Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2006, 05:51   #1
BANNED

Why so much fuss about the "Metallic" Colours ?

Nowadays most people are going after the Metallic colours. Infact, in a penny conscious market like India, this is the state of affairs. Except the White, every colour is "metallic" thsese days and the dealers are charging a cool 2000-3000 more for this.

Before the arrival of the metallic colours most of the cars had the normal enamel paints and a layer of clearcoat on top of that. Even in the case of Ambis which always needed the diet of patch work(in some cases every year); since they never had the bodies which were chemically treated (like the modern cars), the old paints lasted for long without any chipping/peeling.

I've seen new metallic cars having blistering/chipping/peeling of paints. And the metallic colours are not able to withstand even hairline scratches.

Other than the metallic lustre is there any advantages for the metallic colours ?

So is it really worth to go blindly after the metallic colours ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th June 2006 at 06:29.
Old 24th June 2006, 08:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
every colour is "metallic" thsese days
Not exactly. You still get clean white/black/red/pale green etc.
Quote:
Before the arrival of the metallic colours most of the cars had the normal enamel paints and a layer of clearcoat on top of that.
Correction. Auto paint is not enamel or synthetic enamel. It’s always been Nitro Cellulose base paint commonly known as NC paint. There was no clear coat before the introduction of new generation 2K paint. Clear coat is only a protection with lusture.
Quote:
Even in the case of Ambis which always needed the diet of patch work(in some cases every year); since they never had the bodies which were chemically treated (like the modern cars), the old paints lasted for long without any chipping/peeling.
Ambassador needed paint patchwork because of rusting due to moisture/water. Essentially the doors bottom panels. Also one other area is rear luggage boot frame, right below the rear windshield curve. Almost all Ambassadors on road carry paint cracks there. This is again due to factory done welding to merge slanted roof panel to boot frame. It’s not one piece steel sheet pressed out of a die. Like many other areas, this was/is the weakest part of Ambassador’s design.
Quote:
I've seen new metallic cars having blistering/chipping/peeling of paints. And the metallic colours are not able to withstand even hairline scratches.
These have nothing to do with the metallic or non-metallic paint. Main problem with metallic paint is touch up painting. Seldom it matches with the original colour.
Quote:
Other than the metallic lustre is there any advantages for the metallic colours ?
Metallic paint is suppose to be new generation composition/technology. Whatever it means and whatever is the result.
For additional protection Mercedes Benz is using ceramic coating over paint for scratch/swirl marks protection. It’s for their expensive range of cars. But I’ve seen fine surface swirl marks there. On Maybach, to be precise.
Quote:
So is it really worth to go blindly after the metallic colours ?
Individual’s choice, if you ask. Apart from that, one gets a better choice of shades in metallic paint range.
Rudra Sen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2006, 09:28   #3
BHPian

very neatly explained by Rudra.
thanx for the enlightenment!

also, in India atleast, more costlier the thing is, more popular it is!
sounds perplexing? but thats how we all grew up! isn't it?!
Old 24th June 2006, 20:36   #4
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Correction. Auto paint is not enamel or synthetic enamel. It’s always been Nitro Cellulose base paint commonly known as NC paint. There was no clear coat before the introduction of new generation 2K paint. Clear coat is only a protection with lusture.

A little more info on 2k. Its the top most quality of paints from ICI the makers of DUCO brand of paint, a name so popular that for a common man all NC paints are called DUCO. 2k is Poly-urethane (PU) paints and are resistant to most acid of 50% concentration and salts. They need very good pre-treatment like degreasing, phosphating, etch primer, surfacer before the final coat of actual shade is sprayed. Its fumes are very harmful to health and abundant precaution needs to be taken while working with them. Most important is a chemical face mask. It needs to be done in a paint Booth which is slightly pressurised to keep the dust away while spraying. Its a static paint, which means that it attracts dust like a magnet. The compressor supplying the air to the Gun should have good moisture and oil filters. All these facilities are not available with most dealers leave alone road-side garages. Thats why you see those blisters which are an outcome of poor technology used while working.

The adavntage of these PU paints are that they have a very high degree of surface hadness unlike cheap paints. They come in 2 separate containers, the base and the Hardener. Once mixed the paint should be utilized within a couple of hours. Since they are salt-resistant there are mainly used to paint the under portion of all ships and Ocean liners. There most important characteristic is that they are Ultra Violet (UV) protected therefore do not fade easily. The final coat of PU Clear Gloosy gives you the ultimate finish.

They cost about 2K a litre and some shades are as high as 15K. No wonder that you pay 2 or 3K more for your car and I think its worth it. No 2 way about it.

So long....

Last edited by varunroy : 24th June 2006 at 20:37.
varunroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:15   #5
BANNED

When I was checking the prices of Ritz, I found that there is no price difference b/w Metallic & Non-Metallic colours. Previously, there was a difference of a few thousands b/w Metallic & Non-Metallic colours.

What's the reason behind this ?

Last edited by mithun : 3rd January 2010 at 16:17.
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Infact its the opposite. My OHC has many minor scratches but even if you stand 3 feet from the car, you wont notice them.

Metallic colours are very good at hiding scrathes.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 3rd January 2010 at 19:53.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:20   #7
BHPian

Re: Why so much fuss about the "Metallic" Colours ?

Exterior care like Waxing,Polishing etc for non metallic painted vehicles are taken up using the conventional products. However,it is not clear if we can use them for Metallic painted vehicles also. Or, are there any specific products? Kindly clarify.
Thanks.
Old 4th August 2014, 16:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Infact its the opposite. My OHC has many minor scratches but even if you stand 3 feet from the car, you wont notice them.

Metallic colours are very good at hiding scrathes.

Shan2nu
The clear coat which is applied over the actual paint acts like a hardener. Also adds shine to the paint. This hard coat of clear helps in preserving the paint and resists a lot of scratches. At times, I am amazed that rubbing the scratched area sometimes removes the entire scratch. This is only possible because of the clear coat.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Exterior care like Waxing,Polishing etc for non metallic painted vehicles are taken up using the conventional products. However,it is not clear if we can use them for Metallic painted vehicles also. Or, are there any specific products? Kindly clarify.
Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, irrespective of whether its metallic or non metallic upper layer is a clear coat nowadays. Most detailing products ( Like waxes, sealants and Polishes as such ) are formulated for clear coats. So it doesn't really matter if its a metallic or non metallic paint underneath.

Visually, sealants do a great job of bringing out flakes from metallic colors and waxes add depth to non metallic colors like solid red for eg. Again that's my personal opinion. I have seen even waxes bringing out nice flakes nowadays. So it's quite subjective.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks