Team-BHP - My Optima Yellow Top died!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   My Optima Yellow Top died! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/14435-my-optima-yellow-top-died.html)

Today afternoon when I tried to start my car it did start or I can say the starter did not work. And I notice on my voltmeter it was showing 10.5 volts. I did not understand what was happeing. I though it might be some loose connetion on the battery terminal. So I open the bonnet and check the wires but everthing was fine. Then I pushed the car and started the car and it started , Also I noticed that there no alternater light on the speedometer dash.

Then I took the car to my mechanic he took out the grand OPTIMA YELLOW TOP , and put the normal lead acid and tried to start the engine. wola everything fit and fine. The culprit was the OPTIMA YELLOW TOP.

Now people please suggest me what to do.........

http://www.amararaja.co.in/optima.asp

What to do? Simple, exchange it under warranty! And ask the dealer to figure out what caused it to fail. These batteries are supposed to be "the best"!

How did the battery "fail" ?

It was putting out 10.5volts, maybe it had just run down (if your lights were left on, or a short circuit etc).

How long was the drive to your mechanics place?

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
How did the battery "fail" ?

It was putting out 10.5volts, maybe it had just run down (if your lights were left on, or a short circuit etc).

How long was the drive to your mechanics place?

cya
R

After arriving at the mechanics he shorted the terminal with wire and there was a very small spark the wire he used to short the battery was a thin one also approx 18 gauge . If the battery would have been ran down it would have burnt the wire this thin. After shorting the battery ends the voltage further reduced below 10 volts.....

It took me about 20 min to reach the mechanic. There he check the working of the alternater and it was fine.

I never leave my light or any thing on while leaving my car. And there was no short circuit also. The normal battery is working fine till now. Will try to charge the optima tomm and post the comments of the same.

Will be talking to the dealer what he has to say about this .......

Amaron has a very commendable service quality.
Let us know about ur experience.

Will surely post on that ......................

I am sure you will get a warranty replacement LBM but whatever you do don't show your ICE to the dealer he might just find something to blame for the battery failure!!!

I replaced a perfectly working battery after seeing a similar problem
To diagnose this you should start the car and place the voltmeter and then see the voltage. Switch on AC and headlights, the voltage should not drop below 13V.
In my case it was 13V and sometimes it would just drop below 11-10. And then again pick up. The battery guy observed the voltmeter for 5 min before this problem showed up. So you may want to check your alternator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
I replaced a perfectly working battery after seeing a similar problem
To diagnose this you should start the car and place the voltmeter and then see the voltage. Switch on AC and headlights, the voltage should not drop below 13V.
In my case it was 13V and sometimes it would just drop below 11-10. And then again pick up. The battery guy observed the voltmeter for 5 min before this problem showed up. So you may want to check your alternator.

Hi,

To add to the above please switch on all accessories lights in high beam, fog lights and music system at at least 60% volume and then check the voltage and amperes. As TSK suggested your alternator may be the culprit. In all probabilities it will be the rectifier and cut out of the alternator.

Viper

Thanks Iraghava and tsk

Iraghava I know that my ICE system is a little bit of heavy kind but I will definatily avoid to show it to the battery wala , but yaar this battery is made for this type of setup. Yesterday night I searched up for the review of the optima battery owners they had some of the similar problem I am face but they got there battery replace easily might some problem with the battery I purchased.

Tanveer I have voltmeter installed in my car and I regularly monitor it. here is a pic of the same.

When the car is idle only engine is running the volts come to 14.5 to 14.7

This is the normal I get , But when the battery died it came to 10.5 volts when the engine was not running.Also I have check the alternater by the electrician he said that it is working fine. And I have put a standby battery and the car is working fine right till now will wait for a day or two before replacing the battery and try to find out who the culprit is..........battery or any thing else......

Anyways I have given the battery to the mechanic to charge it and check it whether it is ok or dead. He will update it in the evening...

Thats an interesting gadget you got there. Can you give me some more details on it please. Like, which make is it, where did you get it from, what else does it display, price, etc.

It is a japnese product I dont remeber correctly got it for Rs 800 only. I have checked with the multimeter about the voltage readings they acurrate. rest there is clock and temperature meter also . And a very fine thing is that it gets fully set in the swift display place completely here is a clear pic of the same..

Rest of the feature u can see it here is a weblink of the same
http://db.carmate.co.jp/products/PHP...ductsID=186731

LBM I know about this battery being made specifically for heavy audio applications. But still sometimes the dealer will try to evade responsibility by pointing at faults in your car or system so it's better not to show them everything.

->People I talked to the dealer
-> he gave a number of amaron distributer
-> I talk there amaron distributer in delhi
-> he gaves us a number in madras
-> I said why would I call on std number
-> he gave me fbd local number
-> call on local number
-> he said will pick up the battery in 2-3 hours or according to plan and retrun with new battery in 2-3 working days
-> 2 hour have passed no response till now.

Will keep everyone posted how did the amron people responded.......

LBM.. If the battery was showing 10.5 volts and you are sure nothing discharged it overnight, its most likely that one of the 6 cells in the battery has died.. How old is the battery? if the battery has openable cell covers you can spot the dead cell, it will be bubbling when the engine is running.
Anyway, get it replaced under warranty.. thats the best fix.. also have your alternator checked during engine running with an ammeter in between the battery and car to ensure that the alternator is indeed supplying the charging current needed by the battery