Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 10:02   #196
BHPian

Re: All about Car Polishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Here are 2 other sites that I have ordered products from in the past and they might be carrying stock of what you are looking for

http://store.ultimatedetailerz.com/

https://www.detailedclean.in

full disclosure: I am not affiliated in any with the above mentioned sites
Ultimatedetailerz have a store on Amazon and I managed to get a carpro polyblock for Rs. 1000 and some change. Now, only the polish is left. Autoglym is still not in my hands, inspite of 2 reminder calls placed in the last 20 days to Anthony. Last week, around this time, he said that he has just couriered the polish and the applicator to his contact in Bangalore, but no call from there.

Wondering if I should look at some other options- need something with mild to medium rubbing properties, and something that can impart a wet glossy look to a silver car. Will be applied using elbow grease. Any recommendations?
Old 18th January 2017, 10:32   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Ultimatedetailerz have a store on Amazon and I managed to get a carpro polyblock for Rs. 1000 and some change. Now, only the polish is left. Autoglym is still not in my hands, inspite of 2 reminder calls placed in the last 20 days to Anthony. Last week, around this time, he said that he has just couriered the polish and the applicator to his contact in Bangalore, but no call from there.

Wondering if I should look at some other options- need something with mild to medium rubbing properties, and something that can impart a wet glossy look to a silver car. Will be applied using elbow grease. Any recommendations?
Autoglym SRP is not a pure polish, it is an AIO (All-In-One product) and is more of a filler than a polishing compound. Since you would be polishing with hands, I would suggest you to do a two step process (1) Polish with a compound like Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound or Medium Cut Compound (again, as you are using elbow grease, the abrading ability of the product would be much low), (2) Polish with a finishing polish, like Meg UP or use a filler like PB White Diamond Glaze which acts as a filler.

If you are looking at one step process, then you can look at Menzerna One Step Polish, which has medium cut and good finish (I have not used this, but based on what I have read).

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/collec...nt=18332871493

KK
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDS_OSP3in1.pdf (74.9 KB, 182 views)
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 16:14   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
If you are looking at one step process, then you can look at Menzerna One Step Polish, which has medium cut and good finish (I have not used this, but based on what I have read).
KK
Paytm has a handy 250ml pack. and some 18% cashback offer! Not sure if I should wait for Autoglym people to get in touch with me, or simply go ahead and purchase this instead.

One quick question- even though I would be applying the polish with hands, should I be getting any pads? or a regular sponge applicator that came along with my turtle wax is good enough?

Last edited by ajayclicks : 19th January 2017 at 16:20.
Old 19th January 2017, 17:21   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Paytm has a handy 250ml pack. and some 18% cashback offer! Not sure if I should wait for Autoglym people to get in touch with me, or simply go ahead and purchase this instead.

One quick question- even though I would be applying the polish with hands, should I be getting any pads? or a regular sponge applicator that came along with my turtle wax is good enough?
Sponge applicator is mainly for wax application, it does not cut. You can go for a Wolfgang dual use applicator, one side is used for light cutting and the other side is for wax application.

https://www.greenzcarcare.com/collec...ant=3797038277

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 17:21   #200
BHPian

Many a times, I have seen people selling some sort of polishing stuff by the high way Petrol bunks. Last week, one guy came and did some rubbing to remove some paint marks on my car and it seemed to work. But I was not fully convinced and hence didn't buy what he was selling. It was around 800 for a pack of things. Any idea whether they are genuine or just some fake stuff?
Old 19th January 2017, 17:58   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Many a times, I have seen people selling some sort of polishing stuff by the high way Petrol bunks. Last week, one guy came and did some rubbing to remove some paint marks on my car and it seemed to work. But I was not fully convinced and hence didn't buy what he was selling. It was around 800 for a pack of things. Any idea whether they are genuine or just some fake stuff?
Hi Joe. I have been duped once by the guys selling these scratch removing stuff and interior upholstery cleaner. The product which they use to give a demo is completely different from the ones they sell. The pack contains just gas and foam and nothing else.
P.S - This is my personal experience. Other users might have a different experience.
Old 20th January 2017, 14:17   #202
BHPian

Hello,

I own a new black figo 1.5. Everything is fine with the paint and overall everything looks good to the general eye. But few bad washes in the beginning to keep the car clean has made it grab a decent amount of swirls and those minute scratches. Little had i known the level of detail that must be maintained to keep a black car in top shape since i owned a silver car before and i found no issues then. Ofcourse the swirls are visible only on keen observation, under heavy sun or lighting but it does seem painful now to see them. So i would like to know what is advisable to get the swirls removed and get it back to good shape. I have considered the following products to get the car back in shape.

1. Car shampoo.(3m or something that would fit the need)
2. Wash mits and MF cloths and hand polishing pads
3. Meguiars UC for the swirls and minor scratches
4. Meguiars UP to finish
5. Duragloss 601 and 105 as sealant
6. Rinseless wash for future maintainance

Please advice on the above and any suggestions are welcome. And I will be working by hand and i would like a wet glossy finish in my car at the end of the day.
Old 20th January 2017, 14:23   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Hi Joe. I have been duped once by the guys selling these scratch removing stuff and interior upholstery cleaner. The product which they use to give a demo is completely different from the ones they sell. The pack contains just gas and foam and nothing else.
P.S - This is my personal experience. Other users might have a different experience.
Thanks Akib. Even I had the same doubt that they might be cheating.

But now the question is, what are they using when they show the demo as it seems to work. How can we find that ?
Old 20th January 2017, 15:29   #204
BHPian

Quote:

But now the question is, what are they using when they show the demo as it seems to work. How can we find that ?

Tell the guy selling you the product to give you the bottle he intends to sell you, then tell him that you will pay him after testing the product in front of him. That way you can make sure that what he's selling you is the real McCoy
Old 20th January 2017, 16:21   #205
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Joe,

There are many products that are easily available to remove the paint rub from another vehicle. I've used IPA or Isopropyl Alocohol to some more branded products. A few months back my red car kissed a white car. Though it was during parking but still good amount of paint came on the front plastic guard. I was furious on myself as it was my mistake as I could not adjudge the correct spacing. Came back home with a heavy heart and started treating the spot with IPA and cotton swab. To my happiness, most of the paint came out without harming my paint. There were some tougher spots that were not going away. And then I had to take out my bottle of Meguairs Ultimate compound. Some light rubbing with a cheap microfiber cloth and everything was back to normal

Coming back to your original question around what those guys may be using. Well it can be anything from IPA to any other chemical with good solvent like property and since their purpose is to fleece and show immediate results therefore I am assuming some strong chemical which can even damage the clear coat. Obviously it should be a cheap chemical as well.

Amazer2013 introduced us to Chrisfix videos in this thread. Here is one more from same guy on removing paint rub-ins.

Kind Regards

Vikas
Old 20th January 2017, 16:53   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Hello,

Please advice on the above and any suggestions are welcome. And I will be working by hand and i would like a wet glossy finish in my car at the end of the day.
Hi Blackbandit, The color of your car (even mine) is considered as one of the toughest to maintain from a swirl free perspective. I think you need to live with some decent amount of them. Though from time to time you can minimize them either with a DIY approach or with help from a professional detailer.

Now I see you are going to use elbow grease and therefore removal of swirls on a black car is going to be very difficult. Please do not take me incorrectly as it requires hell lot of hard work and even then swirls do not go.

Most of your list looks good to me. I would recommend you to procure a clay sponge or clay for claying step before Meguiars UC. Newer form of rubberized blocks are very good and there are multiple vendors who produce and sell them. I have one more suggestion for you. Rather Meguiars UP, go for Poorboy's blackhole which is specially meant for dark colors.

Kind Regards

Vikas

Admins: Kindly merge my back to back posts. I tried to edit my post but it seems crossed the time limit.
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 17:00   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
Hi Blackbandit, The color of your car (even mine) is considered as one of the toughest to maintain from a swirl free perspective...

Newer form of rubberized blocks are very good and there are multiple vendors who produce and sell them. I have one more suggestion for you. Rather Meguiars UP, go for Poorboy's blackhole which is specially meant for dark colors.
Thank you vikas, for your valuable suggestion. Yes I do know it's going to be hard to maintain and not an easy task. My main intention as of now it's getting it reduced to some extent atleast. And yeah I have considered claying with Ultima elastrofoam or opti eraser just forgot to add it to the list. And will look into Poorboy's black hole as well

Last edited by blackbandit : 20th January 2017 at 17:15.
Old 27th March 2018, 12:00   #208
BHPian

Hello members
I went through a lot of posts on different threads but was unable to reach a conclusion regarding my car polishing or waxing. I have a 4 month old Safari Storme white colour. I only require a polish or wax for a shine and smooth surface after shampoo wash. I dont need any compound or paint correction stuff. I wash my car weekly and everything will be done by me by hand. I want suggestions regarding polish or wax that I can apply after washing. I dont want to spend a lot on imported stuffs.
Which product is good for me, wax or polish?
Which will give me a coating so that dust can be removed by duster without scratching the paint?
For water beading properties, what procedure and stuffs are required?
Old 28th March 2018, 15:58   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Hello members
I went through a lot of posts on different threads but was unable to reach a conclusion regarding my car polishing or waxing. I have a 4 month old Safari Storme white colour...
Which will give me a coating so that dust can be removed by duster without scratching the paint?

In general, both Polish and Wax are needed to apply on a painted surface. However, you don't need to use polish on a white colour vehicle. Since it would not make any difference.

Polish: This is to bring the shine of the painted surfaces. Over the time the paint will lose its lustre. Polish is to make sure the paint on the vehicle retains the lustre or gloss.

Wax: This is to protect the painted surfaces from getting dull from UV light etc.

For polish, I use Meguiar's Ultimate polish. For wax, I have recently bought Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax. Meguiar's Ultimate products are one of the very best in the market. They are pricey but they are very good.

No matter what polish put in a white vehicle the results would not be anywhere impressive when compared to a dark colour vehicle. But for protection purpose, you can go for above Wax I mentioned. It is easier to remove and has crazy water beading properties.

There are some ceramic coating (not sure about the exact purpose though), paint protection sheets available but they are super expensive. Even if you apply very high end products, the work shop guys will water wash and rub it with dirty cloth and that will bring all the scratches. So these are not worth the money. Also paint protection transparent films tend to turn yellow over the time. So scratch free paint surface is almost impossible. You can use Meguiar's Ultimate compound to remove scratches but what you are doing here is removing a small portion of the clear coat to hide a scratch.

For removing light dusts, you can get a Jopasu duster but if you want to do it safely, you better spray quick detailer products on the painted surface and clean it with a Microfiber cloth. The problem with the Jopasu or similar duster is, the dust will cling on the strands and that could cause small hairline scratches.

Almost all the Waxes on the market will do except very cheap ones. However, the thing that differs between the products is the longevity and the ability to withstand environment pollution. Meguiar's ultimate wax has crazy beading properties. Many say Collinite 825 is also good but it is very difficult to remove this wax. Also tends to thicken and you have to merge it on a hot water to make it a liquid. If you cannot fully remove the wax, the wax present in the surface will hide the paint lustre. That defies the whole point of detailing.

Procedure:
Apply very few amount of wax on your vehicle. Best time is during afternoon and in a shade. The heat during the afternoon will dry up the wax sooner. Let it dry for 20 - 30 minutes. Remove the wax on the surface using Microfiber cloths.

For Polish, you have to apply and remove it immediately. You should not apply polish on plastics or rubber. You can find the procedure on the back of the products. Apply Polish when the painted surface is cool. You can remove dried polish using quick detailer. Spray quick detailer on the area and wipe it.

Last edited by amvj : 28th March 2018 at 16:14. Reason: Added procedure
amvj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 16:21   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Procedure:
Apply very few amount of wax on your vehicle. Best time is during afternoon and in a shade. The heat during the afternoon will dry up the wax sooner. Let it dry for 20 - 30 minutes. Remove the wax on the surface using Microfiber cloths.
Thank you for the detailed description amvj. I think my need will be fulfilled by wax rather than polish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks