Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2014, 11:53   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 320d: Gearbox problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
The issue was with the wornout clutch, waited for some time part arrived from gulf, fixed it and sold it !

Thanks for the update, errr, I thought BMW's had torque convertors and not clutches in their transmissions. Can someone please clarify?
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 12:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Thanks for the update, errr, I thought BMW's had torque convertors and not clutches in their transmissions. Can someone please clarify?
Sir , I haven't seen the particular part in person. As explained by my cousin it ressembles a metal plate with a hole in between with approximately 2 cm width procured from Dubai. Approximately costed 64,000 INR.

As explained by the workshop person to my cousin the slip was in 5th gear and it was rectified and updated. The workshop people also showed the burned part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
It would be beneficial for a prospective BMW owners (aspirational one) to know what was the expenditure in this (compared to the 6 lacs quoted by the dealer).
The total bill was 104000 INR

Also did a 120 kilometers testdrive in NH 47 before selling it. The workshop bill and all other details are with the new owner as he is aware about the work done.
foby.sebastian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:

As explained by the workshop person to my cousin the slip was in 5th gear and it was rectified and updated. The workshop people also showed the burned part.
Can you please share the workshop address/details for the general benefit of Beemer owners, it is always better to have a second opinion as well as second option for those costly parts.
Old 26th July 2014, 13:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Some torque convertors (TC) use a lock up clutch to avoid power wastage associated with fluid coupling. Above a certain speed the impeller and turbine (think input and output shafts of the TC) are physically locked using this clutch to improve power and fuel efficiency.

Without this, the output shaft would usually spin slower than the input, just like in a manual when you are slipping the clutch.
Old 9th December 2014, 01:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Good news.

At last ventured in to opening up the gearbox and finding out the root cause at a well known forigen car workshop in Thrissur.

Which was the garage?
Mustang , Skillmech or some other?

But owning a BMW is always a pleasure except for these!

Most Viewed