Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 309 79.03%
No 82 20.97%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 16:44   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

I may be a naive person but I am saddened to see the ~18% non compliance and the comments defending the same!
82% compliance is not bad at all.

Quote:
GTO will correct me if I am wrong, but I presume we are a pretty highly educated, politically aware of Indian and global developments and aspirational requirements (pollution, global warming etc.), vocal about our PoV and reasonable opinion-makers, generally cosmopolitan & urban/semi-urban, quite web-savvy and definitely owners of multiple vehicles.
It's a legal requirement that you need to get a PUC certificate every 6 months. Most of "us" take good care of our cars anyway and this is just another piece of paper to us. Also, when was the last time you saw a PUC test giving a negative result? Most times they hand you over the empty sticker or ask, "Kya likhoo, sir?"

Not condoning anything illegal here, jus' saying!
Old 27th September 2013, 18:32   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Thanks, that's quite informative. But there seems to be no mention of PUC norms for 2 wheelers. Any idea about that?

Also, the gazette PDF says that PUC certificate for BS4 vehicles is valid for one year. But you still need a PUC certificate for a new vehicle, isn't it?

Since 2 wheelers are still on BS-III across the country, they will need PUC after 1st year, which need to be renewed every 6months (3 months in some states)

A new vehicle doesn't need PUC until its birthday
Old 27th September 2013, 22:14   #63
Senior - BHPian

A new vehicle comes with a PUC from the factory though we do not get to see it 'cause it is a type certification that gives a blanket cover for a given model for one whole year from the date of registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_K View Post
A new vehicle doesn't need PUC until its birthday

There were some changes made to the PUC regulations earlier this year.

For vehicles registered on and before March 31, 2010 they need to get PUC revalidated every 6/3 months as per whatever was the period stipulated in their RTO jurisdictions prior to the new rule kicking in. In Dilli this revalidation period is 3 months as was before.

For vehicles registered on and after April 1, 2010 the revalidation period is 1 year and this is uniform all across the country including Dilli.

Before someone starts a discussion on Mfg. date versus billing date versus Registration date as on 1st April, 2010, let me clear that up too. My ride is manufactured in 2009, billed in March 2010 and registered in April 2010. These details were fed in and uploaded on to the RTO server by the P.U.C. centre here in Dilli and after a good 8-10 minutes the date of validity on the certificate as given by the system was 1 year from the date that the PUC was generated.

That scenario is unthinkable in Dilli, not just now but in the past too.... unless I am missing the jest behind that remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's a legal requirement that you need to get a PUC certificate every 6 months. Also, when was the last time you saw a PUC test giving a negative result?Most times they hand you over the empty sticker or ask, "Kya likhoo, sir?"

Old 27th September 2013, 22:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Also, when was the last time you saw a PUC test giving a negative result? Most times they hand you over the empty sticker or ask, "Kya likhoo, sir?"

Thats strange about the blank sheet. I thought they had similar implementation across India. In Bangalore, we get PUC certificate along with the photograph of the number plate and reading printed. I get an SMS after the PUC check is complete and the certificate is generated.

One thing I agree, it is not a fool proof process and the readings can be altered easily. The readings are not consistent across testing centers either.

Another thing if you noticed, the qualifying numbers are pretty high. If you failed the test, either the testing machine had a problem or your car is in trouble.

This is also one of the reason why smoke spewing ricks also get away with pass certificates.
Old 27th September 2013, 23:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Thats strange about the blank sheet. I thought they had similar implementation across India. In Bangalore, we get PUC certificate along with the photograph of the number plate and reading printed. I get an SMS after the PUC check is complete and the certificate is generated.

One thing I agree, it is not a fool proof process and the readings can be altered easily. The readings are not consistent across testing centers either.

Another thing if you noticed, the qualifying numbers are pretty high. If you failed the test, either the testing machine had a problem or your car is in trouble.

This is also one of the reason why smoke spewing ricks also get away with pass certificates.
Its very common in small towns to pay 50 bucks and get a PUC paper in less than 5 mins. No photo or test is required in Punjab. While I lived there, many times I have taken a PUC without the vehicle around. You just need to give a currency note, chassis number and regn number.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 10:42   #66
BHPian

Just got a PUC done last night for my Honda Dio after been reminded by this thread!

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2013, 13:56   #67
BHPian

A PUC isn't optional in Mumbai. IF you're ever pulled over, the cops make it a point to ask for your license, insurance and PUC. Don't care much for registration.

It's a ridiculous practise, especially for relatively newer looking cars, but it's a rule nonetheless. I've seen diesel "Tourist" cars with insane exhaust fumes, but never seen them get pulled over, even at a check point.

Personally, I'd prefer an annual re-registration process, exactly like the one in U.A.E. A small fee + a thorough evaluation of your car to make sure it meets safety and road standards annually. One can hope for a certain level of standardisation of vehicles.
Old 28th September 2013, 16:54   #68
BHPian

Obtained PUC certificate for my Waggy today. The first anniversary is nearing.
The certificate is valid for 6 months.
It is printed on a white A5 size paper with a hologram affixed.
Charged Rs.75/-
Old 28th September 2013, 20:01   #69

From the above posts it is seen that in Bangalore the PUC is valid for 6 months. However, in Delhi PUC is valid for 90 days (3 months).
Old 28th September 2013, 21:50   #70
BHPian

Generally are cops let go new vehicles. But what's the time frame to get the PUC done for new cars?
Old 28th September 2013, 22:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
How does it the law not make sense??

The PUC shows that you are maintaining your car in decent enough shape so that it doesnt pollute the environment too much.

If you dont have a PUC how is any verifying authority supposed to know whether your car is meeting the norms or not.

I am not saying that if your car does not have a valid PUC, your car must be polluting the environment. But how are the cops supposed to know that??

By your logic, as long as you think you can drive properly you dont need to have a driving license with you. Not having a driving license on you does not mean that you dont know how to drive. But how are the cops supposed to know whether you do actually know how to drive properly or not??
Agreed! Now hear this. Everyone knows that BS4 came into picture in 2009, and all vehicles manufactured thereafter fell under the BS4 norms by default if registered in the selected list of 29 cities including Delhi/NCR.

Now, in Delhi, a new law has cropped up. It says that if the vehicle RC does not have BS4 mentioned in the "Vehicle name" row then one cannot get the PUC check done.

Fact is that the vehicle name punched in the RC copy entire depends on what name is being mentioned in the invoice given by the manufacturer to the dealer which is then submitted to the RTO at the time of registration. I have a Figo-2011 manufactured & I cannot get the PUC issued for this vehicle, despite the fact that it simply cannot be BS3, as it cannot be sold to Delhi dealers post 2009. Presently, PUC guys simply just refuse to give certification.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th September 2013 at 07:08. Reason: fixing quote
Old 28th September 2013, 22:38   #72
BHPian

A couple of weeks back, I renewed my bike's PUC. The testing center guy asked for the previous certificate. He entered the same readings for the bike and printed the certificate with new photograph. This was at a fuel pump in Residency road.

Around the same time, I renewed the car's PUC at HSR layout. There they tested the car and then printed the certificate with new (actual) readings. I also received a SMS for the car PUC.
Old 29th September 2013, 03:00   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft tunes View Post
Presently, PUC guys simply just refuse to give certification.
Why can't you get the PUC under the BS3 norms? And, who informed you of such a rule?

Also, your Ford service centre will probably have their own PUC booth, so get one from there. Or in a worst case scenario, just pay the guy 20 bucks extra and get it made. I'd do that rather than deal with cops.
Old 29th September 2013, 09:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Figo-2011 manufactured & I cannot get the PUC issued for this vehicle, despite the fact that it simply cannot be BS3, as it cannot be sold to Delhi dealers post 2009. Presently, PUC guys simply just refuse to give certification.
PUC has nothing to do with year of manufacturing. In a testing center they input the year of manufacturing and type of vehicle. Based on this info the qualifying emission scores are set. Your vehicle than us tested against those parameters.
Old 29th September 2013, 12:12   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Figo-2011 manufactured & I cannot get the PUC issued for this vehicle, despite the fact that it simply cannot be BS3, as it cannot be sold to Delhi dealers post 2009.
I have a 94 model MM540 for which I obtained a regular legal PUC certificate in Bangalore and everything is under control.

The PUC verification has nothing to do with year of manufacture, the NO, HC and other factors vary with the applicable BS norms - meaning BS2 parameters are less stringent than BS3 and so on and so forth!

As long as the emissions are in line with the BS to which the vehicle has been manufactured, it's fine!

The relevant acts determine which BS category vehicle may be sold at which city/area, the PUC verifier is not the authority to decide whether a PUC certificate can be issued or not!

New Delhi for example may ban the plying of vehicles below BS3, but should the tester refuse to check emissions of a BS2 vehicle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks