Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 21:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Polishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Unlike a DA, arotary generates tremendous mount of heat and may break down the abrasives in UP upfront, leaving you with just a glaze. It means you may not be able to get any correction done with UP on rotary but it will still clean the paint. AFAIK, both UP and 205 have non diminishing abrasives and allow you to work them as long as you want to.
I'm confused...which one is right?

Quote:
The older 205 was only recomended on a rotary but they tweaked it to work with a DA also recently.
Formula of 205 has never changed. You must be confusing it with 105.
SunnyBoi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 21:43   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'm confused...which one is right?
I was in doubt too reading that comment and searched around. Maybe this would help to clear all of our doubts:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post293576

M205 as well as UP are SMAT (Super Micro Abrasives Technology) products, and I quote Mike 'With Super Micro Abrasive Technology, theoretically, because the abrasives don't break down, or more specifically because the abrasives don't break down like diminishing abrasives break down, you can stop anywhere in the buffing cycle without leaving swirls caused by the abrasives. This would tend to make SMAT products more "Bubba-Proof" with an easier or more flat learning curve.'

So - yes, I believe @pedaltothefloor is right in this context - if wrongly used, the SMAT products can break down.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th December 2013 at 21:45.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 22:06   #93
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

SMAT abrasives dont break down - hope the below link from Autogeek clears up the matter,

When in doubt - refer to the Ultimate guru - Mike Philips

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-products.html

LIke he rightly mentions - its not only the product but the application material as well - like a wool pad/cutting foam pad etc.

Disclaimer - just posting the above link to clear up the information about SMAT abrasives

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 4th December 2013 at 22:11.
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 22:21   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

A proper paint correction job should correct the difference (assuming the paint shade used is correct) Before deciding on a detailer,you can check the available reviews.
Well we would be defeating the very purpose of this thread then. The so called "Professional Detailers" in India do not add any value to the process in my opinion and are rather bogged down by finding customers or trying to venture out into selling detailing supplies. Their exposure to products is rather limited as they are extremely cost concious and do not venture out to try the better products.

DIY enthusiasts who have worked with SMAT abrasives extensively, please share your first hand experience and knowldege on them. I work mostly with diminishing abrasives and I can talk extensively about those. Good food for thought and makes for a very interesting topic to write about next. Thanks Linuxmanju for bringing this up.

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2013 at 16:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 01:20   #95
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Their exposure to products is rather limited as they are extremely cost concious and do not venture out to try the better products.

Kaushik - We will do your car DIY style and it will cost a fraction of what any run of the mill detailer will charge you. Plus we will use the products currently being used by leading detailing enthusiasts and professionals in US and UK, not some junk that is being pedalled to help fellow sellers get more business.
Detailing is still growing in india, and very rightly said very limited folks really experiment. Most people have no idea what is the difference between polish and detailing and that leads to detailers cutting down costs and also quality of material used, which gets them some customers for sure. Ex I have seen people using and recommending only APC instead of dedicated interior cleaners for high quality leather claiming that both clean!!! Once i saw that at a detailer who operates in a mall doing that to a BMW and asked, he said that's what is told to him as cheapest and best
Its good to experiment and learn new stuff and while doing on own car we can use the best brands!
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 12:09   #96
BHPian

Today is a bad day for me. Found a grayish black scratch that runs the length of the rightside ORV mirror horizontally. What is my best bet to correct it by hand?
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0? Either way, I'm going to polish after correcting the scratch.

Last edited by amazer2013 : 5th December 2013 at 12:10. Reason: Corrected grammatical mistake
Old 5th December 2013, 12:11   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi PedalToTheFloor, you mentioned scholl concepts pads are good. Can they be used with compounds other than the ones of Scholl?

Also can you list some websites from where i can order Bilt Hamber , Dodo juice products at reasonable costs including shipping?
Old 5th December 2013, 12:59   #98
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Today is a bad day for me. Found a grayish black scratch that runs the length of the rightside ORV mirror horizontally. What is my best bet to correct it by hand?
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0? Either way, I'm going to polish after correcting the scratch.
That is usually when a biker scrapes, right? If you can post a pic, will be nice.
Try least aggressive approach first even then, if does not work then go for a more aggressive one. Scratch X is lower cut than Megs UC.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:46   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Hi PedalToTheFloor, you mentioned scholl concepts pads are good. Can they be used with compounds other than the ones of Scholl?
They work best with Scholl polishes. For versatile all rounder pads, go with Chemical Guys Hex Logic Pads instead to work with any polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Also can you list some websites from where i can order Bilt Hamber , Dodo juice products at reasonable costs including shipping?
You can try the following:

http://www.detailedclean.in/

http://www.detailedclean.co.uk

http://i4detailing.co.uk/shop/car-ca...l#.UqBSq9IW0RA

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1336-cle...-by-brand.aspx

The first one is not live yet, I am not sure how soon will it go live but I have always had good experience with their UK shop. i4detailing is also very customer oriented and I think they have flat rate shipping to India for GBP10.00
I have never purchased from them though. Opie Oils also has lower shipping and carries most of BH and Dodo Juice products. They have several weekly and monthly promotions and you can use the discount code at checkout.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 5th December 2013 at 15:53.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 20:17   #100
BHPian

I just stumbled upon this thread. I have gladly subscribed to the thread and I guess it would probably take a week for me to completely digest the wealth of information posted here. Many thanks to @Pedaltothefloor for collating the details from the web and sharing here as an easy reference.

I've been looking to try the LC Kompressor pads and glad to hear that you own the entire LC range of pads. I could really use your valuable feedback here. I would like to know how does the Kompressor pads compare to Scholl concepts'. Would definitely appreciate some pics from your collection comparing these two side by side.

I was intrigued to learn about SMAT abrasives from your posts. I have only played with SONAX polish so far that apply by hands. It was really annoying to see the polish drying soon. After reading your post on SMAT, I think I should try them since you mentioned that such polishes will allow be work them as long as I want, so I don't have to worry about the polish drying up or dust. Anyways I'm biased toward DAT polishes since you have personally used them extensively and apparently they ought to be better. Please suggest some DAT polishes. Please suggest some good ones. I had good hopes on 3M but seems they are inferior and needs some skills to work with them.
kpkeerthi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 20:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
That is usually when a biker scrapes, right? If you can post a pic, will be nice.
Try least aggressive approach first even then, if does not work then go for a more aggressive one. Scratch X is lower cut than Megs UC.
Here are some pics I took with my mobile after cleaning the mirror with plain water. I have numbered the scratches for identification. I have no idea how it has happened. One of the biggest disadvantage of having to park the car outdoors :(

All about Car Polishing-dsc_0200.jpg

All about Car Polishing-dsc_0199.jpg

Scratches 1, 2 and 3 are grayish black. Looks like remnants of some other paint/dirt on the mirror.
Scratch 4 is not visible properly in the pic, but it is part of a white colored mark which looks like something has rubbed against the mirror. There are some more of these but the glare from the flash is masking it.

Please help.
Thanks

PS: Sorry for the crappy photos. There was not enough light in the parking lot.
Old 5th December 2013, 21:03   #102
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In case there is any detailed study on different types of pads which has been made over multiple uses, with different compounds, let the methodology, the testing process and the results be published over here with solid proof. of course pictures are a must. The testing process needs to be vetted as well.

This will help newbies and all alike to make a better informed decision what they can go in for and also to understand the cost/benefit ratio.

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2013 at 15:10. Reason: Removing last line which is rather inappropriate.
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 21:26   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics I took with my mobile after cleaning the mirror with plain water. I have numbered the scratches for identification. I have no idea how it has happened. One of the biggest disadvantage of having to park the car outdoors :(

Please help.
Thanks

Number 1 should most probably go.

Number 2 seems to be deep. Can you feel it with your finger nail? If you can, then it is very deep. It can be lightened with using a compound.

Number 3 looks like a shallow one. So it should also go with compounding by hand. You can just use an applicator pad.

Number 4 isnt very clear due to the flash.
Parthasarathig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 21:29   #104
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1175005

Attachment 1175004

Scratches 1, 2 and 3 are grayish black. Looks like remnants of some other paint/dirt on the mirror.
Scratch 4 is not visible properly in the pic, but it is part of a white colored mark which looks like something has rubbed against the mirror. There are some more of these but the glare from the flash is masking it.

Please help.
Thanks

1,2 3 look clearly like the rub off from a bike handle or similar but 2 will be tougher than the rest. Try what you have and see, as said go with lower aggressive approach first.These are not something that has gone deep enough to warrant a repaint so does not look that bad, 3 is not that clear though as put rightly by partha.
That said, areas like this have thin paint as it is, but with a hand polish you are not putting your paint at risk.( just to put you at ease when using something abrasive)

Last edited by mkh : 5th December 2013 at 21:45.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:22   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Number 2 seems to be deep. Can you feel it with your finger nail? If you can, then it is very deep. It can be lightened with using a compound.
Scratch No.2, though long is not deep. My finger nail doesn't fit in it. However, I can feel when I rub my finger across it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
That said, areas like this have thin paint as it is, but with a hand polish you are not putting your paint at risk.( just to put you at ease when using something abrasive)
Thanks for pointing out that this area has thin paint. This had never occurred to me.

I have a bottle of Sonax polish. Will try rubbing with it this weekend and will post the result.
Thanks

Most Viewed