Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 13:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Gearbox problems

I personally spoke to the person who did the scan and the issue is with the clutch only , as the outcome of the scan says.

As explained by BMW , In India we don’t have an option to change the faulty part in the transmission but the entire transmission has to be replaced.

I approached an trusted other workshop who has enough courage to identify and change the faulty part. But the issue is that after changing the faulty part in transmission we need to update the software and there are chances of getting an unhealthy update of the software which may end up a partial update of some modules. If that’s the case the car will be in ground zero again.

For a car made in 2008 if we update the software(i am not sure if they are speaking about firmware) which is updated in 2013 there are chances of different modules failing to update, which the showroom will not be taking the risk in the case of only software updating is happening (assuming that the clutch is replaced outside the showroom)

Any thoughts ?

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 9th December 2013 at 13:18. Reason: spell check done
Old 9th December 2013, 23:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I personally spoke to the person who did the scan and the issue is with the clutch only , as the outcome of the scan says.

As explained by BMW , In India we don’t have an option to change the faulty part in the transmission but the entire transmission has to be replaced.

I approached an trusted other workshop who has enough courage to identify and change the faulty part. But the issue is that after changing the faulty part in transmission we need to update the software and there are chances of getting an unhealthy update of the software which may end up a partial update of some modules. If that’s the case the car will be in ground zero again.

For a car made in 2008 if we update the software(i am not sure if they are speaking about firmware) which is updated in 2013 there are chances of different modules failing to update, which the showroom will not be taking the risk in the case of only software updating is happening (assuming that the clutch is replaced outside the showroom)

Any thoughts ?
If the workshop can source the part and change it then great. If your BMW dealer is saying they will not update the software after the outside garage changes the part then maybe try a European vendor like Bimmertech. They can do remote coding, and update the BCM modules. Do get in touch with them.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 23:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

If the workshop can source the part and change it then great. If your BMW dealer is saying they will not update the software after the outside garage changes the part then maybe try a European vendor like Bimmertech. They can do remote coding, and update the BCM modules. Do get in touch with them.
How about the hardware requirements for connecting ? Any idea on the 32 pin cable, whats it called and where do i get it to buy or use?
Old 12th December 2013, 00:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How about the hardware requirements for connecting ? Any idea on the 32 pin cable, whats it called and where do i get it to buy or use?
Check on e90post.com . It has a lot of details about the cable in the coding section. Otherwise even the vendor you contact would be able to tell you what cable to buy.
Old 12th December 2013, 07:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting to see all the comments; if it is indeed a problem of the ECU going into limp home mode, it doesn't even need to be the gear box. From what I know gear box problems on these cars are very rare. And if they do happen it's ususally a sensor or so. I'm not that familiar with these BMW's any more, but I too thought that the gear box was sealed for life. That means a proper BMW dealer will never recommend to flush it.

The only way to diagnose before jumping to conclussion is to hook it up to a proper OBDII analyzer and read the codes. Preferably use one which can read the BMW specific codes as well.

Once you know the code, chances are you will have a much better understanding of the problem at hand and the possible solution.

I thought this was an auto box? So how come there is a problem with the clutch. An auto box doesn't have a clutch. Well at least not this BMW's auto box!

Also, if you hook on an OBD analyser you can also confirm the mileage! MIght give you peace of mind, or not!
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 09:17   #21
BHPian

I really suspect the issue is a transmission failure. ECU going to Limp mode, could be because of several reasons. Check with Petes cochin or let me know if you want me to check with CODE6 Tuning if there is any plan for a cochin tuning camp in pipeline.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 12th December 2013 at 09:19.
Old 12th December 2013, 09:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I really suspect the issue is a transmission failure. ECU going to Limp mode, could be because of several reasons. Check with Petes cochin or let me know if you want me to check with CODE6 Tuning if there is any plan for a cochin tuning camp in pipeline.
Could be as simple as a lpriblem with the MAF sensor, leaking idle valve etc etc. there is a whole host of problems that manifest itself as the car going into limp home mode but have nothing to do with the gearbox and or transmission. Check out the better BMW forums the world over.

Without (BMW specific) codes it remains guessing
Jeroen
Old 13th December 2013, 07:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I checked the OBD tables and there are various "clutch" related codes.

P0805 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit
P0806 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0807 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit Low
P0808 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit High
P0809 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0810 Clutch Position Control Error
P0811 Excessive Clutch Slippage

The first six are all sensor related. The last one P0811 looks different, however when you look up the meaning:

P0811 Excessive Clutch Slippage
Possible causes
- Faulty Clutch Position Sensor
- Clutch Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Clutch Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Again, these are simple things to fix.

If I were you I would check with that person that told you it is the clutch what code he saw. If he saw P0811 its a simple problem. I'm still not sure how these codes relate to an automatic box, but when I look at all the BMW codes related to clutch this is what I can find. (Other than AC clutch which has a few codes as well, but obviously nothing to do with this particular problem)

Good luck with this problem, I wouldn't give up or start replacing anything until I have to code and can verify myself.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 13th December 2013 at 07:29.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 18:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Foby.Sebastian - I think Jeroen is right. Try and get the exact code before taking things further. Even an independant garage like Petes should be able to scan the car and give you the fault code.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 14:51   #25
Team-BHP Support

I think the dealer saying cant update the firmware is total bull. Even if a sensor or a major part is changed with oe spec ones, only a reset of parameters is needed. No need to update it.

Did you email BMW and have they responded?
Old 16th December 2013, 16:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think the dealer saying cant update the firmware is total bull. Even if a sensor or a major part is changed with oe spec ones, only a reset of parameters is needed. No need to update it.

Did you email BMW and have they responded?
As the owner is out of country for a couple of weeks we are holding to escalate the issue till last of December.

Update :- He also booked a brand new trusted work horse which is now a bit over priced, a brand new Innova Gx. planning to take delivery after the return.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
BMW 320d
Innova Gx.
Downgrade? Kidneys to urine bladder kinda
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 19:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Downgrade? Kidneys to urine bladder kinda
Intrim upgradation of his existing Innova to a brand new one. The Kidneys are shattered and resting in the backyard.

Totally fedup with German premium.

I agree that the Germans sell futuristic cars with heavy eletronics, but atleast BMW should make sure that they sells the parts to maitain it.

Thought of changing the gearbox from showroom it self but the process is hectic. Pay the full amount for the component, indefnitely wait for the component to arrive(may be 3 months) fix it and do the software part. The risk of other software components failing/crashing is not avoidable in this case too.

Working out better options now
Old 4th February 2014, 08:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good news.

At last ventured in to opening up the gearbox and finding out the root cause at a well known forigen car workshop in Thrissur.

The issue was with the wornout clutch, waited for some time part arrived from gulf, fixed it and sold it !

The workshop people claims this is the 3rd bimmer which they fixed the same issue.

They are also currentely in the process of rebuilding the Totalled Bently CFS.

Since the car is sold consider this thread as closed.

The End !

BMW need to study more about Indian Customers in After Sales and Service area.
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 10:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good news.

At last ventured in to opening up the gearbox and finding out the root cause at a well known forigen car workshop in Thrissur.

The issue was with the wornout clutch, waited for some time part arrived from gulf, fixed it and sold it !

The workshop people claims this is the 3rd bimmer which they fixed the same issue.

They are also currentely in the process of rebuilding the Totalled Bently CFS.

Since the car is sold consider this thread as closed.

The End !

BMW need to study more about Indian Customers in After Sales and Service area.
It would be beneficial for a prospective BMW owners (aspirational one) to know what was the expenditure in this (compared to the 6 lacs quoted by the dealer).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks