Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2013, 18:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Trouble with my Fiat Uno Petrol. EDIT : Now Resolved!

An awesome update-

Yesterday i took our Uno to a local garage who generally repair old yellow Ambassador taxi's. The guy is a total old school mechanic. I gave him the car and told, we are selling the car please do something so that we can drive it till the Maruti showroom. That guy asked for 2days. I left the Uno with him and came back. Today afternoon he called me and told your car is ready and problem is rectified! I was surprised to here that and then and there i went to his garage. He gave me the key and asked me to take a test drive. I drove the car and voila it was as running smooth! Came back and asked him what he did?
1st he told the engine tappets were jam he adjusted them and loosened them.
2ndly he told two spark plugs out of the 4 were short which i replaced few days back! So he replaced those two plugs with my cars old spark plugs.

That's all he did and the car is back to its original DNA!

But as we have already submitted the papers of our Uno to Maruti and did the full payment for the K10 with a sad heart we have to let her go. But am happy that after so much of effort the problem was at last rectified.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 18:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Trouble with my Fiat Uno Petrol. EDIT : Now Resolved!

So what your problem really was that of a faulty mechanic! Congrats. But sad you're having to let her go.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 08:05   #48
BHPian

Re: Trouble with my Fiat Uno Petrol. EDIT : Now Resolved!

Man thats a sad story. Uno wants to come out of resurrection to please the owner. Many mechanics do this to reduce the tik-tik noise they make it nil backlash. I believe ur mechanic adjusted the tapped during valve activation hence valves always slightly open. Please Rethink of selling uno. If you consider it gets good resale then its fine.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So what your problem really was that of a faulty mechanic! Congrats. But sad you're having to let her go.
Bingo.

After doing a through analysis of the problem i came to the following conclusion.
The distributor was faulty. As after changing the distributor the engine getting off was rectified. But before that we changed the spark plugs and among the four plugs two were short so due the short plugs the knocking continued. My mechanic must had addressed it earlier. It was really a bad omission from him. Later when the two plugs were changed the knocking reduced a lot and on further adjusting the tappets the problem was totally solved. So to sum it up it was faulty tappets and distributor. I checked with 2-3 mechanics they got more confused and things got messed up. Above all i will blame the spares. Among four new spark plugs two were faulty. Getting Uno spares are difficult plus when am getting them the products are not upto the mark. That added more to the confusion.

Lastly where i gave my car to the new mechanic i didnt tell him the history of what i have done. So he again started from scratch and found the plugs to be short and a faulty tappet. But god knows when earlier i asked my old mechanic to check the tappet he checked it and gave me a positive answer that tappets and valve adjustments were fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Man thats a sad story.
Please Rethink of selling uno. If you consider it gets good resale then its fine.
Sadly we have already submitted the original documents of our Uno to Maruti and have signed on the name transfer forms. Including the exchange bonus we got a decent price as Uno has less resale and its a 13 years old car. But considering the amount we had spent on the car in the last two years the resale value is not that great. Had this problem been addressed two weeks back we would have retained our Uno instead of going for the K10.

But i seriously hope to buy another Fiat in the future. Once a Fiatian always a Fiatian. Hope Fiat will improve on there spares and servicing.

Last edited by Samba : 26th November 2013 at 16:02.
Old 26th November 2013, 17:03   #50
BHPian

Happy to hear problem is solved

I am also with Vijay to tell you to rethink the decision of selling the uno

Agreed its an old car, but now since its working well it should be much better to drive, safety wise and comfort wise comparing Alto

Remember, Alto has a zero for NCAP safety ratings

There should be a way out even f you submitted the papers?
rikhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 17:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Happy to hear problem is solved

I am also with Vijay to tell you to rethink the decision of selling the uno

Agreed its an old car, but now since its working well it should be much better to drive, safety wise and comfort wise comparing Alto

Remember, Alto has a zero for NCAP safety ratings

There should be a way out even f you submitted the papers?
I agree with you 100%. But unfortunately the name transfer form has been signed and full payment for the new car is also done. They asked for the Uno today itself but on request they agreed to take it on the delivery date of the k10. Yes thats very true k10 has zero safety ratings. At this time only maruti gave a fare deal for the Uno plus this car will be used with in city limits. K10 may give better mileage and pickup/top speed than the uno but it can never match uno's comfort, handling, safety and most importantly the feel good factor.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:49   #52
BHPian

Best wishes for your new purchase. It looks to me that your mech didnt know the method to set the tappets right. The reason for the new plugs gone faulty is because the tappet is open causing A/F mixture to foul the plug. If exhaust tappet is partially open then it burns the plus as well as valves. Anyways now you dont need him anymore. Drive safe and enjoy your new car.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 02:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the Uno is sold. We had it for 13 years and 7 months and drove it for 106,000kms. We will badly miss her and even more because we sold it once the problem was solved. I and the Uno want to thank everyone over here who have put their valuable inputs to help me rectify the car problem.

Trouble with my Fiat Uno Petrol. EDIT : Now Resolved!-img_0993.jpg
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks