Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 23:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Issues with the Maruti 90 BHP DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Members owning Punto and Ertiga may please post the engine number of their cars to help distinguish the two. May not be possible if Maruti rechristens the Fiat sourced engines to their own system of numbering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since we own an Ertiga ZDi, the engine number is D13A5006597
My swifts motor has fpt printed on couple of parts, so it may have come from fiat. The engine number starts d13a. I doubt the fiat sourced engine to have a separate engine number series because maruti would prefer to keep it uniform and use their own engine code on all 1.3 multijets which is d13.
Old 21st January 2015, 09:06   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Members owning Punto and Ertiga may please post the engine number of their cars to help distinguish the two.
Engine number nomenclature is OE dependent. Even if Maruti use engine that are manufactured at Fiat facility, Fiat will have their own serial number for each number but the final number punching will be done by maruti.

PS: My linea engine number: 0019629
Old 21st January 2015, 10:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reasons to change the car?
Any issues related to the car or is it in worry for spares since the SX4 is discontinued?
No specific problems as such to point out, but I have burnt my fingers earlier with discontinued cars, so wont be risking it with this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraz View Post
Thanks, hkanitkar. I'll check more resources to confirm the replacement schedule for the timing chain.

Good to hear that your car is going strong. I myself have a 7-year old SX4 ZXi with close to 100k on the clock. The engine is fine, but a recent clutch replacement, engine mounts, and some shock absorber replacements point to increasing maintenance costs.

Maintenance of the SX4 was always on the higher side - especially for the older cars, the costs shoot up quite a bit ! having 2 SX4 DDiS simultaneously has definitely taught me that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
For Fiat Linea 60k is the replacement interval for Timing chain. Why is the same engine having different service interval when plonked inside a Maruti Suzuki engine bay?
I am not really sure about the 1L interval for timing chain replacement cycle. Will check in the manual and get back !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2015 at 19:28. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please go by the rules. Thanks!
Old 21st January 2015, 10:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Infact a very recent update from TASS for my TATA MANZA.
My Service advisor has recently told me that next service of 60K will also need need timing chain replacement , to which i showed him owner manual wherein it said 1lac kms , to which the SA showed me an email circular from Tata motors clearly instructing them to replace timing chain @60K and not wait for 100K kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
I am not really sure about the 1L interval for timing chain replacement cycle. Will check in the manual and get back !
Manual alone can't support you. Check the above case with TATA. There was a circular from OE regarding the replacement frequency. Do check with M.A.S.S
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

You guys greatly discount a few crucial facts.

#1. The engines are not only in a different state of tune but also are subjected to different load/stress conditions. Tata and Fiat cars weigh considerably alot more than Maruti's cars.
#2. The gearboxes, drive shafts vehicle's weight and weight distributions

There are is fact no one ever speaks about, Maruti has used this engine in swift and other cars, I did own a swift in fast and with first hand info, I know for a fact that at speeds of 110kmph and above the car's brakes are off by a big Big margin, it sooner or later forces the driver to get used to driving at lower speeds for better control. I am guessing such designing of Maruti cars does translate into lower stress on engines majority of time, given they are not as good handlers or brakers.

please do not take the above state as applying to all Maruti cars, but it does apply to swift, do take it as an example, I mean to say that Maruti designs their cars to ensure lower stress in put on the engines. In case of Fiat's cars their handling braking and speed are in a different balance. AFAIK, Indica and Tata cars with Fiat engines have same gearbox and much better brakes compared to their Di engined ones.

Hope this explains the 1lakh kms interval of timing change recommendation from Maruti, and 60K kms interval of Fiat and Tata.

The car in this case could be an exception/lemon or might have had a defective part. I dont know the whole story. Also has the owner absolutely not used any after market enhancements?, even filling hi-speed diesel can cause this.

There could be excess carbon/rust build up inside the turbo affecting its function or may be its the vacuum pump gone bad affecting the performance.(Frequent adulterated fuel causes this excess carbon build up fast inside the tubro)

Rodent infestation could have caused this.

Too many reasons to consider.

I hope the issue is resolved and the owner drives home happy with a healthy car.

I have owned Maruti swift Diesel in the past and I drive a Fiat Punto 90HP now

Last edited by rider60 : 2nd August 2015 at 07:46. Reason: adding a last minute detail.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:13   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
I did own a swift in fast and with first hand info, I know for a fact that at speeds of 110kmph and above the car's brakes are off by a big Big margin, it sooner or later forces the driver to get used to driving at lower speeds for better control. I am guessing such designing of Maruti cars does translate into lower stress on engines majority of time, given they are not as good handlers or brakers.

please do not take the above state as applying to all Maruti cars, but it does apply to swift, do take it as an example, I mean to say that Maruti designs their cars to ensure lower stress in put on the engines. In case of Fiat's cars their handling braking and speed are in a different balance.
Not to spark any fight but can you explain this part a bit elaborate? Sorry but I didn't understand what you are trying to convey regarding stress and brakes.

I own a Swift and an Ertiga (Same engine as your Punto) too as you already know and I have no complaints or issues regarding the Brakes or health of the engine components.

Swift and not handling well!
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Just an update.
Linea MJD 90PS, going strong at 1.56L kms with no signs of giving up
First timing chain was replaced at 60K and the second at 1.5L kms.
Have been following 8-9K kms engine oil drain interval with Mobil Delvac 1.
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to spark any fight but can you explain this part a bit elaborate? Sorry but I didn't understand what you are trying to convey regarding stress and brakes.

I own a Swift and an Ertiga (Same engine as your Punto) too as you already know and I have no complaints or issues regarding the Brakes or health of the engine components.

Swift and not handling well!
Anurag, you own a ZDI model with ABS and bigger tyres too, if I am not wrong, that car comes with a beefed up brake booster and ABS, unlike non ABS models which have a weaker brake booster and skinny tyres.

This does play a pivotal role. A couple of panic braking situations faced by a driver in the non ABS car WITH WEAKER brake booster, will automatically get used to the fact that, brakes wont stop the cars momentum as quickly as needed and will most of the time correct themselves for either lower speeds or de-accelerating before hand. Call it cost cutting by Maruti or designing it just that way, doesn't matter. That coupled with more efficient and effective gear box rations, lighter car weight does help reduce engine stress. People just get used to driving the car a little light footed, given this situation and how the car handles.

For you to understand the difference, I suggest you drive a 90HP punto with heavy foot to test it out and completely exploit its full potential(of course in controlled environments) and do the same with a non-ABS swift with those skinny tyres and weak brake booster, just the way Maruti made it.

hahaha, no need of sparking any thing mate. And yes, these engines for Maruti, Fiat, Tata etc come off the same assembly line even before the engine numbers are stamped on, I know this from a reliable source I trust.

EDIT: If you want an even fairer comparison, get a mid model punto 75HP, Indica vista mid model, both non ABS ones and compare that with a stock non ABS swift.

Last edited by rider60 : 2nd August 2015 at 09:55.
rider60 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks