Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 23 34.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.18%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 25.76%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2007, 10:19   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Did you manage to lay your hands on your dad's bike and make that guinae pig? If yes, then the results of the chemical reaction?
Yes please do revert i am also eagerly awaiting your results to try the boric acid treatment on my Zen
Old 17th February 2007, 17:10   #62
BHPian

Yup !! Your wait is finally over guys...
'Borofied' my dad's old bike. Could feel a considerable difference in smoothness and the ride quality. A slight twist of the accelerator handle now makes a greater difference. Unlike the experiment on my car, I did it the proper way this time. Dissolved the powder in some acetone (can get in any medical shop), and poured it in the oil box. Let it idle for a minute, and then took the test drive.

The results are definitely positive. But, don't expect a miraculous difference... Like someone said, you get what you pay for. But considering the dirt-cheap price of the raw material, this is more than what I paid for. But, again it could just be my perception. You tend to drive nicer after such experiments on your vehicle.
Old 17th February 2007, 19:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

In bikes, the engine oil is also used for the transmission as well as for the wet clutch.
Old 18th February 2007, 17:03   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
Yup !! Your wait is finally over guys...
'Borofied' my dad's old bike. Could feel a considerable difference in smoothness and the ride quality. A slight twist of the accelerator handle now makes a greater difference. Unlike the experiment on my car, I did it the proper way this time. Dissolved the powder in some acetone (can get in any medical shop), and poured it in the oil box. Let it idle for a minute, and then took the test drive.

The results are definitely positive. But, don't expect a miraculous difference... Like someone said, you get what you pay for. But considering the dirt-cheap price of the raw material, this is more than what I paid for. But, again it could just be my perception. You tend to drive nicer after such experiments on your vehicle.

Yes Finally Ive done it, I got a mixture of 100 grams Boric acid and After a lot of hesitation i added just 50 ml in my car today morning, Skepticisim i guess. In 5 minutes i felt the engine noise reduce drastically, And a reall smoothness in my drive, when i accelerated
Tonite i will add the remaing 50 ml then Will post the final result tomorrow. But yes i can quite happily say that im sold on this boric acid stuff

Wow Finetuning way to go. 1st Acetone then xylene then 2T Now Boric acid what Next?

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 18th February 2007 at 17:05.
Old 18th February 2007, 22:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Ah, another convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay View Post
Yes Finally Ive done it. In 5 minutes i felt the engine noise reduce drastically, And a reall smoothness in my drive, when i accelerated. Tonite i will add the remaing 50 ml then Will post the final result tomorrow. But yes i can quite happily say that im sold on this boric acid stuff

Wow Finetuning way to go. 1st Acetone then xylene then 2T Now Boric acid what Next?
Old 19th February 2007, 10:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, another convert...
GD no man not another convert, was always high on acetone xylene & 2T.. And GROOVED....
Its just that for the boric acid thing took a little time for me to get done.

Today morning i added the balance content of 50 ml.
Now total content of boric acid is 100 grams.
The effect is a resounding smoothness in the engine, noise levels are very low.
Old 21st February 2007, 11:26   #67
BHPian

100 Kms Update

I have completed 100 kms after adding the boric acid treatment,
The most remarkable observation is that the engine is silent, even at 2000 rpm one can hardly hear the engine noise. at idling ther are no vibrations in the car.
I must say boric acid really works will be shortly adding the same to my gear box & maybe to the petrol also.
Old 21st February 2007, 12:16   #68
BANNED

Great piece of information.

But i am bit wary to try it out in my new vehicle.

May be i will try after some time
Old 21st February 2007, 21:47   #69

My Experience

Could not update earlier:

Little background:
I have been using Acetone irregularly for almost 6 months now and it really does make difference in the performance, never cared to check on FE, I feel it would be marginal.

My Maruti 1000 is due for engine rebuild, and I have been postponing the same for some time due to lack of time, money, energy and inclination.
It doesn’t visibly soots but is currently drinking oil at the rate of approx 900ml per 1000km.

In the recent past I have been experimenting with oil additives with varied amount of temporary success w.r.t oil sipping habit.

Was really curious to try the Boric acid for some time, but was worried about boric acid clogging the oil filter and damaging engine, did some googling with some positive results.

Finally took the plunge, worst case, it would not allow me to delay the rebuild any further.

Here’s what I did:
Dissolved 180gm of boric powder in 200ml of Acetone, it dissolves similar to corn flour in water (guys with culinary skills would know). Mixed this with half liter of engine Oil and churned it in an old blender for almost 5-6 minutes.

Added the same to the engine, gone for a quick ride for about 10kms with eyes glued to the temperature gauge, didn’t notice anything unusual, parked the car with plans to schedule the service at the earliest.

Was busy in office, almost forgot the boric acid thing for almost 2 weeks, took the car out over the weekend, didn’t realized any difference till I stopped for the red light, Was surprised to note the engine much smoother and quite, tried overtaking few cars and engine felt much more responsive.

Boric acid was working.

It’s more than 300kms now, things are better, closely observing the oil sipping habit, will be able to update after 1000kms.
Old 22nd February 2007, 19:11   #70

Did anyone tried using Boric Acid powder in Diesel Engine? Please post the experience.

By going through the experrience of various people, I'm also itching towards trying it out in Scorpio.
Old 22nd February 2007, 21:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Seems you did not read the earlier posts on this subject. There are exhaustive reports on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama012411 View Post
Did anyone tried using Boric Acid powder in Diesel Engine? Please post the experience.

By going through the experrience of various people, I'm also itching towards trying it out in Scorpio.
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:31   #72
BHPian

Totally convinced on the boric acid in the engine oil..... Love the results.

Now for the next step. Boric acid in the Gear Box.
The engine has an oil pump as well as oil filter so that can trap any particles of boric acid that have not mixed completely also the pump ensures that the oil mixture is always tubulent so it will mix well.

In the gear box there is no such provision.
Who can one ensure that the boric powder not just settle at the bottom?
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Simple dear Watson,

Try mixing some boric powder in engine oil and stir it well or use a blender. Now what you will see is a collodial solution - that means, the boric powder will not dissolve in the oil but shall remain in suspended animation due to the viscosity of the oil. More so in gear oil because of its high viscosity.

Even if we suppose that the boric particle shall settle down in the gearbox, one must remember that once the gears are engaged, they rotate at high speed creating major turbulence in the gearbox. So even if sedimentation takes place, it will again be stirred properly...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay View Post
Totally convinced on the boric acid in the engine oil..... Love the results.

Now for the next step. Boric acid in the Gear Box.
The engine has an oil pump as well as oil filter so that can trap any particles of boric acid that have not mixed completely also the pump ensures that the oil mixture is always tubulent so it will mix well.

In the gear box there is no such provision.
Who can one ensure that the boric powder not just settle at the bottom?
Old 23rd February 2007, 13:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Simple dear Watson,

Try mixing some boric powder in engine oil and stir it well or use a blender. Now what you will see is a collodial solution - that means, the boric powder will not dissolve in the oil but shall remain in suspended animation due to the viscosity of the oil. More so in gear oil because of its high viscosity.

Even if we suppose that the boric particle shall settle down in the gearbox, one must remember that once the gears are engaged, they rotate at high speed creating major turbulence in the gearbox. So even if sedimentation takes place, it will again be stirred properly...:-)

Hey GD you have you put the same in your gear box?
Old 24th February 2007, 20:40   #75
BHPian

Hi kaizer,
Make sure to replace oil filter after say 800k for best result...all carbons thats being removed from engine will be collected there......in gear box its so beneficial....not only gear shifting becomes smooth but it also improves tooth drag in gears........they rotates at high speeds soone need ot worry about deposits.......wait for a month for adding in tank.....

Hi Sutra,
I m waiting for your more inputs about oil leakage......do change oil filter after 800 km or so......

Hi kama01,
irrespective of fuels used engine remaining the same.....so friction reduction will be the key benefit using this stuff.....

On bajaj pulsar 150 I have seen FE OF 62 which seems unbeleivable......this was confirmed with 1 ltr test..........one need to dissolve in good solvents which also help in lubrication.......

Enjoy........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks