Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 23:27   #1
BHPian

ABS types and generations

Hi,

To begin with my apologies if this is already discussed in some other thread but I did a search for the term "ABS" and came with no result. Which is surprising because I do remember seeing the term "ABS" is mentioned in several posts. Please let me know if I not doing something right.

I saw an article today which was discussing the features of a new Hyundai car where one of the features mentioned was a "third generation ABS". This was the first time I heard about generations in ABS. I went a looked it up on the net and found this which actually mentions that the current generation of ABS is ABS 8 which was first introduced in 2001. The other thing I came across is types of ABS which was quite nicely explained in howstuffworks.

Would anyone know what kind of ABS is used in the cars fitted with ABS in India?

Sharath
Old 17th June 2006, 10:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sharathjeppu,

"ABS" is 3 characters, and our search feature requires a minimum of 4 characters to show any results. (soon to be upgraded to a better version).

For the timebeing, check out the searching for advanced users guide.

Interesting topic!...waiting to see some replies..

cya
R
Old 21st April 2009, 04:37   #3
BHPian

My friend who recently bought a Swift VDi ABS bumped his car in one of those highway auto's with pig iron bodies....he claims that ABS in non-sensicle as his car didn't brake properly on the road side sand and hit the auto.

Now, could that be a draw back of ABS or maybe a one off case caused to to negligent driving?
Old 21st April 2009, 08:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is one of the disadvantages with ABS. On loose surfaces like sand and slippery surfaces like ice, ABS will cause reduced braking efficiency because in those conditions, you want the wheel to lock up to get some sort of friction.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:07   #5
BHPian

@ ImmortalZ, I don't think what you have mentioned is a disadvantage. If you see any instance of ABS testing, its done only on slippery surface to prove its effectiveness as against non ABS ones. I also don't agree with reduced braking efficiency. Under slippery conditions, driver would still hold control of the directional ability of his car.

@ Alexnazim, IMO there is a difference in the method employed while driving an ABS car when ABS takes effect. The brake pedal travel increases along with a kind of pulse in the pedal, one has to push the pedal a lot more to stop effectively. As an innovation, I don't see any disadvantage as against not having ABS.

I too would like to know the generations of ABS employed in Indian cars by the experts in the field here.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
That is one of the disadvantages with ABS. On loose surfaces like sand and slippery surfaces like ice, ABS will cause reduced braking efficiency because in those conditions, you want the wheel to lock up to get some sort of friction.
numerous experiments have proved that braking distances drastically reduce with ABS on slippery surfaces, there no decrease in the braking efficiency, it might feel like the ABS isnt working momentarily on such surface since even though the ABS trying to prevent the wheels from locking up, the tyres are liable to slide even when they are not locked up esp on loose gravel.

and you definitely dont want the wheels to lock under these condition. you cant get friction when your wheels locked up , it is false friction which might lead you believe that you are brakes are working better coz you came to a screeching halt.

the fact that your wheels have locked up and you are still in motion (in a skid) means that the momentum of the vehicle is greater than the friciton it is getting.

Last edited by siddartha : 21st April 2009 at 12:24.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the Swift has 2-channel ABS---only on the front wheels. So it is a bad example for judging ABS efficacy.
Old 21st April 2009, 15:10   #8
BHPian

ABS cannot be only in the front wheels, it has to be in all the 4 wheels. Swift does have it in all 4 wheels.
Old 21st April 2009, 15:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Two channel ABS does not mean it is only on the front wheels. It could also mean that the system does not control each wheel independently. Therefore, one channel per axle.
Old 21st April 2009, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It could also mean that the system does not control each wheel independently. Therefore, one channel per axle.
2 channel implementations are never done with one channel per axle now a days. It is typically done with one channel per side or one channel for diagonally opposite wheels.
Old 21st April 2009, 16:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

According to the Workshop Manual the Swift has a 4 Channel 4 sensor ABS system. But nothing given on what generation ABS it is. Refer image below.
Attached Thumbnails
ABS types and generations-swift-abs.jpg  

vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2009, 16:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ah-ha! Handy info that. Thanks vikram!
Old 21st April 2009, 18:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Ah-ha! Handy info that. Thanks vikram!

This makes me wonder, what would happen if you blew a fuse while driving at high speed and your ABS loses it's power?? I know this is very rare but what kind of impact would it have?
Old 21st April 2009, 19:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

The little ABS light on your dash will come on and you won't have ABS while braking.
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:22   #15
BHPian

It is correct that ABS reduces braking efficiency on loose surfaces or snow. This does not mean loss of direction control but the stopping distance. I have experienced this first hand on the Civic v/s the Focus. The wheels do not lock and hence the car does not stop but keeps rolling slightly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks