Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 10:57   #1
BHPian

AC automatically cuts off

hi guys!

i have a 2002 Baleno VXi. last week when it was peak summer in delhi and the AC was on full blast, sometimes the AC automatically cuts off leaving only normal air coming out of the blower. i had 2 manually switch off the AC and when i switched it on the AC wud start cooling again. ny idea what this cud b???
Old 16th June 2006, 11:24   #2
BANNED

Naveendhyani, go to your AC guy and tell him to check your THERMOSTAT.
Maybe that's faulty and hence your having this problem
Cheers
Old 16th June 2006, 11:58   #3
BHPian

thanx for the prompt reply. ny idea how much the thermostat cost?
Old 16th June 2006, 12:08   #4
BANNED

No idea.. but shouldn't set you back by too much.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:13   #5
DRC
BHPian

I think new Vxi has climate control...

Does it still have thermostat?
Old 16th June 2006, 13:00   #6
Awaiting Email Confirmation

navin the amount of gas is the problem if toped up more than necessary it tends to create more pressure due to which the compressor cant handle the load and cuts off
Old 16th June 2006, 13:02   #7
BHPian

@ DRC : the 2006 VXi has climate control, before that it was not available
@ nitroxx : lately i have not topped the gas so i guess this cud not b the reason.

nyways thanx a ton for ur replies.
Old 16th June 2006, 13:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Man I have the same problem with me let me elaborate....

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is not moving and it is hot outside in day time A/c does not work.

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is moving and it is hot outside in day time A/c works but at 60-70 %

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is not moving and it is not so hot outside in night time A/c works 100 %

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is moving and it is not so hot outside in night time A/c works 100 %

I think this will explain to everyone when the a/c is working and when not......

I have a swift ZXI which has climate control and Even setting the temprature at 18 does not help. In auto or manual mode........
Old 16th June 2006, 13:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

I had similar problems in my Ikon 1.6 (once when I initially bought it and another time very recently).

"Diverter Valve" needed replacement. Thats it. Mine was covered under warranty hence dont know the cost but not much.
Old 16th June 2006, 14:15   #10
BHPian

I have the same issue when my car is standing lets say on red light, ac stops working.
shown to a/c Guy, he suggested that every a/c has a cut off, which means whenevr gt heat up it automatically cut off.
so last time he take off the cut off and directly linked the wires,
try this, might be help to you,
Regards
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 16th June 2006, 14:26   #11
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
so last time he take off the cut off and directly linked the wires,
try this, might be help to you,
Regards
Wadhwa Ajay
Isnt' it a safety risk? The next time your AC heats up (whatever that means) it won't cut off... might just blow off
Old 16th June 2006, 14:33   #12
BHPian

I came for teambhp meet with this, almost 70 km up down for me, nothing happened wrong but i forgot to write even aftr connecting wires directly, my problem stands there only :(
Old 16th June 2006, 16:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
I came for teambhp meet with this, almost 70 km up down for me, nothing happened wrong but i forgot to write even aftr connecting wires directly, my problem stands there only :(
Even when the AC is on max setting the thermostat does cut off, else ice would form on the cooling coils, especially when on high speeds for long stretches and then there won't be any cooling. If such a thing happens, put off or reduce Thermo to minimum but let the blower work on full. In a short while you will see water spurting out of the vents.

Check the earthing terminal at the compressor end. Many a times this gets loosened or the wire snaps inside the insulation ( it mat appear attached to the terminal on the outside)due to vibration. Check continuity with a multimeter.

Never put the AC on full blast as soon as you start the car after parking under hot sun. The cabin temp could be as high as 60-70 degrees C. Roll down all your window by about 1 inch, set the AC thermo on Low or Med and blower at Med. Drive for about 5-10 minutes, roll up your windows and then increase the Thermo if you wish.

So long....
Old 16th June 2006, 17:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Man I have the same problem with me let me elaborate....

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is not moving and it is hot outside in day time A/c does not work.

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is moving and it is hot outside in day time A/c works but at 60-70 %

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is not moving and it is not so hot outside in night time A/c works 100 %

When both the engne and the a/c is runnig and the car is moving and it is not so hot outside in night time A/c works 100 %

I think this will explain to everyone when the a/c is working and when not......

I have a swift ZXI which has climate control and Even setting the temprature at 18 does not help. In auto or manual mode........
Sounds like low AC gas pressure / compressor not functioning at 100% efficiency to me.

What you have described can be summarized as "inadequate cooling at low engine rpm" ... In any case, cooling is going not going to be so good at idle rpm, but if it is as bad enough to be bothering you, get the gas pressure and compressor checked.

- T u r b o C -
Old 16th June 2006, 17:43   #15
BANNED

hi naveen ,

Does the temperature rise abrubtly ?and does the ac get cut off when the temperature rises ?temperature refers to the engine temperature and not the outside temperature .

If the temperature rises ,the AC gets cut off automatically ,as the radiator tries to cool down ,before the engine can once again take the load . please check your radiator fan , and cabling also .

this might sound weird ,but ,with cars weird things do happen .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks