Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia 1.8L DSG breakdown. Solved with fuel pump replacement

Here goes another blow in the face by Skoda and my "new" and "notorious" Octavia. The car while driving lost power. This was all of a sudden. Going further I stopped at a red light, the car just died! Tried to restart it but in vain. Tried to check the manual for some emergency tips, nothing. Help came only after two hours, yes, "thank you Skoda India for the remarkable help" two hours I was stranded on a rush hour traffic filled road guarding my car so that no one damages it, the stupid hazard triangle was also broken and then run over by a car! Ohh the misery Skoda has caused me. The car was towed and a feedback was promised in the next half n hour, its been 12 hrs, no feedback. I am not taking the delivery of the car now, till they give me in writing that if something like this happens again, I will be assisted in the next one hour at the max, and I can ask for a refund if something like this happens again. I am fed up now. Ppl pls stay away from the Octavia for now. Especially the TSI.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Here goes another blow in the face by Skoda and my "new" and "notorious" Octavia. The car while driving lost power. This was all of a sudden. Going further I stopped at a red light, the car just died! Tried to restart it but in vain. Tried to check the manual for some emergency tips, nothing. Help came only after two hours, yes, "thank you Skoda India for the remarkable help" two hours I was stranded on a rush hour traffic filled road guarding my car so that no one damages it, the stupid hazard triangle was also broken and then run over by a car! Ohh the misery Skoda has caused me. The car was towed and a feedback was promised in the next half n hour, its been 12 hrs, no feedback. I am not taking the delivery of the car now, till they give me in writing that if something like this happens again, I will be assisted in the next one hour at the max, and I can ask for a refund if something like this happens again. I am fed up now. Ppl pls stay away from the Octavia for now. Especially the TSI.
Ouch! What was the diagnosis for the sound that was emanating from your car's gear box?

Did the engine die completely or did it not slot into gear? If its the latter then it could be gear box related. If the engine died completely could it be a fuel pump failure? This, on a brand new car? Not acceptable Skoda, not acceptable at all.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here goes another blow in the face by Skoda and my "new" and "notorious" Octavia. The car while driving lost power. This was all of a sudden. Going further I stopped at a red light, the car just died! Tried to restart it but in vain. .
Man, the Skoda experience goes from bad to worse. This happening to a car that is just weeks old is ridiculous. Hope it is nothing major, and you are able to get going again soon. Keep us posted.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Ouch! What was the diagnosis for the sound that was emanating from your car's gear box? Did the engine die completely or did it not slot into gear? If its the latter then it could be gear box related. If the engine died completely could it be a fuel pump failure? This, on a brand new car? Not acceptable Skoda, not acceptable at all.
the earlier issue was solved. Faulty fuel quality led to unwanted reactions in the catalytic convertor, emitting the noise. Car was absolutely fine after that. This time the engine just wont stay on, I would turn the key, car starts, and then shuts off as if it needs CPR! Nothing wrong with the gearbox as the car is not staying on. I think the fuel pump has gone kaput.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the earlier issue was solved. Faulty fuel quality led to unwanted reactions in the catalytic convertor, emitting the noise. Car was absolutely fine after that. This time the engine just wont stay on, I would turn the key, car starts, and then shuts off as if it needs CPR! Nothing wrong with the gearbox as the car is not staying on. I think the fuel pump has gone kaput.
Adi,feel really bad mate. You gone from excitement to crazy,quicker than the octavia goes to a 100. Thank you Skoda. Looks clearly like the fuel pump. I guess Skoda needs to make their cars for indian fuel qualities rather than just plonking their cars here. Come on Skoda,we need cars built for India or maybe you can start your own petrol pumps?
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car while driving lost power. This was all of a sudden.... Ppl pls stay away from the Octavia for now. Especially the TSI.
Very sad to hear about your experience with a NEW Octavia!! Is the car so sensitive to bad petrol? Then what is the fuel filter for?? However, really rotten petrol can kill the best of the cars. I had to rejig my Santro's engine just because of bad fuel. Now I am very careful where I pump up these European's...
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Very sad to hear about your experience with a NEW Octavia!! Is the car so sensitive to bad petrol? Then what is the fuel filter for?? However, really rotten petrol can kill the best of the cars. I had to rejig my Santro's engine just because of bad fuel. Now I am very careful where I pump up these European's...
I have been using the same petrol pump since a decade now! Its the most reputed pump in the city and always there are European cars from the likes of Merc's to Rolls! If their fuel would have been faulty, it would have been highlighted. Skoda is 100% at fault here, for not adapting the car to Indian Conditions. Then they decide one fine day, to exempt the Indian VW and Skoda cars from the so called Global Recall. Its uncontrollably crazy for the loyal customers of the VW group.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its uncontrollably crazy for the loyal customers of the VW group.
Hmmm... Then its really sad, very sad that it is still a HIT or a MISS with Skoda. Quality issues cropping up on a brand new vehicle are UNFORGIVABLE. Skoda should give you a replacement.

Escalate the issues to Skoda HQ - Rahul Kulkarni, Pune (if he's still with the company) Ph: 020-30931113 email: rahul.kulkarni@skoda-auto.co.in and also try sudhir.rao@skoda-auto.co.in
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:48   #9
BHPian

Any feedback from the service centre?

Now I'm having second thoughts about my decision to get the car.
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Any feedback from the service centre? Now I'm having second thoughts about my decision to get the car.
no feedback yet. Have shot a mail to them and to Mr. Sudhir Rao.
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:20   #11

I am not sure if I should be a sigh of relief for me (booked a Jetta over an Octavia last fortnight) or if I should be concerned as I am still betting on the VAG!

This news is really troubling. And therein lies the challenge - where one part of your organisation - car reliability and after sales service is at odds with the other - marketing and branding. What a pity for what looked and felt like great car (the white TSi looked awesome in the showroom!)

Ok - excited to take delivery of my new Jetta next week! DRLs here I come!
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:02   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, if I were considering a Jetta / Octavia, I'd always pick the diesel MT. Reasons:

- Still really fast. And I do prefer the driving pleasure of an MT over AT

- No DSG nightmares

- Euro diesels are far more robust than the petrols. Fancy new-tech petrols just don't fly on Indian fuel / driving conditions. My earlier C was once in the authorised service station for 2 - 3 weeks because they couldn't solve a rough idling issue & power loss at high rpm (German engineer attending to it and all). My petrol Merc left us stranded several times by the road in 3 years / 30,000 kms. While the diesel C220 has had many issues, it's broken down on the road 1 single time in 8.5 years / 92,000 kms.

Sorry to hear about your experience, Adi. My 7 year ol' Civic standing down has yet to suffer a breakdown. Your nearly new car has absolutely no right to. This is shocking, disappointing and depressing. Just goes to show that Skoda engineers have NOT done their homework.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My 7 year ol' Civic standing down has yet to suffer a breakdown. Your nearly new car has absolutely no right to. This is shocking, disappointing and depressing. Just goes to show that Skoda engineers have NOT done their homework.
And I'm about to replace my 7 year old/92000 km yet to break down Civic with a Skoda. If only Honda launched the new Civic with a stronger rear suspension.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:27   #14
BHPian

Adi what happened with ur car is deplorable, and now I too am in a fix. Paid the full down payment part of my 1.8tsi yesterday and delivery is scheduled for thursday. Btw, how much different is 1.8tsi engine of A4 from skoda's ? Asking because I assume the engines are similar with different state of tune, but what of the fuel pump? What Adi tells us sure seems like a fuel pump issue, then why isn't this issue coming to light in audi's case? Or do they use better components?
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:44   #15
BHPian

Just when I had made up my mind to go in for the Octavia petrol after ruling out the Jetta and the Accord (which is available with a discount of close to 1.7 lacs). Finding a replacement for Honda ain't easy. Replacing my 4.5 year old city which completed 1 lac last night is proving to be a tough task.

Most Viewed