Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 20:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have almost decided to close in with OCW, it will suit my need well. Will be ordering soon, thanks guys for all the help. Haven't it been this thread, I would have ordered the turtle by now. Googled for review of ocw and got an detailed thread for ocw on gear heads. Thanks once again friends.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 21:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Swirls are unavoidable but with careful maintenance, can be minimized. A good wax will add gloss and depth to the look while protecting it from the elements. However, a wax alone can not minimize swirls.
Please can you share what are the other factors to look out for, to avoid swirls, apart from care while cleaning a dirty/dusty car. I mean, I thought wax is better than sealant when it comes to protection from swirls.

Which product is best to remove light swirls, for application by hand. I can't upgrade to a motorized polisher soon.

Quote:
M26 is a fairly decent wax to start with on a low budget if one wants good quantity for the price. They also have a sealant called NXT 2.0 that gives a very glossy look. So, if you can't afford a Collinite or an OCW; it is absolutely fine to start with Meg's.
If you have experience with both Collinite 845 and Megs 26, please add to the review kitty. I would love to have a comparison.

One noob question: I guess we put wax on top of sealant and not the other way round, please clarify.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 12:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Please can you share what are the other factors to look out for, to avoid swirls, apart from care while cleaning a dirty/dusty car. I mean, I thought wax is better than sealant when it comes to protection from swirls.
I follow these basic steps to maintain my car:
  1. Dust with a Jopasu duster every morning before leaving for work, takes 5 minutes
  2. Remove any bird droppings as quickly as possible by spraying a QD solution and gently removing with a soft MF cloth after letting it soak for a minute. Bird droppings are highly acidic and will cut through most sealants and waxes, even multiple layers and will cause etching that will be hard to remove
  3. Always keep a waterless wash product readily diluted in a spray bottle and a few MF towels in a Zip Pouch in the car. These come in handy to remove bird droppings, finger prints or even if you decide to do a waterless wash on a panel if it is a little dusty.
  4. Do a Rinseless wash once a week using the Gary Dean method ( I use Ultima Waterless Wash, Optimum No Rinse and a bunch of other brands)
  5. Hand Polish or Machine polish once every 3 months
  6. Use a good wax or sealant at least once in 3 months
Quote:
If you have experience with both Collinite 845 and Megs 26, please add to the review kitty. I would love to have a comparison.
I have used C845 long time ago but I do not have a documented review. It was before I knew about detailing and we were just using a "Wax" on a friend's Jeep.
I would like other detailing enthusiasts on this forum to share their reviews on the waxes & sealants that they have tried. Otherwise, this will become one boring thread with too many pictures of a Blue Punto.

I have not used M26 but I am sure somebody will post a review sooner or later.

Quote:
One noob question: I guess we put wax on top of sealant and not the other way round, please clarify.
Correct. Sealant first and then wax goes on top. Although, I personally always recommend that pick one and stick to it. A good Wax or Sealant is capable of protecting the paint on it's own so there isn't really a need to use both. Some people layer their sealants while other layer their waxes and yet another bunch of folks layer the sealant and then top up with layers of waxes. It just boils down to personal preferences and some people like the look of a wax while others are happy with sealants. Some people feel that using a sealant first and then topping it up with a wax will give additional protection and best of both the worlds. There really isn't anything wrong with any of the approaches.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 15th November 2013 at 12:49.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 20:34   #19
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which product is best to remove light swirls, for application by hand. I can't upgrade to a motorized polisher soon.

1. Swirl removal by hand is too much to ask, what you can do is this- certain products round of the edges of the swirls so that light reflection does not show them OR you can use a polish with fillers that will hide them
Hiding swirls is a very popular method used by DIY folks as someone said once " what you do not see, does not exist!"
2. To put a wax/sealant some thumb rules apply
Always put a strong layer at the base, which means even for waxes- a hard and then soft wax.
This means that if a stronger layer is below, the relatively weaker product will not sink and degrade the lower layer when put above.
It will need some more knowledge on the combination you will be using.
Putting carnauba waxes as the last layer above sealants is popular as they do not eat away into the layer below which is normally a strong sealant.
Dodo juice waxes are very popular and they have a lot of information on their site to explain this. ( because people mix and match their waxes for that killer look they seek )

Another point to add when putting a combination- ideally a chemical synergy should exist, but then people who love to experiment do not really care about this point a lot.
mkh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 21:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
That's a very good suggestion by mkh. I have personally used Autoglym Super Resin Polish http://www.autoglym.com/products/pro...r-resin-polish, which is very heavy on fillers. This was before i had a rotary polisher. SRP is very popular worldwide as a very good filler heavy polish, especially for people working by hand on minor paint imperfections. It is available in India from their distributor based in Mumbai. They ship all over India and a bottle will cost you Rs. 800. http://www.autoglym.in/contacts.htm

#mkh - Can you suggest any other filler heavy polishes?

At the same time, I won't discourage you from attempting to tackle minor imperfections by hand. It will require a strong compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a lot of elbow grease.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-srp.jpg  

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 15th November 2013 at 21:27.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 12:02   #21
BHPian

Are they any service providers in Bangalore who use similar wax products for paint restoration?
Old 16th November 2013, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Re: Carpro Reload Spray Sealant Review

Quote:
I had tried this sealant in March 2013.

Reload is a water-based product mainly composed from special modified Silica (Sio2) 5 %, glass based coating. Reload will leave a temporary layer and shield of protection on the applied surface. It has hydrophobic water repellent,Anti dirt effect with high gloss appearance.
Versatile coating that can be used on either wet or dry surface.

By the time I was done, I was very impressed with the ease of use and the instant deep gloss that the product managed to create.
Wonderful review..
Can you please quote the price and source from where to buy? i am also looking to buy a similar product for my new car.
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 18:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Are they any service providers in Bangalore who use similar wax products for paint restoration?
Paint Restoration - this is what interests me. My car is well over 4 years old and regular wear and tear is evident on the panels. The panels have minor dents and scratches but nothing major that requires workshop intervention. Is there any DIY for this kinda job ?
Old 17th November 2013, 07:10   #24
BHPian

I was thinking of buying a Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax to maintain the shine of my car, Can anyone please suggest if it is a good product?
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-megultimatequickwax.jpg.d1dd39e282.999x600x600.jpg  

manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 08:05   #25
BHPian

@Pedaltothefloor - could you help differentiate between recommended waxes for darker colored cars vs lighter ones.

I keep heAring that green colored waxes work well for lighter shaded cars and the yellow waxes work wonders on darker ones.

I have a sparkling brown metallic city that am trying to source a good wax for. What do you suggest?
arepalli99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 08:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Wonderful review..
Can you please quote the price and source from where to buy? i am also looking to buy a similar product for my new car.
There are several sellers for Carpro products in India but the prices vary from seller to seller. There is no exclusive distributor in India and you can buy Reload from Ultimatedetailerz or DetailedClean. DC May or may not be operational yet, I haven't checked in a bit. They were planning a launch around mid November and they are one of the better online detailing suppliers in UK.

Edit: I just checked and DC still hasn't launched http://www.detailedclean.in/CarPro/ I will check with them and post the launch date here. Not sure what delayed the launch. You can get it from http://ultimatedetailerz.webs.com/car-pro though. Another seller is Greenz Car Care. I would recommend that you write to them and go with the one that offers the best price. Don't go by the price mentioned on their websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I was thinking of buying a Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax to maintain the shine of my car, Can anyone please suggest if it is a good product?
It is an excellent product and will give a very glossy look that looks nice on colors like White, Silver, Grey. Some people may find it too glossy or looking like "plastic" on colors like Black, Blue and Red. That "Plastic" look is typical to most sealants and since this is a spray sealant (contrary to the it's name), it also gives a similar look.

The durability is not great when compared to competition. For Example, Optimum Car wax will easily look better on any color and will outlast Meg's UQW by a huge margin. However, UQW is cheaper. One thing UQW has going for it is that it may fill very minor paint defects. Don't expect it to fill those scratches and swirls though

Quote:
Originally Posted by arepalli99 View Post
@Pedaltothefloor - could you help differentiate between recommended waxes for darker colored cars vs lighter ones.
Color charged waxes do that little extra something, but it is hard to notice that "little extra" unless you are either a professional detailer or operating at the top of the detailing chain. My recommendation is that you focus on buying a good looking/durable wax and focus on a good prep rather than worrying about the color of the wax.

Quote:
I have a sparkling brown metallic city that am trying to source a good wax for. What do you suggest?
I just looked up the color on Google images and it is a wonderful color to detail. If you use a Sealant or a Hybrid, you will get a very glossy; almost glass like reflections. If you go with a good wax, it will slightly darken the color and look warm and deep. Unfortunately, my current favorite sealant is out of stock with the seller otherwise I would have asked you to try that as it is very durable being a Sealant but looks better than traditional Sealants http://bringingbest.in/index.php?rou...product_id=114

For a Glossy look, pick any of these:
  • Duragloss 111 (Need to wait and then remove post application)
  • UPGP (Probably the easiest to use, just wipe on and you're done)
  • Carpro Reload (A spray sealant like UPGP but need to wipe off post application)
For a deep, warm look of a wax; pick any of these:

• Optimum Car Wax (It is a hybrid on paper but a wax in my book based on the look it gives. Easy to apply as it is a spray wax.)
  • Collinite 915 (Paste Wax, the only wax from Collinite that actually looks like a wax. Good looking and very durable)
  • Bilt Hamber Finis Wax, Dodo Juice waxes and a few other reasonably priced but brilliant waxes can be easily imported from UK based on your budget. I would be happy to share the details if you're interested in taking the import route.

Quote:
I couldn't edit my previous post to add more content as the time limit to edit expired. Here are a few links to help you buy whatever you may decide to go with:#Mods - Please merge with the previous post if possible.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th November 2013 at 09:38.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Theres another very informative thread on detailing. That thread recommended Waxpol, the original orange tin one. The packaging looks kindof gross and would not evoke respect but once you start using this old fashioned cheap hard wax you will be amazed with the results. Its very durable too and water beading is visible for nearly two months after waxing.

I gave up all the collinites,turtle,formula one and other 'phoren' waxes after i laid my hands on this one from vicky.in.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-autopolish120x120.jpg  

Last edited by saion666 : 17th November 2013 at 15:25.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 18:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I have almost decided to close in with OCW, it will suit my need well. Will be ordering soon, thanks guys for all the help. Haven't it been this thread, I would have ordered the turtle by now. Googled for review of ocw and got an detailed thread for ocw on gear heads. Thanks once again friends.
Excellent! Do post a review here if you can find the time.
Old 17th November 2013, 18:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Excellent! Do post a review here if you can find the time.
I went to their fb page, but they don't offer cod nor they take payment from credit card, I have to do a wire transfer. Which is what holding me up now :(

Any other place, where I can get one?
Old 17th November 2013, 21:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I went to their fb page, but they don't offer cod nor they take payment from credit card, I have to do a wire transfer. Which is what holding me up now :(

Any other place, where I can get one?
You can do a NEFT transfer. They are very reliable and I buy from them regularly. Just add them to your bank NEFT and it will be useful whenever you want to buy anything from them.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks