Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 21:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Making of the XUV5OO on Discovery. 29 Sept 13 @ 8 pm

Is it just me or the show was pretty boring. Except for the sheer size of the plant there was nothing extraordinary about the show. In fact the Team-BHP original review was much more informative then the show itself.

Left watching the show after 30 mins or so.
Switch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 21:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hey guys, hang on. It is really there on Discovery channel @ 08:00pm on Sunday, the 29th Sep 2013. Today afternoon while watching Discovery I saw the ad. So have patience for one more day please
Finally saw the programme on Discovery. It was a good one hour show. Right from conceptualization, prototyping, R&D to Manufacturing Engineering & actual production the story unfolded dramatically. It was a good show for the general populace, however being a TBHPian I expected much more.

I liked the part though, which showed the extra efforts put in by M&M in controlling the NVH, that really shows inside & outside the vehicle. It is one of the most silent SUVs on the Indian roads today.

I would really appreciate if Discovery can up with the part-2 of this show, in which they can highlight how M&M has taken the customer feedback/complaints positively & made improvements in the vehicle.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 21:42   #18
BHPian

I too watched the show and felt it is an elaborated one. But in my opinion the focus was more on product development area. Anyways nice to see the shopfloor from where Cheetahs are rolling down.
Old 29th September 2013, 21:48   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Is it just me or the show was pretty boring.
Precisely my thoughts. I have seen far better shows on the Discovery Channel and this was a let down. No depth to it and a very superficial view of its origins and development.
The good part was that my close friend and TBHPian Kaiserketkar was featured in it.
Old 29th September 2013, 22:25   #20
SDP
Team-BHP Support

There was one scene where they showed the XUV being tested for side-impact. I have not seen that footage earlier. Am curious to know if the vehicle toppled post impact. Any idea? Any links to YouTube video which shows the side-impact test?

Last edited by SDP : 29th September 2013 at 22:36.
Old 29th September 2013, 22:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There was one scene where they showed the XUV being tested for side-impact. I have not seen that footage earlier. Am curious to know if the vehicle toppled post impact. Any idea? Any links to YouTube video which shows the side-impact test?

The vidoe's about section has results of the side impact test.

Last edited by bblost : 29th September 2013 at 22:54.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 22:42   #22
BHPian

After watching the megafactory series of various high end sports cars, felt the XUV show was a lot less detailed. A lot of time was wasted showing the car on the road, again a lot of repetitions of the same set of shots. Looked more like a marketing video or presentation meant to attract new buyers, rather than to give the high level production details to its current owners.

Honestly felt, a 1hr episode did not do justice to this great car. Think it should have been a 2 or 3 part episode covering design, production floor, the various stand-out features, the IIS, android app, maybe R&D of parts like the brakes, overall testing and the rest in a little more detail.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 22:45   #23

me too watched the show closely fellas....good cover to Pawan Goenka, Harith Santharam, Vivek Nayar, Ramkripa Anintharam and the big boss Anand Mahindra. Good detailing and a wholsesome picture for the ones who are not well aware of the advanced technology at m&m! still would love to see a part II of the same show soon....discovery are you listening...
Old 29th September 2013, 22:47   #24
BHPian

I agree the show was not much elaborate.. But before that I had watched such shows of BMW,Skoda,Audi and Merc rolling out from the plants. This is first time ever am watching an Indian Product (From sketch to a full version). I felt really happy..
Old 29th September 2013, 23:01   #25
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The vidoe's about section has results of the side impact test.
Thanks bblost!
That's the frontal-offset one. I have seen this one. Besides part of this one, the show showed another vehicle tested for side-impact (the classic T-bone scenario). In that shot, the side-curtain bags do inflate as expected, but both the left side tyres (the side on which the impact happened) lift up in the air quite a bit. The show edited the clip at that point. So not sure if the left tyres landed back on ground or the vehicle toppled. Did a brief search on YouTube, but couldn't locate that footage.

Edit: Just saw last line in your post. Thanks. Let me check that out.

Last edited by SDP : 29th September 2013 at 23:05.
Old 29th September 2013, 23:11   #26

Besides there wasn't a mention on the interiors, electronics and driving dynamics. It was focused on design and production. But for an Indian automobile to be featured on the Discovery Channel is an achievement. Perhaps they should come out with a part II series on the cheetah.
Old 29th September 2013, 23:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the show, they showed XUV braking however all four wheels being locked and skidding. Why? It has ABS so shouldn't it be moving freely instead of locking all wheels? Anyways, i expected more from the show but got less.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 23:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
At the end of the show, they showed XUV braking however all four wheels being locked and skidding. Why? It has ABS so shouldn't it be moving freely instead of locking all wheels? Anyways, i expected more from the show but got less.
Exactly what went through my mind on seeing that footage. My Dad was watching the show along with me & he too was quite astonished to see the XUV skidding to all its glory. I guess the spot where the driver braked was quite wet & perhaps they wanted to show the XUV's braking capabilities over wet surface, but then it didn't look that the car stopped in a desirable distance. What if the driver had steered the car, would it have turned in the direction where the front wheels were pointing or would it have continued to go straight? Can someone answer that?
Old 29th September 2013, 23:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

I missed the show, anyone here knows when it will be aired again?
Old 30th September 2013, 00:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry macG View Post
But for an Indian automobile to be featured on the Discovery Channel is an achievement. Perhaps they should come out with a part II series on the cheetah.
Hey Jerry,

I dont think this was an achievement for anyone as the show was for sure a part of the marketing strategy of the company and paid for. As some one else has also mentioned earlier this particular fact was also evident in the amount of footage of the vehicle itself rather than concentrating on showing more on the actual making.

It will also most likely be shown only in countries covered by discovery India.

My two cents.

Regards
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed