Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Overheated Santro: Workshop talking nonsense?!

A friend of mine has had his Santro overheat (possibly due to low coolant levels) and is getting strange replies from the showroom people (where his car was serviced just last week):

It seems that he was puttering around in the Pune morning traffic when he noticed the temp gauge uncomfortably near the "H" mark. He couldn't stop at that point but he did a reasonably smart thing and slotted the car into 4th and let it idle along till he could reach a point where it was safe to stop.

Once he stopped, he popped the hood and let it cool off... but did a bad thing: He poured (cold) water all over the insides under the bonnet, including the engine block! He didn't dare to open up the radiator, but did fill the (empty) coolant tank with water.

After waiting a few minutes for the works to cool off, he re-started the engine and it was running normally and temp was "ok"... but a few minutes of driving later he noticed the temp rising again. This time is stopped the car and called up "Sanjay Hyndai" from where he bought the car. (It is just out of warranty now).

The showroom people showed up with a bottle of water and DROVE the car to their workshop at Bhopodi (about 15Km from where he stopped). Now they have given him an estimate of around 4k and have mentioned something about "head facing" ... sounds a little fishy to me! I will be going with him to the workshop THIS EVENING to see for myself... suggestions on what to look for are welcome, but make it ASAP!

I already know some of the regular stuff:
Check radiator fan working, check coolant level, check for leaks in hose, check water pump belt etc... but gimme more to look for.

I had this kind of thing happen in my Esteem some time back... turned out to be low coolant level because of a (slow) leak in my radiator... for quite some time I would just keep topping up the coolant level and the car ran fine even with the leak. (My radiator has been replaced now) ... but the point I'm trying to make is: Overheating is usually something simple, I would not expect ECM problems / shifted valve timings etc. to show up in a 1yr. old car that had been running just fine... and I dont understand how "head facing" would contribute to / solve an overheating problem.

Question:
What does "head facing" have to do with "overheating"?

If a car was overheating, was it advisable to DRIVE it to the workshop (over 15km away) ?

- T u r b o C -
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:22   #2
BANNED

Hi,

It is not possible to comment without seeing the car. Since you already know the mandatory checks please eliminate them first.

Head Facing would be required if he has blown the head gasket and or driven a distance without water causing the head to warp. In this scenario you would have to do the "head facing" or if lucky could get away by simply changing the gasket.

Viper

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd June 2006 at 11:30.
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:28   #3
BHPian

Quick reply Viper... thanx dude!

Ok... so, are there any tell-tale signs that would indicate that the head is warped or the gasket is blown?

I doubt that the owner damaged the gasket or warped the head because he was alert enough to stop the car BEFORE temp reached the "H" mark... but, I'm not sure if the smart A** people took care of that while driving the car to the worksop.

- T u r b o C -
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:52   #4
BANNED

Hi,

If you start the car with the radiator cap open and the water inside starts to bubble or thrown out after a few minutes then it means you have blown your gasket or warped the head or both.

The estimate given is OK if it includes labour to open/refit the head, coolant, new head gasket and facing charges. You could save a few hundred if you doit at a local garage but would recommend you stick to the company.

Viper
Old 22nd June 2006, 13:56   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I guess the "damage" was done while driving to the service station 15kms away. Why didn't ur friend just go fetch a bottle or two of coolent when he stopped for putting water ? Coolent is available at most of the Gas stations. Once while travelling from Ghaziabad to Northdelhi with some office stuff in an OMNI, our vehicle stalled twice in noida. My driver checked the engine and found that due to poor maintaince the coolent was over and radiator was dry. We got 2-3 bottles of chilled water and filled up the radiater and the coolent reservoir. there was no issue till we reached home in northdelhi. next day at service the driver was telling me that there was a pipe leakage and radiator needed cleaning and all. But till now the VAN works purrfectly although now its maintained better. I think you take some other opinions too
Old 22nd June 2006, 15:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
If you start the car with the radiator cap open and the water inside starts to bubble or thrown out after a few minutes then it means you have blown your gasket or warped the head or both.
Ok, will check this out in the evening... we should have a sticky section somewhere on the forum for these sorts of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Why didn't ur friend just go fetch a bottle or two of coolent when he stopped for putting water ? Coolent is available at most of the Gas stations.
Well... one doesn't really think straight when he / she is in panic mode!

In any case, the fear of being scalded by boiling coolant and the bold warning saying "Never Open When Hot" would scare away most people who had a passing thought of opening up an overheated radiator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
our vehicle stalled twice in noida. My driver checked the engine and found that due to poor maintaince the coolent was over and radiator was dry.We got 2-3 bottles of chilled water and filled up the radiater and the coolent reservoir.
That was not a very good idea... you are lucky you didn't crack the block or head! Ideally, you should just let the car stand till it cools down completely before adding any fluids to the cooling system.

If you really need to drive on, then, put in as warm water as you can find. The idea is to let the metal parts cool gradually. If you suddenly cool the hot engine, there is a high chance of cracking the block and / or head.

- T u r b o C -
Old 22nd June 2006, 16:14   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
That was not a very good idea... you are lucky you didn't crack the block or head! Ideally, you should just let the car stand till it cools down completely before adding any fluids to the cooling system.

If you really need to drive on, then, put in as warm water as you can find. The idea is to let the metal parts cool gradually. If you suddenly cool the hot engine, there is a high chance of cracking the block and / or head.

- T u r b o C -
yep you are right, it took him a while to find the water so i guess the engine did cool off.
Old 22nd June 2006, 16:34   #8
BHPian

Breaking news...

The owner just called up the workshop and was told that "Everything is ok, it was just the 'thermostatic valve' and we have replaced it under waranty." He doesn't need to pay anything and more importantly, no "unwanted surgery" will be carried out on his car's engine. He will be picking it up from the (city) showroom tomorrow... I'll post further updates when I see the car for myself.

He's relieved but (like me) all the more suspicious about the A** now!

Turns out that his car had a breakdown just last week (battery not charging) and the "rectifier" was replaced under waranty. For the whole incident he got only a bill for "Breakdown Charges" and no other documentary proof of any work done on the car... correct me if I'm wrong, but this does not seem right!

... but, can't the owner demand some kind of official document detailing work done and parts replaced on waranty? What's Hyundai's policy on this?

- T u r b o C -
Old 22nd June 2006, 17:21   #9
BANNED

Hi,

They have to provide you with a bill for everything done on the car. They are supposed to write FOC/warranty against the amount. Please insist on the same so as to create a vehicle history.

Viper
Old 22nd June 2006, 18:03   #10
BANNED

check the radiator fan ,most probably the fuse was blown ....
Old 22nd June 2006, 19:15   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000
check the radiator fan ,most probably the fuse was blown ....
Hey,

Read carefully problem is solved.

Viper
Old 22nd June 2006, 19:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
Breaking news...

The owner just called up the workshop and was told that "Everything is ok, it was just the 'thermostatic valve' and we have replaced it under waranty." He doesn't need to pay anything and more importantly, no "unwanted surgery" will be carried out on his car's engine. He will be picking it up from the (city) showroom tomorrow... I'll post further updates when I see the car for myself.

He's relieved but (like me) all the more suspicious about the A** now!

Turns out that his car had a breakdown just last week (battery not charging) and the "rectifier" was replaced under waranty. For the whole incident he got only a bill for "Breakdown Charges" and no other documentary proof of any work done on the car... correct me if I'm wrong, but this does not seem right!

... but, can't the owner demand some kind of official document detailing work done and parts replaced on waranty? What's Hyundai's policy on this?

- T u r b o C -
If the car was overheating at first it should have been towed rather than driven for a further 15 kms as this will only increase preignition and can even make minute holes in the piston. (chek with ur friend if the engine was pinging if "YES" then get it checked to avoid any engine damage to be on the safer side.)

YES the thermostat is one such thing which if it fails to open will block coolant flow and engine will overheat.

A TIP TO NOTE:
IF UR FRIENDS CAR OVERHEATS NEXT TIME THE EASIEST THING TO DO IS TO SWITCH ON THE "HEATER" (THATS RIGHT HEATER) IN THE CAR AND OPEN UP ALL WINDOWS. THIS WILL HELP TO DROP THE TEMPERATURE TILL HE CAN GET TO SIDE OF ROAD FOR ASSISTANCE.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 22nd June 2006 at 19:29.
Old 22nd June 2006, 19:50   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
A TIP TO NOTE:
IF UR FRIENDS CAR OVERHEATS NEXT TIME THE EASIEST THING TO DO IS TO SWITCH ON THE "HEATER" (THATS RIGHT HEATER) IN THE CAR AND OPEN UP ALL WINDOWS. THIS WILL HELP TO DROP THE TEMPERATURE TILL HE CAN GET TO SIDE OF ROAD FOR ASSISTANCE.
How does this work out ?
Old 22nd June 2006, 22:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
They have to provide you with a bill for everything done on the car. They are supposed to write FOC/warranty against the amount. Please insist on the same so as to create a vehicle history.
Yes, they should. Try and get it so you have a record of things in case you need that later on.
Tata does this - any wty items [parts / labor] are marked so, and not charged.
Old 22nd June 2006, 22:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
How does this work out ?
Probably the heater works by taking the heat from the engine and when the heater is working it sorts of acts like a heat exchange and allows the engine to lose some heat.

IMaybe 2fast4u can explain this a little better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks