Team-BHP - Skoda RS Brake problems
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Skoda RS Brake problems (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/14448-skoda-rs-brake-problems.html)

My brother just called me with this problem on his RS. He says that when he brakes at speeds between 40 Kmph and 60 Kmph, his brakes shudder and the steering wheel swings (slightly) from left to right continuously while braking. He also says that if he disengages the clutch at that time, the shuddering increases.
He's checked his brake pads and his rotors and the dealer says that they are OK. Any informed opinions here? He is in Banglore and the dealers I think are TAFE.

This should be a rotor warping issue due to heavy usage and I think if he had the rotors machined the problem would go away. That's what I do when I get this issue every 5000 kms.

As for the dealer take the service advisor on a test drive and demonstrate the problem to him and ask him to sort it out under warranty. He should do it since Hyundai & Honda used to do it for me uner warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyobeb
My brother just called me with this problem on his RS. He says that when he brakes at speeds between 40 Kmph and 60 Kmph, his brakes shudder and the steering wheel swings (slightly) from left to right continuously while braking. He also says that if he disengages the clutch at that time, the shuddering increases.
He's checked his brake pads and his rotors and the dealer says that they are OK. Any informed opinions here? He is in Banglore and the dealers I think are TAFE.

Hi,

How many kms has the car been driven for. I agree with Iraghava. Also check if any of the callipers are getting jammed.

Viper

I think this is normal in an RS...... My dad's RS has this shuddering too but under 'relatively' harder braking - and im sure its not the ABS..... the discs were machined... but with negligible effect. reason................... !?

I drive a Rider 1.8TPI, identical to the RS with the exception of cosmetics & wheels, and I don't have this issue.

The only time the car shudders is when I slam on the brakes hard enough to activate ABS. I feel this mostly through the brake pedal itself.

Any shuddering issues you have definitely need to be resolved, not lived with. Not being an expert on this I can't tell you much more.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. The car has done only about 10k Km. It definitely was not there before, and has started only over the 15 days.

Nothing new. Most of the Skoda cars have this problem. this usually happens after you have done some hard braking in hot conditions maybe during a long trip or so. it is defenitely the rotors having got bend.

This is usually solved by polishing the rotors in a good lathe. That is what the dealers do too but it will be back soon.

For a complete cure you need to change the rotors to good ones available like TAROX. They not only rid you of these problems but also increase braking effeciency 2 fold.

Rgds

Thanks guys. New rotors installed and brakes are as good as new. However Pete, I got my brother interested in Tarox.