattle, or for it to pull in one direction, or for things to randomly fail. Yes, they're ready to replace parts. But that's not a favor. The cost of the warranty is factored into the price of the car and they have to honor warranty claims. The issue here is with all these things happening to a new car.

Quote:
Overall, your friend might be finding it hard to come to terms with these issues in a brand new car; while you (and he) follows up with management through all channels, (if I were you) I'd also take a lenient approach on the showroom, and let them try to solve the problem.
We haven't even raised our voices at the service guys. It's not their fault that things are going wrong. And they're doing all they can. But that does not negate the fact that my friend bought himself a box of troubles that cost him close to ten lakhs! What can we do? Shouldn't we share it with people we know and care about? Why else do we have forums? When something nice happens I share it here. So I do the same when something bad happens.

Last edited by Tassem : 24th September 2013 at 00:02.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 15:35   #6
BHPian

The Steering column and rack is being replaced again with parts from a new lot. However VW is claiming that they're doing this for goodwill as all cars rattle over slightly bad roads.

Could fellow VW Polo owners confirm if this is the case? Is there a rattle from near the steering column on bad roads? Not potholes, but slightly rough roads.

Thanks!

Tassem.
Old 24th September 2013, 16:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- First of all, let's change the thread name - one car with a set of problems does not give any indication about problems with a model; the thread name is highly mis-leading. Would suggest editing the same.
Done. The thread title is much more specific to this case now. VW has been selling this car for years now and nothing significant has changed in the GT (essentially a Polo with a new engine and gearbox), at least nothing to affect the windshield and steering rack.

One clarification I want from OP is: when VW is recommending changing the windshield (presumably under warranty) and you know that changing the wipers doesn't solve the problem, what's the hesitation in letting the windshield be changed?
noopster is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 16:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We tried third party wipers. The noise came back after a few days.
There's your answer. If there is noise when the wipers wipe the windshield, its either the wiper or the glass that's causing it. If the noise did not go after you replaced the wiper, its probably the glass. The glass may not be finished properly and may have small dots or scratches that could be causing the sound.

If VW is willing to replace it under warranty, why the hesitation? Replacing the windshield glass is a simple procedure with all the tools and facilities that workshops have these days. My 2 year old Laura had its glass replaced when a pebble caused a crack in the glass. The fit is as good as original.

Quote:
Would you let someone open up the windscreen of a week old million rupee car just because they feel it may have an issue?.
No, I would insist they replace the windshield!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 24th September 2013 at 17:02.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 17:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problems with a new Polo GT TSI. Quality Issues?

The main points as I see it:
- VW is not doing a favour by replacing parts. They need to be replaced because something is wrong in a new product.
- In a new car this is horrendous. I would be hopping mad if steering issues cropped up on a 1L bike, forget a 10L car. especially on a brand being built up as 'german' quality. Yes the SAs are maybe not at fault. But this needs to be escalated to top levels in VW. I hope someone here can share the email ids if available.
- Not acceptable for any car, definitely they need to save face on what they consider to be a launch for the enthusiasts. Or are they recycling old stock in a new fitting?!
- Windshield glass replacement should be done without any concerns, but the steering issues would worry me more. Any knowledge transfer between Hyundai and VW in place?!

In my opinion the thread title is secondary to the issue itself on which more attention is required.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 20:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

On the outright thanks for the further inputs - makes your orginal post/cry-out far more reasonable than what gets communicated in the first post.

Quote:
Would you let someone open up the windscreen of a week old million rupee car just because they feel it may have an issue? I know I wouldn't. Forget a car. How would one feel if a week old cell phone started having issues and you have to replace a part?
Unfortunately the blatant fact is the car does have a problem. And it needs to be resolved. If VW provides additional apologies/services/freebies, then it would be nice. But then this is VW we are talking about. Let's be realistic.

Quote:
We have no issues with them changing the column. The car is just over three months old now. My friend has a 19 page dossier on all the service visits. Do we keep replacing parts as they go bad? Would this be ok in any other country other than India?
Again (unfortunately) the above point remains valid to these Qs. Sorry, but you know the answers to your rhetorical Qs.

Quote:
Yes, they're ready to replace parts. But that's not a favor. The cost of the warranty is factored into the price of the car and they have to honor warranty claims.
Trust me, that's not really normal in the Indian auto-market. I'm being brutally realistic - but that's me. I would (and I have in the past) consider the same course for my own car. A lot of our fellow bhpians, including several VW car owners are not even getting this "benefit".

Quote:
What can we do? Shouldn't we share it with people we know and care about? Why else do we have forums? When something nice happens I share it here. So I do the same when something bad happens.
Please do. Not only here, but even other social networks. Make noise, create a lot of problems (hopefully!) for VW management. But let the work be done. Maybe you are allowing the work to be done on-ground, but the tone of your first post suggests otherwise.

And please do keep us updated on the situation.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 20:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone help with a few email addresses or phone numbers? Perhaps of some highly placed VW officials..
Sorry, I don't have any email ids or phone numbers to share, but I can suggest one thing that may do the trick. Do a Google search for "linkedin volkswagen india" and you will surely get some results for a few big shots in VW India.

Good luck to your friend in getting the issues resolved!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 21:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Please do. Not only here, but even other social networks. Make noise, create a lot of problems (hopefully!) for VW management. But let the work be done. Maybe you are allowing the work to be done on-ground, but the tone of your first post suggests otherwise.
You misunderstood me. Our intention is not to create a scene. And for that matter, this was put up only on TBhp with the expectation that we'd have someone in the know advising us. We just want somebody from VW to look into the matter and deem if its normal for all these things to go bad because the service guys are only keen on replacing parts.

Of course we let them change the parts. They've had a go at whatever they want except the windshield. We're not confident that they can do a proper windshield replacement and do not want to open another can of worms. Everything else they've had a free hand. My friend had even opted for the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
the steering issues would worry me more. Any knowledge transfer between Hyundai and VW in place?!
LOL! This was the first thing I asked when my friend told me about the rattle. I love my hyundai though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
when VW is recommending changing the windshield (presumably under warranty) and you know that changing the wipers doesn't solve the problem, what's the hesitation in letting the windshield be changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If VW is willing to replace it under warranty, why the hesitation?
VW wanted to change the windshield without first replacing the wipers. Zero diagnosis. We were surprised that they were willing for an expensive replacement and at the same time shocked that they did not want to troubleshoot.

When we buy a new car, we dont want trials and errors. A customer would be at much ease if he or she believed that they were being helped by trained professionals who knew what they were doing.

And c'mon guys, who would be happy about opening up the windshield on a week old car? I know people who'd be furious if they had to replace a wheel cap on a new car. Let alone a windshield!

And lets not forget that we decided to start this thread after cooperating with them in their trials and errors for three months. A brand new car with its steering rack, column, tie rods and other suspension components replaced. We might as well get the windshield replaced. And I'm sure the DSG is looking for a good time to pack up as well.

And I'm surprised that its ok that these issues occur as long as the manufacturer agrees to replace the part. What about when the warranty expires? Is it too much to ask for reliability? I guess we're so used to the pathetic service being dished out to Indian consumers that we lap up whatever tiny bit of help we can get.

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 24th September 2013 at 21:45.
Old 24th September 2013, 22:59   #13
BHPian

If it's of any help. Years ago my father had a similar issue with his brand new Sierra turbo. Strange noise from windshield similar to what you explained. Ultimately he replaced the windshield from his own pocket and the sound stopped. So what they are telling you is right in all probability.
Old 24th September 2013, 23:00   #14
BHPian

Not sure if you already tried this link
http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/tools...omer-care.html

Write to customer.care@volkswagen.co.in so it goes into their central corporate records.

There is a general toll free number as well as contacts of service center heads.

Yes and I too suggest go with replacing the windshield. These guys know what they are doing. The SA would have seen similar issue on other cars so knew where it was coming from. Your is a new car so immediately advised a replacement.

Last edited by HillMan : 24th September 2013 at 23:03.
Old 25th September 2013, 08:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how useful this is for you, but on FB a gentleman from Hyderabad has reported an issue with his Vento.
In his words "the car suddenly loses power and the steering hardenswhile driving and a spring like orange light starts blinking."
He also says "I was traveling with my family on a highway, while overtaking a vehicle my Vento lost power and the steering tightened up and I escaped narrowly". This issue sounds very similar to the one that our fellow bhpian skanchan faced on his i20.

VW has told him that it is because the turbo hose pipe has a leak or a crack. Car is bought Aug 2011

The gentleman from Hyderabad has also tried to contact VW Germany who told him "VW India is a different company and they would not involve in the same". This person has also put up his contact details in case someone can help/ needs to reach out to him.

All I am trying to say is please ensure the car is completely rectified before any highway trips. In my opinion it is not a good thing to have at the back of your mind everytime you try to overtake another vehicle.
Please keep us posted on how things progress in this case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks