Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2006, 12:46   #16
DRC
BHPian

I think you got it almost right, but not in a car, whose coolant is empty.

Heat exchange happens from the coolant to the air in case of heater, not from engine to air directly.
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
I think you got it almost right, but not in a car, whose coolant is empty.

Heat exchange happens from the coolant to the air in case of heater, not from engine to air directly.
Yes DRC u are right and moreover if the Thermostat was closed coolant wasnt moving (in this case) and so yes the heater would not help in reducing temp, but it would still be more advisable to use the Heater in an overheating situation if u cant pullover and turn OFF the Airconditioner.
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:07   #18
BHPian

hey guys i had a problem like this in my 800 but the problem was with the fan it was not coming on when the engine heated,so i pulled over and opened the hood i didnt no of the problem earlier so i poured in some water into the coolant luckily also had a coolant bottle at hand in the car but the car was too hot so i tried to act smart and open the radiator and damn the coolant exploded on my face and started bursting out,well anyway luckily also had a cloth wid me so i covered my face the trick according to my mechanin is if the fan dont start on its own switch on the a/c the fan starts up cooling the radiator!
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
but the car was too hot so i tried to act smart and open the radiator and damn the coolant exploded on my face and started bursting out,well anyway luckily also had a cloth wid me so i covered my face
you could have acted little smarter by opening it very slowly! you should do that when opening any cap that might have pressurised gas/liquid beneath it, like petrol lid for example.

Quote:
the trick according to my mechanin is if the fan dont start on its own switch on the a/c the fan starts up cooling the radiator!
Interesting, this is probably because the radiator and AC's condenser are usually placed next to each other, and they either have separate fans or both can control a shared fan. Can somebody please confirm this?
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
... but, can't the owner demand some kind of official document detailing work done and parts replaced on waranty? What's Hyundai's policy on this?
I would imagine they should give some sort of bill with the part number replaced mentioned..... but im not sure about that.

What i am sure about, (99%) is that they have to give YOU the replaced part, ie the defective part that they switched out.

cya
R
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:58   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I would imagine they should give some sort of bill with the part number replaced mentioned..... but im not sure about that.

What i am sure about, (99%) is that they have to give YOU the replaced part, ie the defective part that they switched out.

cya
R
Hi Rehaan,

You got it the other way around. The bill is given 100% and the replaced part(warranty) is never given.

Viper
Old 23rd June 2006, 20:18   #22
BHPian

Update: Showroom changed the story once more and said that "the work is done, but we need to wash it, send it for final QC before delivery etc., so it would be ready only by Friday afternoon" ... My friend would have been able to pick up the car only late Friday evening because of our office schedule; and given his lack of confidence with the Auth. Service people now, he decided to pick up the car on Saturday morning, when he can check it out throughly before accepting delivery.

I'm really anxious to get my hands on his car now ... kind of like a crime reporter waiting for the story to break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
YES the thermostat is one such thing which if it fails to open will block coolant flow and engine will overheat.
There is no way of telling now whether the valve was really faulty. It was replaced under the warranty, so my friend didn't have to pay for it. It might have been replaced for genuine reasons, or, it might have been replaced "just in case" or out of ignorance or maybe even just to bill Hyundai Motor Co. for the labour as part of a larger scam. If the replaced part is not returned, it may be impossible to tell if it was replaced at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
the trick according to my mechanin is if the fan dont start on its own switch on the a/c the fan starts up cooling the radiator!
Nice tip! I think it may work reasonably well... but I doubt it will contribute much to cooling the radiator.

Many cars have the radiator and condensor coils offset from each other, ie. they are not one behind the other. In my Esteem, the radiator occupies the right 1/3 of the air intake gap in the bumper and the condensor coil occupies the left 2/3 (looking from the front of the car towards the back) with almost no overlap between the two. The AC condensor fan would at best blow air over the engine, not through the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I dont think so... when parts are replaced under the waranty, the faulty part needs to be sent back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will reimburse the service station for the cost of the part only if they produce the replaced part. The logical course of action after that would be the manufacturer studying the reasons for failure to prevent such losses in the future.

If you are paying for the new part, then you have every right to demand the replaced part. I always do so, 50% to see for myself that the part really needed to be replaced and 50% to make sure that somebody else does not end up getting cheated if the workshop decides to use the replaced part in their car without their knowledge!

- T u r b o C -
Old 23rd June 2006, 21:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
You got it the other way around. The bill is given 100% and the replaced part(warranty) is never given.
Sorry, didnt realise you guys were talking about work under warranty.... i guess as you said they do not give you the defective part in that case.

cya
R
Old 23rd June 2006, 21:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper

Viper
Viper is correct here - the wty parts need to be sent back to the company. In case we are doing a paid repair [out of wty], then the replaced parts would come to us.
Old 24th June 2006, 12:38   #25
BHPian

turbo c@
this thermostat is a small part and which can do many things to the cooling system either geeting it too hot or getting it below operating temperature. i too changed one recently but my problem was engine was running cold. i paid approx 430rs should be around same price and yes they should have given u the part.
but anyway since it done at the authorised dealer u should HAVE got the OEM part.
just check the head gasket as a check only to see if its leaking any oil (for that 15 km drive done by the mech).
cheers
Old 22nd April 2007, 13:43   #26
BHPian

M800 problem with thermistor valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
turbo c@
this thermostat is a small part and which can do many things to the cooling system either geeting it too hot or getting it below operating temperature. i too changed one recently but my problem was engine was running cold. i paid approx 430rs should be around same price and yes they should have given u the part.
but anyway since it done at the authorised dealer u should HAVE got the OEM part.
just check the head gasket as a check only to see if its leaking any oil (for that 15 km drive done by the mech).
cheers
Hi guys,
One of my friends has a M800 and the service center guy is saying that the thermostat valve is not working. Right now, he has removed this valve and connected the hose directly to the radiator.

Now, my question is, what is the function of this valve? The service center guy is saying that this valve is necessary only in cold conditions, not in places like Bangalore. Any inputs? What happens if we continue to use the car with out this valve?

Thanks,
Deepak
Old 22nd April 2007, 16:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Thermostat valve lets the coolant flow through the system when it senses that engine temeperature is rising more than the normal temperature and closes the flow of coolant when the temperature is falling below the normal engine temperature
In short It helps to maintain the normal operating temperature of the engine and if it is removed it will lead to the coolant flowing continiously around the engine block which will lead to the engine temperature being always less than the normal as continious heat exchange will take place and this will lead to a less efficient engine in terms of mileage and power both..
Old 22nd April 2007, 16:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

its a device which helps engine to achieve operating temperature faster by closing the flow when cold and then as temp increases it stays open
Old 22nd April 2007, 21:00   #29
BHPian

Oh ok. Thanks Humyum and Jaggu! That explains it . So, i guess it is best for my friend to get that corrected, but he can wait for a few days and still drive his car!!
Old 22nd April 2007, 21:35   #30
Team-BHP Support

yup no issues unless one is in very cold environs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks