Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 14:59   #76
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio S10 Restoration: Mechanical & paintwork done. Final assembly in progress!

Congrats Kiran and i see a great car going to roll out. A lot of hard work and patience needed to set these machines back to track. Great going and lets see more pictures of your machine in Yellow. Let the Limited Edition fever grow.
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 19:05   #77
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio S10 Restoration: Mechanical & paintwork done. Final assembly in progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
Congrats Kiran and i see a great car going to roll out. A lot of hard work and patience needed to set these machines back to track. Great going and lets see more pictures of your machine in Yellow. Let the Limited Edition fever grow.
Thanks Nimish!

So the car is back from the booth. It rolled in on a flatbed because we did not want to risk any damage in transit with the drag tow trucks.

Once the car was unloaded, i got to work on the insides of it. The steering, gear lever/knob, HVAC controls, handbrake lever, ABC pedals, steering column had paint deposits on them. Rubbed/cleaned down with paint thinner and applied interior polish to them to avoid any discolouration.

Once i was satisfied with the outcome, started installing all the door beadings. Must say it was pretty straight forward and i got through all 5 doors in a short span. Called it a day at the garage and headed to work.

Few pictures of the paint and colour shade, in better lighting compared to yesterday, follow:
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-flatbed-arrives.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-flatbed.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-flatbed-side.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-ready-roll-off.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-hood.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-rear.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-left-front-quarter.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-right-front-quarter.jpg  

lucifer919 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 21:17   #78
BHPian

Quick update on the past 2 days of work:

We finished wiring up the entire car and also installed the dashboard. fired up the car and confirmed things to be working as expected.
First few cranks were unexpectedly fruitless with no engine running. After scratching our heads for quite some time, we realised that it was the crash sensor that had cut off fuel supply. Reset the sensor and the car fired up immediately.

Few gremlins that showed up as follows:
1. One of the license plate lights does not work. need to check the wiring for connectivity.
2. One of the rear tail lamps does not work. Need to check wiring for connectivity.
3. Central locking is not working. All the doors get locked as expected but the unlock does not work. Wiring needs to be checked again for this.

I have also laid out the speaker cables and RCAs for the amp wiring to the head unit/speakers. we are still awaiting delivery of the front fascia/ head unit surround, so we can install it and connect everything else.

Got a Pioneer P80RSII for the car. Have unplugged and extracted the original S10 head unit.

All door beadings and glasses have been installed. Small items like the fog light surrounds, door handles and front grill were painted today. These will be installed tomorrow.

The final floor carpets have not yet been installed as we are still awaiting delivery of the damping sheets. When we were repairing the dents in the floor, the original 'pitch' sheets came off and were thrown out. To compensate for their loss, we are going to damp the entire floor of the car. Also going to damp the front doors.

All audio equipment going into the car are being graciously donated by a good friend.
Old 6th November 2014, 21:27   #79
Senior - BHPian

The current alloys on your car belong to a GTX. Are you planning to get original S10 alloys for your car?
Old 7th November 2014, 20:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
The current alloys on your car belong to a GTX. Are you planning to get original S10 alloys for your car?
The alloys currently on the car are from my Red 1.6 Stile. these will go back to the Stile and the black ones from the Stile will be transferred to the S10. Not buying the original rims as i want to keep 15 inch wheels on this car.

A further update to the work done today, as follows:

1. We got the lighting issues sorted. Basically, we had a few lights out on the car. One license plate light, one head-light pilot light and one tail light was out. when we sorted the connection to the license plate light, the other two started working normally. Looks like some weird circuit for the lights there.

2. Door locks not working was looked into. Figures that something major had to be gone here. The wiring that plugs into the door lock on the left front door was missing a pin. Due to this, the lock was not getting/sending any signals to the central locking system. In trying to fix this, the mechanic ended up breaking the door lock electrical housing. He's looking for these from a scrapped car at the scrapyard.

Also, to check if the central locking relay was busted, we switched the relay from my Stile and plugged it in here. The locks on the Stile have started acting up now. The doors lock as soon as you unlock them. I have to pull at the handle as soon as the key is turned to get into the car. The doors also keep trying to lock themselves all the time. Looks like i need a new relay as well.

3. I had purchased a new set of mounts for all 4 struts. Took apart the front struts and was in for a surprise. The bump-stop that mounts on the strut had disintegrated. The external parts also had paint overspray on them. cleaned them out completely and checked them for leaks. Fortunately, there were no leaks in the struts and the mechanic gave them a thumbs-up for a lot more kms. Assembled and installed them back on the car.

4. Installed the ORVMs on the car and also the rear bumper.

Tomorrow, we will be working on the rear struts and their mounts.
As always, will keep this thread updated.

Some pictures of the strut work below:
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-adventure-brakes.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-struts-taken-off.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-bumpstops.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-cleaned.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-assembled-installed.jpg  

lucifer919 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 20:43   #81
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio S10 Restoration: Mechanical & paintwork done. Final assembly in progre

Quick update on current progress:

As mentioned earlier, some parts of the door locks were damaged and not working as expected. the Central locking relay was also kaput.

The resourceful folks at the garage were able to get these parts for me from the scrapyard. All in perfect working condition too!! A poor golden-colour Palio was being scrapped at the Shivajinagar scrapyard and these were scavenged from it. We got front door locks, central locking relay, fascia for the aircon controls, head-unit fascia (this is damaged) and clock.

We finished damping the floor of the car and installed the mats/carpets. The dashboard is complete. All door components are installed and ready. Also performed some TLC on the under-the-hood parts. The UCE and its mounts looked worn out and tired. Masked off the essentials and gave it a coat of paint. Also took off the battery tray, cleaned it and painted the engine bay. Same was done under the air-filter box as well. Some pictures below.

I was able to source a set of Excell Power struts, locally, at a good price so bought a set. They will be installed tomorrow.

Painters will start wet sanding the paint tomorrow and the car is promised to be delivered by Friday!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-ecu_before.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-ecu_after.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-ecu-relay-mount.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-clock-fascia.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-ac-controls.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-rear-left-door.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-rear-right-door.jpg  

lucifer919 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 14:30   #82
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!

@lucifer919

Did you update the final pics in some other thread or did I miss something in between.

Please update

Regards
Old 11th May 2015, 22:35   #83
BHPian

There didnt seem like much of an interest in the thread so i stopped updating it. Here are the remaining bits, continuing from where i left off:

Post installation of the interiors, i got the headlights aligned and focussed correctly using the requisite machine. Some more pics of the car post finishing below. Also, some snaps to show the paint quality.

On the audio front, i added a Pioneer P80RS and just a pair of mid-bases. Entire audio install is still pending. We did wire up the entire car duiring the finishing states and before the carpets were put in. It is wires for a front stage active component setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141118_002-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141118_005-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141118_008.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141118_009.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141119_001-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141119_004.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141119_002-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141119_003-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141119_007.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141118_004-1.jpg  

lucifer919 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 22:37   #84
BHPian

Some more pictures under flourescent lighting.

Also, note that i have replaced the rear reverse lamps with LED bulbs. Visibility and illumination remain the same.

i did procure LEDs for the indicators as well, but they flash too fast with LEDs so did not use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141122_002-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141122_003-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141122_005-1.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141217_001.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141217_003.jpg  

Fiat Palio S10 - Now, Restoration Complete!-wp_20141217_009.jpg  

lucifer919 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 23:49   #85
BHPian

Very beautifully and painstakingly done! There's absolutely no stone unturned i see to pimp this to its present state. **Tips Hat**!
prateekpsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 00:37   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful car. Hats off to the effort to bring the car to this shape.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 07:43   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
There didnt seem like much of an interest in the thread so i stopped updating it. Here are the remaining bits, continuing from where i left off:
I think Palio Owners can't help this, its just a matter of time when posting and threads on Palio will become as rare as your beautiful car.

Anyways, that's beautifully done and looks dashing. How is it riding now?

What is that machine to set the headlights. My garage doesn't have it.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 09:16   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I think Palio Owners can't help this, its just a matter of time when posting and threads on Palio will become as rare as your beautiful car.

Anyways, that's beautifully done and looks dashing. How is it riding now?

What is that machine to set the headlights. My garage doesn't have it.

Regards
From what I see the car is parked near a table or something similar to get the headlight beams aligned. Guess its a compressor sitting on the table

Awesome work there Lucifer
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 09:35   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
From what I see the car is parked near a table or something similar to get the headlight beams aligned. Guess its a compressor sitting on the table
I was referring to the red projector kind of box sitting on a railings to move side to side.

I thought that red box is used to pinpoint the length/height of the headlight.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 10:06   #90
BHPian

Nicely done lucifer919! It's good to see another S10 properly restored and not modified into a brat's street racer.

You could get the transplanted centre console painted in silver, to match the OE console. And maybe add a frame to cover the music system's edges. Any plans on putting back OE side skirts?

Oh, there's definitely interest in seeing a Palio S10 being restored, believe you me!
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed