Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 12:42   #1
BHPian

Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

I want to convey to all Kizashi owners who bought their Kizashi's in the discount/dead stock phase an important piece of information.

Some of the kizashi's bought later are having an issue where the steering vibrates and in some case steers towards the left when braking at speeds of 100 and above.

I too was suffering from the same and initially the service center also ignored it saying it was normal but when the vibration became unbearable and the steering started turning to the left they had to take a look at it and found that the rotors were rusted and the discs were deshaped due to excessive use in such a state. Even the brake pads were damaged due to this.

I even noticed a few people discussing this in some of the threads so I thought of starting a new thread on the same.

If you are facing this issue I suggest you to take your kizashi to the MASS without any further delay.

SYMPTOMS
1) steering vibrates while braking at high speeds
2) steering may also vobble without braking in extreme cases
3) Car moves towards the left while braking if there is no input from driver

SIDE EFFECTS
1) Longer braking distances
2) very short life of brake pads ( mine are toast within 10600 kms)
3) deshaped discs
4) May eventually lead to brake fail if left unattended.

REASONS
This may have happened due to inappropriate storage during the time they were in the godown. It is not necessary that all the kizashi's bought in discount phase may have this issue. It depends on how late you bought the car and how well the dealer was storing it. Strangely though, this problem is isolated only to the front discs and not the rear.(EDIT: it turns out that even the rear brakes are having this issue so now all 4 brakes have problem.)

DAMAGE TO WALLET
If you are not in warranty you might have to shell out as much as Rs.30000/- for a pair of front discs and pads as these are not covered in insurance.

CAN I STILL DRIVE IT?
Well I asked the same question. They suggested to say within the tolerance limits of the brakes which around 70-80 km/h which does not cause vibration during braking.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st October 2013 at 10:47. Reason: As requested
rockporiom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 14:32   #2
BHPian

re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I want to convey to all Kizashi owners who bought their Kizashi's in the discount/dead stock phase an important piece of information.
This sounds scary. Have you got your car rectified? If yes how much time did the service center take? Did this take a long time as the car is a CBU and the service people might stock its spares in their inventory.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 15:08   #3
BHPian

They have assured me that it will be covered in warranty. They have called me with the car to the regional office on saturday will update then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
This sounds scary. Have you got your car rectified? If yes how much time did the service center take? Did this take a long time as the car is a CBU and the service people might stock its spares in their inventory.
No, the car is yet to be rectified. A mail has been sent to Maruti via the A.S.S they have called me to the regional office. The part will take 10-15 days to arrive once it is approved for warranty. But if the part is available in any regional godown it will take less time.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2013 at 15:34. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 17th October 2013, 15:13   #4
BHPian

Say, arent the pads being replaced a little too early? I cant believe they go kaput unless they are driven on a track where they are used like crazy. Good to see they are saying it will be covered under warranty. That comment regarding suzuki being the tata of japan made me go for a few minutes. Come on, if they were the tata of japan, they wouldnt be favoured much within their country itself, forget about multinational support. The japs are reliable, no doubt about it. Only grouse many of us have is that sometimes they hand us this hefty bill that many wouldnt want to see.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 17th October 2013 at 15:14.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Say, arent the pads being replaced a little too early? I cant believe they go kaput unless they are driven on a track where they are used like crazy. Good to see they are saying it will be covered under warranty. That comment regarding suzuki being the tata of japan made me go for a few minutes. Come on, if they were the tata of japan, they wouldnt be favoured much within their country itself, forget about multinational support. The japs are reliable, no doubt about it. Only grouse many of us have is that sometimes they hand us this hefty bill that many wouldnt want to see.
The pads gave way so soon because of the discs getting deshaped and the constant battering that they were getting from the rattle and vibration. The pads were actually cracking and chipping.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The pads gave way so soon because of the discs getting deshaped and the constant battering that they were getting from the rattle and vibration. The pads were actually cracking and chipping.
This is actually a reason for worry. Please get the discs replaced and i feel suzuki should replace yours under warranty as a goodwill gesture. But do pads even chip? i have always felt they would run down due to friction but yes, if the discs deform then there is definitely a problem. Is the pressure on the disc a lot/uneven contact or warping? I really do feel that suzuki should look into this because brakes are what helps the car to stop.
I hope suzuki resolves this issue to your satisfaction.
Old 17th October 2013, 16:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
This is actually a reason for worry. Please get the discs replaced and i feel suzuki should replace yours under warranty as a goodwill gesture. But do pads even chip? i have always felt they would run down due to friction but yes, if the discs deform then there is definitely a problem. Is the pressure on the disc a lot/uneven contact or warping? I really do feel that suzuki should look into this because brakes are what helps the car to stop.
I hope suzuki resolves this issue to your satisfaction.
If they are a responsible company they should recall the cars to check for this issue regardless of the small sales as it can be fatal since the car is capable of going upto
230 km/h imagine at that point of time if the brakes fail or the steering vibrates and the car steers to the left After the SA told me what has happened I havr never dared to exceed 80km/h
Old 17th October 2013, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Would be great if you could post photos of the parts. Will help others to check if their car suffers from the same problem.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 16:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Would be great if you could post photos of the parts. Will help others to check if their car suffers from the same problem.
I am sorry but that is a bit difficult because the damage is not visible from outside. The wheels and calipers will have to be removed for that to completly expose the discs. The disc will look perfect on the top but it is towards the back and in between that the issue lies. I will ask the SA to give me the photos since he had taken some and sent them to Maruti for warranty purpose.
Old 19th October 2013, 12:10   #10
BHPian

This is the image that I was able to take in the workshop today
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking-20131019120530.png  

Old 28th October 2013, 02:17   #11
BHPian

*UPDATE*
Maruti engineers checked the brake lines, cleaned the brake pads, did alignment, did tyre rotation.

The car now doesn't pull to the left without braking but when you brake at 80 and above the steering vibrates and pulls to the left.

So they finally decided to change the discs and the brake pads (only front two) As they say that the other workshop had not diagnosed the issue properly and have assured me that if the need is felt they would replace the rear 2 also ( the other workshop is also owned by the same dealer though according to them wasn't equipped enough to service kizashi and vitara's. Wasn't surprised as I saw three vitara's waiting for service in the equipped workshop that I was now visiting). Waiting for parts to arrive till then.

Last edited by rockporiom : 28th October 2013 at 02:24.
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:40   #12
BHPian

*UPDATE*

The service center has raised an FTR or field trouble report since almost all kizzies in ahmedabad have this issue. There is a very high chance that a recall may be announced if maruti approves it. If it is approved it will be one of the costliest recalls for them.
rockporiom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

An FTR only in Ahmedabad? :O I think they would have sold a lot more cars in the metros and ought to do this for all major cities in the country.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
An FTR only in Ahmedabad? :O I think they would have sold a lot more cars in the metros and ought to do this for all major cities in the country.
Once an FTR is raised maruti will check other areas also so don't worry bro. Your area will also get a recall when it is announced by maruti.

Today there is another *UPDATE*
My car is right now on stands as the discs have been removed and they are checking each individual disc for abnormal wear. There are many more cars that have been called for checking the same. They are checking if only a single disc is to be changed or is it all the discs. One disc is Rs.9000/- so maruti will have a huge bill if it is a recall.

Last edited by rockporiom : 4th December 2013 at 20:13.
Old 6th December 2013, 05:49   #15
BHPian

If the entire front face of the disc was rusted, that means that the pad wasn't making contact. Have they checked the calipers for smooth operation? It sounds like they are binding and not sliding the way they should.

In the US, I read one account where someone had a brake issue in the rear where a caliper did not slide and locked the inner rear brake pad to the rotor and wore it completely out. This was covered under warranty for him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks