Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 21:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underbody Hit & Cracked Sump : Implications, Vulnerabilities, Responsibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Also, often overlooked, you need to inspect your engine mounts.
Easily forgotten/overlooked.
Interesting, but entirely logical. Thanks for highlighting.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th November 2013, 07:01   #47
BHPian

Re: Underbody Hit & Cracked Sump : Implications, Vulnerabilities, Responsibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
A small list of hatches and sedans with best ground clearance which may be relevant to the issue (of course this alone will not make the vehicle immune) -

Hatches -

Fiat Grande Punto - 185 mm (195 mm base model)
Chevy Sail U-VA - 174 mm
Toyota Liva - 170 mm
Maruthi Swift - 170 mm
Maruthi Ritz - 170 mm

Sedans -

Fiat Linea - 180 mm
Maruthi SX4 - 170 to 180 mm (model dependant)
Toyota Corolla Altis - 175 mm
Mahindra Verito - 172 mm
Toyota Etios & Maruthi Swift Dzire- 170 mm
The base model punto also has 185 mm as ground clearance. Atleast that's what the web site says.

Here is a link
http://www.fiat-india.com/specifications/?vehicle=Punto
raichoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 09:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
The base model punto also has 185 mm as ground clearance. Atleast that's what the web site says.

Here is a link
http://www.fiat-india.com/specifications/?vehicle=Punto
My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 17th November 2013, 18:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Just had this happen to my car in Pune, didn't even hit anything hard. Just the front bottom out and scraped. Thankfully no damage to the engine since stopped the car and towed it to the fixing guy.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:13   #50
BHPian

Wanted some urgent Advice!

I own a 2011, Chevrolet Beat TCDi. A few weeks back, I hit an underbelly stone while driving at about 20-30Kmph. The thud sound wasn't major, and never bothered to check. After all, scraping the front bumper is usual with Beat in Bangalore.

Today, I gave it for service. And came to know that the Engine Oil Sump has been damaged, but there's no Oil Leak. SVC advisor has asked me to get it changed ASAP. The damage is just a dent. I will post the pictures for better understanding. But I require some assistance here.

My queries are the following:

(1) Without Oil leak, slightly damaged sump - Is it fine to drive with a minor damaged sump - Considering that I will make sure not to hit again atleast for few thousands kms?

(2) If the Sump is replaced - what all needs to be replaced.

(3) Is there an aftermarket option of fitting bash plates for Cheverolet Beat in Bangalore.
Old 15th September 2014, 16:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
...Engine Oil Sump has been damaged, but there's no Oil Leak. ... The damage is just a dent.

(1) Without Oil leak, slightly damaged sump - Is it fine to drive with a minor damaged sump - Considering that I will make sure not to hit again atleast for few thousands kms?

(2) If the Sump is replaced - what all needs to be replaced.

(3) Is there an aftermarket option of fitting bash plates for Cheverolet Beat in Bangalore.
Sump damage is a very frequent issue with the Beat.

(1) The oil pump is located very close to the base of the sump and is frequently damaged even in case of a minor hit. Even without any apparent problems to the car, have the ASC / and FNG open up the sump from below and check the oil pump, as well as put in a gauge & check if the oil pressure is normal. At the same time, have the dent hammered out before refitting the sump.

(2) Does not need to be replaced. Can be repaired.

(3) All Beat vehicles from mid-2012 onwards (IIRC) came with a steel sump guard as OE fitment, and the company had also put out a TSB to all dealers to retrofit these guards to all other Beats under warranty. However, most dealers only chose to fit the sump guards on customer request / specific complaints. Please take this up with the dealer for a sump guard retrofit.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 16:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Sump damage is a very frequent issue with the Beat.

(1) The oil pump is located very close to the base of the sump and is frequently damaged even in case of a minor hit. Even without any apparent problems to the car, have the ASC / and FNG open up the sump from below and check the oil pump, as well as put in a gauge & check if the oil pressure is normal. At the same time, have the dent hammered out before refitting the sump.

(2) Does not need to be replaced. Can be repaired.

(3) All Beat vehicles from mid-2012 onwards (IIRC) came with a steel sump guard as OE fitment, and the company had also put out a TSB to all dealers to retrofit these guards to all other Beats under warranty. However, most dealers only chose to fit the sump guards on customer request / specific complaints. Please take this up with the dealer for a sump guard retrofit.
Thanks a ton for your quick reply! Though I had read about the sump hitting issue in Chevrolet Beat, I generally drive carefully and have upsized the tires.

(1) Thanks for highlighting this. I would get the Oil Pump checked. Does OBD can help, check the Oil Pressure?

(2) The issues is - If I get it repaired outside, I stand to loose warranty. At A.S.S, it can only be replaced - at least that's what I have been told.

(3) I have asked them to install the OEM sump guard. Not sure, if I will be charged. Will update.

(4) Can sump damage be claimed under insurance? Afterall I haven't got any "consequential loss".

Total repair cost has been estimated at 7000 bucks!
Old 15th September 2014, 17:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post
T
(1) Thanks for highlighting this. I would get the Oil Pump checked. Does OBD can help, check the Oil Pressure?

(2) The issues is - If I get it repaired outside, I stand to loose warranty. At A.S.S, it can only be replaced - at least that's what I have been told.
Not with OBD. An oil pressure gauge needs to be attached where the low oil pressure warning switch is installed, and an oil pressure reading taken.

Opening and denting a sump - if the dealer wants to nitpick then they might void warranty in case of a future claim. That they might also do if the sump isn't replaced! I know of one Beat owner who has had his entire engine replaced under warranty after a sump hit and oil loss. So maybe if you ask loudly enough (and write to the company) about replacing the sump under warranty as well as getting the sump guard retrofitted, they just might do it.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 13:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not with OBD. An oil pressure gauge needs to be attached where the low oil pressure warning switch is installed, and an oil pressure reading taken.

Opening and denting a sump - if the dealer wants to nitpick then they might void warranty in case of a future claim. That they might also do if the sump isn't replaced! I know of one Beat owner who has had his entire engine replaced under warranty after a sump hit and oil loss. So maybe if you ask loudly enough (and write to the company) about replacing the sump under warranty as well as getting the sump guard retrofitted, they just might do it.
At my 31K Service, I paid a total of 14348/- including the sump guard and labour. I have also opted for 1 year extended warranty for an additional amount of 4100/-. I have been charged about 3K for the Sump Guard alone and told, that the damage to the sump is very minimal and should not be cause for worry, however incase my Turbo Fails, warranty won't be applicable. It's another issue that in one month my official warrant will cease, and extended warranty does not cover turbo.

Though they didn't check the Oil Pump, the pressure was found to be fine.

I will try to reach to GM now for the replacement for sump under warranty. Thanks a ton for the help!
rahuldevnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 23:19   #55
BHPian

Swift VDI Underbody Damage

My Swift VDI Old Shape suffered under body damage from a big evil rock today

Here is the damaged part ( The local mechanic says its called "Garder" )

The rock bent the "Garder" and the tyre now comes in contact with the tyre enclosure while turning. This happens with right side tyre only. So the car is grounded as i dont want to do damage to the tyre and enclosure plastics

Underbody Hit & Cracked Sump : Implications, Vulnerabilities, Responsibilities-dsc_0089.jpg

Can anyone please identify the part and share details, cost etc

Last edited by Pandher : 19th August 2015 at 23:21.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:55   #56
BHPian

The 'Bent Here' is the suspension frame and the 'Hit Spot' is the lower arm. Observe the gap by putting your fingers between tyre and the fender both RHS and the LHS if found uneven get the lower arm and the strut checked.
Old 20th August 2015, 00:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift VDI Underbody Damage

The hit spot is the lower arm that you have bent, that needs to be changed as because of that the tyre has moved back/front a bit and causing it to hit the inside of the tyre well while turning. The other hit is the cross member, which you should not worry about as long as its a bend and not a crack.

Put it on an alignment machine and it will show excessive caster due to the bent lower arm.

A lower arm should cost you around 2 thousand rupees including labor.
Old 20th August 2015, 17:06   #58
BHPian

I went to the local Maruti Authorized Service Station today, they said the sub frame is dented and shrinked so they need to replace it, the lower arm might be ok

They gave me these prices -

Lower arm - Rs 1500
Subframe - 8500

Labor - 1000
Old 21st August 2015, 10:46   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
I went to the local Maruti Authorized Service Station today, they said the sub frame is dented and shrinked so they need to replace it, the lower arm might be ok

They gave me these prices -

Lower arm - Rs 1500
Subframe - 8500

Labor - 1000
Our i20 had a similar hit which damaged the Subframe(also called cross-member). Costed 10K for the part alone.

Estimate looks fine
Old 21st December 2015, 19:01   #60
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I was returning from Hyderabad, and I crossed a big stone. The stones were there at the middle of the road as if they were purposefully kept, and I couldnt react on time and I went over it. My Punto 90 HP which has a 185 mm of GC got a massive thud sound, and I pulled over the car immediately. I bent down to see what kind of damage is done and whether there is any oil leakage. I couldnt find anything hanging. After the impact the car started sounding like a modified sports car, so thought that there is some damage done to the silencer at least.
I couldnt find any oil leak, so I continued driving and then checked the oil leak again after some kms. Again, couldnt find any leakage nor any low oil signal in the MID, so went on driving it as I was approaching Pune and it was around 3 in the morning.

All in all I travelled close to 150 kms after the impact, and always kept my eyes on the MID. I have taken an appointment at FASS for tomorrow and will get the underbody checked thoroughly.Today morning also I checked if there is any leakage, but again couldnt find.

The engine+exhaust was sounding normal till 2400 RPM, and then it turned a little coarse for a couple of 100 RPMs and then again it was sounding all right. At idle also, it was sounding a little different, like a sports car. What parts can get damaged after this impact?

Last edited by Waspune : 21st December 2015 at 19:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks