Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 13:47   #1

Bolero: Repositioning the handbrake

Is there a way to alter the positioning of the Hand Brake? When the reverse gear is on, you cannot manage the hand brake. I was driving into a car park and was on a slope. I needed to reverse to steer the car away from the wall. So, when I shifted the gear to reverse, I needed to manage the hand break and since there was no space, I could not do and ended scraping the bumper.
Old 7th November 2013, 18:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bolero: Repositioning the handbrake

In terms of ergonomics, the Bolero is one messed up ride.

Good news for you is, it's very easy to change the handbrake position. Any competent mechanic should be able to do the same for you. If it helps, the Bolero DI has its handbrake to the right of the driver's seat. See if that position works for you.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 19:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsharm View Post
Is there a way to alter the positioning of the Hand Brake? When the reverse gear is on, you cannot manage the hand brake. I was driving into a car park and was on a slope. I needed to reverse to steer the car away from the wall. So, when I shifted the gear to reverse, I needed to manage the hand break and since there was no space, I could not do and ended scraping the bumper.
Last week only I Visited Mahindra showroom. I've seen bolero pickups with hand brake at right hand side. Have a look at those as well.
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 20:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsharm View Post
I'm surprised that you still have your hand-brakes working.. While owning a Mahindra please make it a habit of not relying on any add-on's other than the engine and drivetrain.

Jokes apart, when you change the hand brake location, please make sure you get the correct cable to match it with.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 21:13   #5
BHPian

I am doubtful if relocation of hand brake would help completely. I have a Bolero since last 4 years and found handbrake never effective enough to hold the vehicle's weight. During the initial one year, i kept trying to adjust it many times but it could never hold.

As dhanushs said, you rely only on the engine and gearbox in a Mahindra!
But otherwise Bolero is a no nonsense work horse, always keeps going.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 11:25   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
While owning a Mahindra please make it a habit of not relying on any add-on's other than the engine and drivetrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
During the initial one year, i kept trying to adjust it many times but it could never hold.

If I remember correctly wasn't the handbrake under the left side of the steering wheel? If yes, can't it be repositioned there?

If standstill and you need the handbrake then there is the Jugaad anyway - Stones to be placed under the tyre to hold it + handbrake.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 12:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
I am doubtful if relocation of hand brake would help completely. I have a Bolero since last 4 years and found handbrake never effective enough to hold the vehicle's weight. During the initial one year, i kept trying to adjust it many times but it could never hold.

But otherwise Bolero is a no nonsense work horse, always keeps going.

That is scary! But thanks for the tip!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks