Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2006, 15:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft
If a car moves at 80km/hr with windows rolled down, how much would it move at with the windows rolled up?
you won't "see" that negligible difference, but will just "feel" the difference!
coz wind noise is the biggest irritant at high speeds. also it hampers the straight line handling.

if your car is not having good aerodynamics, and you keeps windows rolled up, then you might gain some KMPHs to that speedometer!
Old 17th June 2006, 15:47   #17
rks
BANNED

I always keep AC on and windows rolled up, city or highway. But when climbing ghats in my Santro ZipDrive (1 lit) I keep windows rolled up and only blower on (AC off). I set the blower for maximum air from outside, rather than just recirculation of stale air. I think this would be most optimal for FE too, although my main criterion is performance.
Regards, rks
Old 17th June 2006, 18:12   #18
BHPian

Always windows up is the best for performance and mileage. A/c on or off is personal choice.

Personally, a/c always on except when the weather is cool and under 60kmph.
Old 17th June 2006, 19:56   #19
BHPian

AC on, windows rolled up, Music system humming away (not blaring), engine buzzing away at 2500 rpm...

You could drive all day long and not feel the fatigue. Not sure how it affects the milege though. I only run down the windows when I want to hear the engine growl at 5000 rpm.
Old 18th June 2006, 11:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

How about these techniques:

- Use natural or forced ventilation mode of your car without using AC. Make sure that the temperature knob is at max COOL position to avoid hot air from entering the cabin.

- Another option is to roll up your windows but not completely, just keep a very narrow slit open. If you are cruising at 80+kmph, it should provide you more than enough of fresh air without having much adverse effect on aerodynamics of the car, and in turn handling and FE. Air noise could be a problem though, depending on the body design it may be more or less.

Both these options will work unless its too hot outside, when you will have to use the AC because even flowing air won't keep you cool enough.

At low speeds you can roll down windows, but sadly it is never possible in our polluted cities! I always use AC with recirculation mode, switch to fresh air whenever I come across cleaner patches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks