Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 18:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

Its been three years since I got my Swift Diesel and I've been getting the PUC check done every 3 months (after the first year where the PUC certificate was valid for one year). However, there's not been a single time I was asked for the certificate at any kind of routine traffic check.

I'm one of those who gets oil & filter changed at 5k intervals religiously and EGR valve cleaned at 30k intervals so the vehicle being out of shape isn't what I get it for, just that its the law.

However, my car was once rejected at one of the PUC booths as it failed the test but then I got to know of the "state of the art calibration mechanisms" that are in place and I simply started getting it done elsewhere.

I've got it done at places where they simply give you the certificate without checking anything and even from places where they check it properly.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

I always have one and i always try and get a new one a few days before the older one expires so there is not even a small interim period where the car is running without one.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:37   #33
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Yes, As per Law I have a valid PUC Certificate but I know that the method of carrying out the test was definitely wrong.

Even though the system is said to be online and that the PUC center is linked to the RTO here in Mangalore, the operator freezes the readings as soon as the engine is cranked before the readings start rising up and stabilize. Thus making you pass the test always.
Old 25th September 2013, 19:01   #34
BHPian

I do get my PUC done religiously but thats just to avoid fines. I dont believe any test center takes readings properly.
When stopped by any traffic policeman, the two things that are checked are license n puc certificate. If you have both, it ends right there else there is always a conversation about 1000rs fine etc etc.
As long as it works in such cases, I consider it money well spent.

But I do believe that there need to be such tests especially to curb pollution. We could do with inhaling healthier air.
Old 25th September 2013, 20:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

I know that my car always is in top notch condition, for my own sake.
But I do get a PUC every 6 months for i) it is required by law ii) traffic cops fine you in the range of Rs 2000 if you do not have a PUC, and I do not want to get into an altercation.

But I feel that the terms can be reshuffled for private vehicles:

No PUC required for vehicles below 5 years
Once a year PUC for vehicles in 5-10 years
Once every 6 months PUC for vehicles 10+ years

Last edited by blackasta : 25th September 2013 at 20:46.
Old 25th September 2013, 21:35   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
But I do get a PUC every 6 months for i) it is required by law ii) traffic cops fine you in the range of Rs 2000 if you do not have a PUC, and I do not want to get into an altercation.
The main problem are the cops all over the nation. Some cities they are not bothered but in certain cities they fine heavy for not having a PUC certificate.

If questioned the cops not many would know the full-form of PUC also!

Anurag.
Old 26th September 2013, 02:46   #37
BHPian

I always have a valid PUC for all my cars, largely as a precautionary measure against cops. There are a lot of police barricades/check posts near my area due to a number of bars and restaurants, so the cops always tend to stop me whenever I'm returning late at night. Having said that, I have only had to show my PUC once and all the other times the conversations go as follows —

Cop: Kahan rehte ho? (Where do you live?)
Me: XYZ (Usually stopped close to home, so my location is always around the corner)
Cop: Kagaz saare hain? License, RC, Insurance, PUC? (Got all the papers?)
Me: Ji bhaiya, saare hain. (Yes, I've got all of them)
Cop: PUC bhi hai? Pakka na? (PUC too? You sure?)
Me: Haan ji, pakka. (Yes, sure.)
Cop: Accha, license dikhao aur jao. (Okay, show me your license and leave).

I actually even told the cop once that my PUC had recently expired, but he let me leave anyway after telling me to make sure I get it done the next day. Probably cause he recognises me by now.

On the subject of getting actual tests done — I don't bother. My Opel has always been a borderline case and lately has always been slightly over the limit, so the test is done without the measuring tool inside the tailpipe. While the other cars are healthy, but since the PUC attendant knows me (I take all the cars on the same day, one after the other), he doesn't bother. He does take a 10 rupee tip per car though, and I don't mind because it saves me the hassle of waiting for something that I already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If questioned the cops not many would know the full-form of PUC also!
Over here, in Delhi, they just simply call it "pollushan".
Old 26th September 2013, 07:24   #38
BHPian

Voted : Yes

I have PUC certificates for both my cars, and i regularly get them renewed (6 months +/- 2 days)

I have been in a situations where my PUC certificate was checked, almost everytime the cops are conducting a routine check, they want to look at your
1. driving license
2. vehicle registration
3. vehicle insurance
4. PUC certificate
5. Sun films (or lack of it)

Although sometimes they just come close, stick their nose next your mouth and ask your name (to check for alcohol in your breath)

I make it a point to renew PUC, although it has happened that the 'PUC guy' asks me "Petrol hai ?" and just gives me the receipt without even bothering with any sort of test, so the point/logic behind is lost.
Old 26th September 2013, 08:55   #39
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I make sure the PUC is renewed every 6 months. These days RTO checks are quite regular in and around Bangalore so better to have this. Also, when traveling outside the state possibility of RTO checks are more, have seen many in Kerala. Sometimes, even the traffic cops (experienced this in Kerala) use the PUC as a trump card - if you have all other documents in place, they ask for PUC
It takes just about 10 minutes and usually costs less than Rs.100 to get the PUC done so better to have it than get into trouble with these officials, definitely not worth it.
Old 26th September 2013, 09:55   #40
BHPian

This is for everyone to see why India has failed itself as a civilized society and as a state at large. Very aware and self-respecting citizens carefully and knowingly choose to disobey a law citing others' shortcomings. I wonder if they would also prefer to excrete in public citing the same reason.
If you have any problem with the law, take it up with competent authorities. It might also happen that your subordinates may think rightly or wrongly, that some of your actions are not justified- would you morally agree if they protest in a similar fashion by disobeying your commands?
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 11:40   #41
BHPian

I didn't know until last year that we have get pollution check done on 4 wheelers every 6 months. I had been driving my Swift since October 2008 and had never got PUC for it. Only few months back i got PUC for all our vehicles (Swift, Beat(Sold Now) and my in-laws WagonR. Now i drive a duster and a reminder is already set on my RoadTrip app to alert me after 1 year completion to renew PUC.
Old 26th September 2013, 12:03   #42
BHPian

I always have a valid PUC. The cops are quite strict about it here in Siliguri West Bengal. If they stop you then they check everything including PUC. One time my uncle had an expired PUC and he was threatened with a Rs. 1500 fine. I dont know how correct that fine amount is.
Old 26th September 2013, 12:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
This is for everyone to see why India has failed itself as a civilized society and as a state at large. Very aware and self-respecting citizens carefully and knowingly choose to disobey a law citing others' shortcomings. I wonder if they would also prefer to excrete in public citing the same reason.

If you have any problem with the law, take it up with competent authorities. It might also happen that your subordinates may think rightly or wrongly, that some of your actions are not justified- would you morally agree if they protest in a similar fashion by disobeying your commands?
India has failed because India is a forced concept. (it didn't evolve naturally/organically)
Civilized society in India has failed because civilized society itself is a forced concept in India. (never evolved automatically)

In such a situation it is akin to trying to be a non violent MK Gandhi in a wild jungle filled with wild predators. You wont survive long.

What you have said works only when civilized systems are in place.

Just to illustrate my point - there is a hot thread on TBHP - one post caught my attention. A foreigner (perhaps a Brit) driving more recklessly than Indians (cutting off, honking etc). You suppose the foreigner would have held to his moral high ground.
No sir. He became like people living here. He adapted to what worked here.

Human beings are quite similar world over - yet some places are much better, and some place have gone to the dogs.

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th September 2013 at 12:16.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
India has failed because India is a forced concept. (it didn't evolve naturally/organically)
Civilized society in India has failed because civilized society itself is a forced concept in India. (never evolved automatically)
I would put it as something less dramatic , India has 117 policeman per 100,000 people which is similar to ungoverned countries like Liberia.
We have about 18 judges per million people. The ratio is deteriorating since independence.

So it is simple plain lack of governance , Our politicians choose to spend money in vote catching schemes such as MNREGA , Food security bill , free laptops rather then old fashioned things like policing , justice delivery and law enforcement.
And politicians are not to be blamed they do so because people vote for 1 rupee rice and free laptop/ cycle /TV whatever rather then mundane things like law enforcement and development.

We have lots of laws but no law enforcement.

Secondly no country evolves naturally and organically , World history shows there is always lot of violence wars and bloodshed before a country is formed.

China for instance has more then 50 ethnic groups and multiple languages some of these are not mutually intelligible.
But after cultural revolution of 60s CPC forced whole world to call them dialects and world knows it as Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese Chinese rather then Putonghua or Yue languages. Can you Imagine Gujarat Indian or Bengal Indian languages rather then Gujarati or Bengali for instance ?

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2013 at 15:41.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 15:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I would put it as something less dramatic , India has 117 policeman per 100,000 people which is similar to ungoverned countries like Liberia.
We have about 18 judges per million people. The ratio is deteriorating since independence.

So it is simple plain lack of governance , Our politicians choose to spend money in vote catching schemes such as MNREGA , Food security bill , free laptops rather then old fashioned things like policing , justice delivery and law enforcement.
And politicians are not to be blamed they do so because people vote for 1 rupee rice and free laptop/ cycle /TV whatever rather then mundane things like law enforcement and development.

We have lots of laws but no law enforcement.

Secondly no country evolves naturally and organically , World history shows there is always lot of violence wars and bloodshed before a country is formed.

China for instance has more then 50 ethnic groups and multiple languages some of these are not mutually intelligible.
But after cultural revolution of 60s CPC forced whole world to call them dialects and world knows it as Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese Chinese rather then Putonghua or Yue languages. Can you Imagine Gujarat Indian or Bengal Indian languages rather then Gujarati or Bengali for instance ?
- Agree with the first 3/4 of your comment, but what has language to do with better enforcement/policing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks