Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 22:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Trouble with my Fiat Uno Petrol. EDIT : Now Resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
If test result is fine will get the engine decarbonized and if the engine compression result comes out negative then i have no option left rather than doing a reboring!
Samba correction on my PM reply to you.

You should look for System G (it is the Petrol equivalent of System D)
Try it for 2 tank fulls, and if the problem reduces, then decarbonizing using the traditional way (as Jaggu suggested).

Also not sure if Terraclean system is available everywhere (saw it on Wheeler Dealers once - hence the reference to it).

If System G does not help , you could look at alternate suggestions/diagnoses.

I am hoping you don't have to rebore the block (my hunch because you confirmed no oil level change, and no white smoke).

And finally keep us posted! Best of luck.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 22:59   #32
BHPian

Have you checked the Fuel Filter and possible check the grounding in the car. I had the Fiat Uho till 1.5 l Kms and sold it. Not an engine that would loose compression easily with your type of TLC.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 23:04   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Have you checked the Fuel Filter and possible check the grounding in the car. I had the Fiat Uho till 1.5 l Kms and sold it. Not an engine that would loose compression easily with your type of TLC.
Yes fuel filter is clean. No i have not checked the grounding. Point noted. Will ask my mechanic to check that.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 23:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My next course of actions-
Any update on your case?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 15:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Any update on your case?
Thanks for asking but unfortunately the distributor base plate or the whole set is out of stock. I have asked Royal Motors and Sama Motors for the spares ( two shops who deal with Fiat spares) and they have placed there order in Mumbai. Once the parts come they will give me a cal. Once i get a update i will update it over here.
Old 12th November 2013, 22:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

My mechanic finally got another set of distributor. After installing it the problem is still there. The car is knocking gasping for pickup in lower speed, once the car crosses a certain rpm it feels better. What i have to do is rev more in each gear and then shift to get a better drive.

So the distributor was not the culprit. That means again its coming back to the fuel supply. So thinking of getting the carb butter fly checked. Now that's the only option left. Lets see what happens. Will update again what happens.
Old 13th November 2013, 00:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Update

My mechanic finally got another set of distributor. After installing it the problem is still there. The car is knocking gasping for pickup in lower speed, once the car crosses a certain rpm it feels better. What i have to do is rev more in each gear and then shift to get a better drive.

So the distributor was not the culprit. That means again its coming back to the fuel supply. So thinking of getting the carb butter fly checked. Now that's the only option left. Lets see what happens. Will update again what happens.
Add a cheap inline fuel pump and see if it sorts out ( the low pressure ones)
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 10:35   #38
BHPian

Stupid question, have you checked your spark plugs?

Even I had the same problem in my GTX when I had problems with my engine, imagine a GTX struggling to climb a flyover. There was complete loss of power, wild jerks and a blabbering exhaust. Compression test showed poor compression and the culprit was the values. 4 inlet values in first 2 cylinders and 4 outlet in the other two(how? details on my thread). Though this won't be the case in your car, maybe the values are bent or value seals are leaking. A compression test will rule out any problems with engine.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 13:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

check, fuel filter, clean the fuel lines. how? easy!! take a wild guess?
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 18:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Add a cheap inline fuel pump and see if it sorts out ( the low pressure ones)
I didn't get you, are you asking to change the fuel Pump? I have tried with a new fuel pump too. But the problem is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Stupid question, have you checked your spark plugs?

Even I had the same problem in my GTX when I had problems with my engine, imagine a GTX struggling to climb a flyover. There was complete loss of power, wild jerks and a blabbering exhaust. Compression test showed poor compression and the culprit was the values. 4 inlet values in first 2 cylinders and 4 outlet in the other two(how? details on my thread). Though this won't be the case in your car, maybe the values are bent or value seals are leaking. A compression test will rule out any problems with engine.
Yes the first thing i did was changing all the 4 spark plugs and the plug wires too. Yes compression test is the last thing to do. That's in my mind too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
check, fuel filter, clean the fuel lines. how? easy!! take a wild guess?
Have got the fuel filter checked, fuel lines were also opened and checked. Again when i get time i have plan to open up the fuel tank once again and clean it, if the problem persists then will go for the carb butterfly lathe work and if still it exists then will do a compression test done. If the compression test comes out to be normal, i have no more clue what to do! Once these are done will update.
Old 19th November 2013, 16:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Update on this please
Old 19th November 2013, 18:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Update on this please
Car is now refusing to start. If you are lucky after many self it will start or else have to follow the old method of pushing from behind and start in 2nd gear. So some how managed to start the car and has put it in the garage. Our mechanic is again starting from scratch. He told he will try his best. Actually getting original spares has become a tough job. For procuring them the shops are charging extra money plus there is no warranty on the spares. So lets see what the mechanic do this time. Plus a new crop up is the brakes master cylinder failed too! We changed it a year back but again it failed.

Actually we tried a lot and spent a lot on the car in the last two years. Starting from body work , mechanical's, new tyres, etc etc we have already spent around 70k. This is our last try. If this time we fail then with a heavy heart will let the car go and for the local city commute we have to pick up another basic hatch back.

For the last time keeping our fingers crossed. Hope we don't have to let her go. Once i get an update will update for sure.
Old 19th November 2013, 19:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car is now refusing to start. If you are lucky after many self it will start or else have to follow the old method of pushing from behind and start in 2nd gear. So some how managed to start the car and has put it in the garage. Our mechanic is again starting from scratch. He told he will try his best. Actually getting original spares has become a tough job. For procuring them the shops are charging extra money plus there is no warranty on the spares. So lets see what the mechanic do this time. Plus a new crop up is the brakes master cylinder failed too! We changed it a year back but again it failed.

Actually we tried a lot and spent a lot on the car in the last two years. Starting from body work , mechanical's, new tyres, etc etc we have already spent around 70k. This is our last try. If this time we fail then with a heavy heart will let the car go and for the local city commute we have to pick up another basic hatch back.

For the last time keeping our fingers crossed. Hope we don't have to let her go. Once i get an update will update for sure.
start in a sequence.

1. fuel lines. Also there should be no cracks or leaks in the rubber pipe that supplies fuel to the carb from metal pipes from tank.
2. petrol filters
3. Fuel pump. I dunno if Uno uses mechanical or electronic pump

Another Area
1. Spark plugs and related cables and coils.
2. Distributor and contact breaker. what does uno uses I dunno much details

Finally Carburettor.

Carburetted cars are very easy to repair. Its plain simple principle.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 19:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Update is selling the Uno and going for a Alto K10.

Went to my mechanic. He tried with the carb and butterfly lath too. Still the problem is pretty much the same. So last thing left is the compression test. So we decided to go against it and got a fair deal of exchanging the Uno for a K10 Lxi from a Maruti showroom. So decided to let her go.

After doing the following we decided to let her go-
New clutch plate
New Distributor
New Fuel Pump
New spark Plug with wire.
Carb thoroughly cleaned and butterfly lath done.
Fuel Tank and fuel pipes cleaned.

Don't know whether i should be happy for the new car or not, but some how feeling bad. We had different fiats since 1983 in our house. Anyways hope to buy another Fiat in the near future. My lover for Fiat will never die.

Well i like to thank all the Bhpian's who have put there input in this thread to help me.

Last edited by Samba : 21st November 2013 at 19:03.
Old 21st November 2013, 19:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Update is selling the Uno and going for a Alto K10.

Don't know whether i should be happy for the new car or not, but some how feeling bad. We had different fiats since 1983 in our house. Anyways hope to buy another Fiat in the near future. My lover for Fiat will never die.
I know how you feel my 1999 Fiat Uno is still doing very well & served me superbly; never a major issue so far. And its superb to drive on the road, the FIRE engine is very revvy. I will also keep going with it as long as I can.. maybe look to sell out next year.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed