Team-BHP - Which is better ?AC ON or Windows rolled down in high speeds
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Which is better ?AC ON or Windows rolled down in high speeds (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/14271-better-ac-windows-rolled-down-high-speeds.html)

Hi all,
I have somewhere read that on high speeds, if you roll the side windows down, it will affect mileage as the resistance caused by the air increases. How does this drop in mileage comparable to putting ON the AC at high speeds ?

Hi Prince,
I distinctly remember one of the Auto Magazines (I think Autocar) mentioning that the VTEC gave better fuel efficiency with the AC on at high speeds than with the AC off and the windows rolled down. So, if you own an OHC you got your answer. Would be interesting to know about other cars too.

Regards,
Burjis

High speed, windows down - like driving with a parachute

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
High speed, windows down - like driving with a parachute

ther! couldnt put it better. With windows rolled up; teh car becomes more sleek/aerodynamic, and hence performance better wrt to mileage and kmph :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
ther! couldnt put it better. With windows rolled up; teh car becomes more sleek/aerodynamic, and hence performance better wrt to mileage and kmph :)

And not to mention better Passenger comfort too

How about Windows rolled up and AC off. Isn't that the best regarding FE?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D

a/c is a "NEED" when its hot, so definitely the FE will improve when u have a/c off and windows rolled up.

nobrainer.. windows rolled up and AC running will give you more milage... and comfort!... wind noise/roar is a major factor in travel fatigue..

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveendhyani
a/c is a "NEED" when its hot, so definitely the FE will improve when u have a/c off and windows rolled up.

Well the the "NEED" is sometimes relative. In a country where people choose an Alto Over Santro and a Santro over (say) Palio (although it has other reasons for not selling). NEEDs are somewhat dictated by the money rather than comfort and pleasure.

BTW Window rolled up and No AC is also the enthusiast's way of saying I have arrived! (But then his NEEDs are different)

What a pity! ... on highways where there is little pollution... where you can enjoy the fresh air you need to keep the windows rolled up for the sake of mileage.
On the other hand in polluted environment of cities.. in the crawling traffic you need to keep windows rolled up ... and AC ON .. at the cost of mileage!:Frustrati

AC ON and windows up and then driving at 'constant' high speed will give you really good fuel economy.
just try to visualise the scene ahead and try to maintain your speed accordingly.
our very old santro still gives us 17+ kmpl while cruising at abt 100-110kms on NH1 with AC ON for 100%. although being a breadbox design, windnoise do irritates a lot, but we have a thing called music system to take care of that noise!

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D

AC off, Windows rolled up, Ingnition off, Vehicle locked = the best FE you can ever get.

You will suffocate to death man. And if you survive that you'll probably go to sleep because of low Oxygen and end up crashing someplace. At the end of a long journey there won't be YOU & YOURS.

So long....

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunroy
AC off, Windows rolled up, Ingnition off, Vehicle locked = the best FE you can ever get.

You will suffocate to death man. And if you survive that you'll probably go to sleep because of low Oxygen and end up crashing someplace. At the end of a long journey there won't be YOU & YOURS.

So long....

Right you are.

But some people drive that way, not for FE considerations but something else.

On the other hand I had jokingly suggested this way of driving to some of my colleagues for good FE and guess what, THEY DO IT!! When the get out of their cars the whole world is AC! Surprisingly still they say my advice helps! As a by-product every ml of Sweat translates to some amount of adipose being lost.

I am for AC on on along drive.
My Zen gave me an Avg of 19.5 on a drive Bombay to Goa with the AC on all the Way...

[FONT=Arial]If a car moves at 80km/hr with windows rolled down, how much would it move at with the windows [/FONT][FONT=Arial]rolled up?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]