Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2006, 22:54   #1
BHPian

need advice on an lpg 1000

hi guys need all your advice
i have a maruti 1000 which i am installing lpg due to this ridiculous petrol price. i need to know what gets the performance of the engine up :
a) put a k&n filter
b) put free flow

need to know what to do to bring the performance level up and also one more thing in a months time i am going to change my 1000 engine and put an esteem vx1 engine.
need to know inputs from all you brothers out there.

thanx
badboy
Old 15th June 2006, 23:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

first you talk abt price of petrol and then plonking a new engine? hello!
Old 16th June 2006, 07:23   #3

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey first you are going to install an lpg kit which will cost somewhere around 30-40k(approx),then you want to put a k&n and a free flow filter which would cost 5k+10k(approx).thats 50k in total.then you are going to change the engine.thats an additional expense,also you would have to change the gearbox to accomodate the new engine.thats a lot of expenditure to counter an increase in petrol prices.i dont think its advisable.
even if you decide to go forthe lpg,yes,the k&n and the free flow are good options for increasing your performance .make sure that you get both the k&n and free flow installed from a proper place.
Old 16th June 2006, 10:48   #4
BHPian

You will also first have to check with the RTO in your town, about the installation of the LPG on a Maruti 1000 . As per RTO Norms, vehicles over a certain age and of a fixed Bharat Stage Norms are only allowed for retro-fitment.
Old 16th June 2006, 11:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn
hey first you are going to install an lpg kit which will cost somewhere around 30-40k(approx),
I got a Govt. approved LPG kit fittled on my 1000 (96 model) and it cost me only 18k in total (including fitment)....even the Lovato kits cost pretty much the same. I wasnt able to get it endorsed however, as the RTO has some stupid norms that cars of a particular month/year only could get endorsed. Strange b'coz I noticed that for the M-1000, cars registered before June 96 and after April 97 could get endorsed...doesnt make sense to me

badboy, the kit I mentioned is a MagicGas Kit (of Techlab Autogas) and i can vouch that the car moves more smoother and much quicker than on petrol. My car runs about 300 kms approx for a full tank of gas (40 litres) that translates to 7.5 kmpl vis-a-vis 8 kmpl for a litre of petrol. Work out the maths and u'll know how much u still save

The only issue is when i'm doin highway drives or heavy traffic, the gas condenses and blocks the flow, causing the car to behave like running out of fuel.....but i guess thats common to all LPG kitted cars

a K&N and a Free Flow (u might want to try the Automech kit - heard a lot about it) should make ur car move as good as she sounds !

Cheers,

J
Old 16th June 2006, 12:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
hi guys need all your advice
i have a maruti 1000 which i am installing lpg due to this ridiculous petrol price. i need to know what gets the performance of the engine up :
a) put a k&n filter
b) put free flow

need to know what to do to bring the performance level up and also one more thing in a months time i am going to change my 1000 engine and put an esteem vx1 engine.
need to know inputs from all you brothers out there.

thanx
badboy
Hi Badboy,
an LPG conversion with K&N would mean comfortable drive, same power as petrol along with savings of LPG. It would cost you approx 20k + RTO registration, in case you want to drive one to get a feel and since you are in Mumbai, pm me anytime.
Cheers,
Samrat
Old 16th June 2006, 18:01   #7
BHPian

thanx dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrat Banerjee
Hi Badboy,
an LPG conversion with K&N would mean comfortable drive, same power as petrol along with savings of LPG. It would cost you approx 20k + RTO registration, in case you want to drive one to get a feel and since you are in Mumbai, pm me anytime.
Cheers,
Samrat
Hi samrat
thanx for the offer thats really nice of you to offer me your ride.
what vehicle you got. mine is a 1000 maruti sent t for lpg coversion. will be getting it tomorrow. have to put a free flow to it u know any good mechanic around
thanx
baboy
Old 17th June 2006, 11:51   #8
BHPian

@ Slip Stream- In any case if the kit is not endorsed in your RC, It's illegal irrespective of it being Govt Approved or not. The only reason why these stupid norms exist is because that vehicles over a certain age cannot comply with Pollution Control and Safety with LPG/CNG installation...It's good that your car has not faced any issue-But however everyone might not be as lucky.
Old 17th June 2006, 12:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
have to put a free flow to it u know any good mechanic around
thanx
baboy
Automech is your answer as said by another T-Bhpian in this thread. I doubt if its gonna make sense spending soo much on a M1000 though!

BTW, you said you wanna put in an Esteem engine into the engine bay of a M1000. I feel it is a lot more complicated to carry out that job than it actually sounds, though its easily done in many places. I would suggest you sell your M1000 and then buy a stock 96-97 model Esteem Vx with power steering which can be yours for as little as 70-80k in Mumbai. It will work out to be cheaper than spending on an Esteem engine(whose history and condition can be debateable) into your existing M1000. You can then add an LPG kit if you feel like.

OT- I remember you wanted to go in for fatter rubber on your M1000, well you can do that on the Esteem without a problem of the steering getting hard to steer since the Esteem Vx comes standard with PS.

If you deciede to buy a second hand Esteem as i suggest then You can also add a K&N performance filter and Automech free-flow kit to the car and it will make some serious difference to the performance of the car. And even though it will be running on LPG, it still will be a pocket rocket for sure

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 17th June 2006 at 12:32.
Old 17th June 2006, 12:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
first you talk abt price of petrol and then plonking a new engine? hello!
Couldn't agree more. Seriously i suggest you first deciede what exactly do you want
Old 10th July 2006, 14:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi samrat
thanx for the offer thats really nice of you to offer me your ride.
what vehicle you got. mine is a 1000 maruti sent t for lpg coversion. will be getting it tomorrow. have to put a free flow to it u know any good mechanic around
thanx
baboy
Hi badboy,
have you got the LPG fitted? hows your experience?
Samrat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks