Team-BHP - CNG in a Palio 1.2/Swift/Getz
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   CNG in a Palio 1.2/Swift/Getz (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/14356-cng-palio-1-2-swift-getz.html)

Hello everyone. This is my first thread. Presently I own a two-wheeler, and will be upgrading to a four-wheeler. I have narrowed down my choice to Palio 1.2, Swift and Getz. The only thing that is keeping me from upgrading to a four wheeler are the never ending fuel price hikes.

Since I live in Delhi region, some people have suggested that I install a CNG kit as it will save substantial fuel costs. Initial installation cost will be there, but Im ready to bear that. However, some have even warned me that Palio being a heavy car for the 1.2 L engine, CNG will wear out the engine fast. Can members who have installed CNG kits in their vehicles or have knowledge in this subject give me some advice related the above mentioned point? Also, what will be the effect on the engine by installing a CNG kit in a Swift or Getz also?

Thanks in advance.

Swift having the modded esteem engine, i think is a safer bet for CNG addon. But would you really be using the car that much to actually justify the 30-40K of the CNG installation ? Maruti has some OE CNG fitments for its various vehicles you could look at that too.

Thanks for replying. I would be travelling 1000 kms per month. Taking Swifts FE into account, approx 12 overall, that would mean 83 L of petrol every month. Taking fuel price(Xtra premiuim) into account at Rs. 48.5/L, it amounts to Rs. 4025 aprox per month. If a CNG kit is installed, assuming CNG gives a mileage of 15, that would mean 67 Kgs of CNG per month. Since CNG now costs Rs. 19.2/kg, it amounts to Rs. 1920 per month. The difference every month would be Rs. 2105. Cost of CNG kit max is Rs. 40,000. This cost can be recovered in 1 and a half years, after which it is saving for the rest of the 3 and a half years which is the normal life of a car in India.

And yes, I have not yet taken into account Iran's threat that fuel prices can very well be increased to 100 $/barrel by this Christmas :)

Hi, Well ...I have just bought an Indica XETA with CNG ( Although CNG is to be installed after 10 days)..The warranty is extended by TATA on the XETA as its a TATA Approved Bendini Kit installed by Shri-Manker in Okhla, the cost of whch is charged by TATA. The day I took delivery, I also saw a New Palio with a CNG kit- You may want to speak with TATA Motors and confirm that do they cover warranty on a FIAT vehicle also-Since FIAT is now sold & serviced by TATA. The biggest drawback with anyother Car company is that none except TATA offer warranty on the car after CNG is installed- I researched with Maruti/Hyundai- But they said that the warranty on the new car will become void after CNG is installed- TATA on the other hand said that if you get a TATA approved CNG kit installed the warranty remains active for the whole 36 Months period offered on any Indica XETA car.

CNG Installation is around 38,000 for a Normal Kit-12 Kg Cylinder- Add on are RTO cost + Insurance IDV + Advanced Timer + Lamda Control , which in all will be 8000 rupees more.
The cost is very much recoverable + CNG is available everywhere in Delhi and Noida.

Suggested Brands for CNG are Bendini and Landi Renzo.

You can also go through the Which small car for CNG thread and LPG Threads in the search. We have discussed options and have a good number of suggestions for the same.

Since My CNG installation is still due, I cannot comment on the performance-However before buying the CNG XETA, I did drive a friends CNG XETA and the performance was as good as petrol. His XETA was on the regular Euro 3 kit by Bendini, The Kit I'm getting installed is the New Euro 3 - ECU-Lamda-Kit which is arriving soon for installation.This will boost the CNG performance much more.

regards

If you plan to resell the CNG converted car you might lose a big amount there compared to if it was run on petrol. So whatever you saved on CNG savings is nullified when you resell the car. Even if you do not resell still the overall cost was somewhat or the other same. So it's like holding the ear from the other side instead of directly.