Team-BHP - Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/145323-bodywork-painting-m-motors-borivali-mumbai-edit-now-closed.html)

A. M. Motors (Sikkens Rapid Repair)

Services offered:
What I like:
What don't I like:
What services I have got done from him:
How much did it cost:
Note: The charges are structured as per the size of the car.

Contact Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is my first thread, so please forgive me if you come across any mistakes.

This is the story of my angel getting a cosmetic surgery.
(Here 'Angel' refers to my 2007 Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo Vxi)

It's nearly been a year, when my Angel came home. The parking space that I was allotted was a bit awkward; to get out of the slot, I was bound to make a couple of tries reversing, making the car straight and get out head first. It was difficult just because there is this building wall too close at the rear while reversing. The ground floor residents have grills fitted to their window, and on one fine night, while taking my angel out overlooked the grill in the left ORVM, and BANG! The grill poked the metal in! :Frustrati

That hurts!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_104604.jpg

Then a few months later, I had parked my Angel outside a restaurant. Now, I have this habit of looking at her in intervals; I just can't take my eyes off this beauty! So, I take my seat at the restaurant and just to have a glimpse of my Angel, I peep out of the window! And to my horror, I could not believe what I saw! Someone had hit the left rear door and ran away! Leaving a dent on the door! :Frustrati

DAMN!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20130910_121559.jpg

It didn't look nice and it would hurt me every single time I saw those uneven spots! There was one more minor dent on the boot door lip. So, I decided to take her to a cosmetician.

I had done my under-body Anti-Rust Treatment at 3M Car Care, Borivali and they where suggesting me to go for a Paint Sealant Treatment too. I told the guy that I wanted to get the dents fixed first; then I shall consider about going for the Paint Sealant. He told me they have a workshop for body repairs nearby and gave me the contact details of the guy.

The Workshop :
A. M. Motors
(Sikkens Rapid Repair)

The 'Guy' :
Mr. Shashikant Palekar
(Branch Head)

So, the story begins!
I call up Mr. Shashikant and ask if I can bring my car to the workshop. He happily agrees. I take my car to the workshop, Mr. Shashi examines my Angel's injuries and tell me that it can be fixed, in A DAY! Well, that's fast!
This was in the season of rains, and I thought it would be wise not do any paint job in such wet conditions. Again, I had to take my Angel to my native in Konkan for Ganeshotsav Festival. This was going to be my first longest drive, so if I get some more scars, they would be taken off at once!

I returned back safely without any more scars on my Angel and it was time to take the dents off! So, on one fine Sunday morning, I call up Mr. Shashi to take an appointment. As I called him early in the morning, I got the appointment and was asked to be at the workshop by 11, with my Angel of course!

I wanted to post this story on TBHP, so got permissions for clicking photographs of the process and Mr. Shashikant happily agreed.
From here on wards, i'll let the pictures do the talking!

A. M. Motors workshop is located in Gorai, Borivali
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_105952.jpg

The rear with the scars; The workshop and the staff seems pretty professional, unlike the local garages
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_110020.jpg

The de-badging work was started
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_110219.jpg

While removing the side trim molding, the dent got pulled off! I showed this to Mr. Shashikant and he suggested to go with the denting (removal) work as it still had unevenness. I showed him the green signal as I needed perfection.
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_110630.jpg

Sanding being done at the dent areas
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_110915.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112031.jpg

Here comes the Hero!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112357.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112402.jpg

Leveling an un-even spot
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112541.jpg

Attaching the magnet
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112816.jpg

Pulling the dent
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112855.jpg

Here is how it works. The point of the rod sticks to the surface due excessive heat, and the rod has a forward-backward movable handle, which on pulling with force, pulls out the dent.
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_112953.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_113130.jpg

Notice the pointed protrusions due to melted metal on the boot door
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_113511.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_114119.jpg

Again, sanding the protrusions
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_114431.jpg

An dent at the edge. Good attention to detail!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_114543.jpg

Sanding the area around
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_115753.jpg

The body filler (putty) from 3M
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_120830.jpg

Leveling with the filler
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_120933.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_121331.jpg

Another smooth body filler for finishing
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_121948.jpg

After filling the filler
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_135610.jpg

Sanding..again!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_123514.jpg

Inspecting imperfections
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_123708.jpg

Sanding to perfection
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_141451.jpg

Sanding the whole door
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_142330.jpg

Cleaning and making it ready for the next step, Primer!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_142709.jpg

Dressing my Angel
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_143024.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_143600.jpg

Confusion!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_144407.jpg

And..more confusion!!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_144515.jpg

Putting on a coat of primer
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_144715.jpg

Primer. Check!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_145403.jpg

De-badged rear, good or ugly? Ergh! I'll put them on!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_150134.jpg

In the meanwhile, the other guy started preparing the color. The color on the RC Book states 'P Silver' and now it matches with 'R Silver'. I believe it must have changed a bit over time.

Just peeped into the laboratory to check out how he's doing and I see this! :Shockked:
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_151029.jpg
Each of the container connects to a rotary fitting at the top of each container position, which rotates and in turn mixes the liquid inside and prevents it from settling and hardening! Great thing!

The mixing part. Was surprised to know there's also some red going in for the perfect shade!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_153142.jpg

Perfect!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_153430.jpg

Sanding with water and zero number sand paper
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_152607.jpg

Are you ready?!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_155912.jpg

No. Some more imperfections! Good Attention to detail, must say!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_160527.jpg

Wiping the surface with a glue cloth, which takes out all minute dust particles.
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_160922.jpg

Testing..1..2..3..
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_161200.jpg

At last, the paint!
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_161534.jpg

Shine coat
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_162856.jpg

The painted surface was exposed to infrared, which heats the metal and seals the paint! It also dries off the paint quickly.
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_163522.jpg

Voila! :D
Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_170834.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131117_170900.jpg

The job done was flawless! That too in just 7 hours! And also the bill did not burn a hole in my pocket (total bill = INR 5500)! Great job done by the fellows out there!

I was eagerly waiting for getting this job done, so that I could get the LTD sticker stuck on my Angel! I also changed the number plates to new ones with the font I always wanted! Check out my Angel after all the cosmetics!

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131123_134803_1.jpg

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-img_20131123_134913_1.jpg

Thank you!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Team-BHP Directory. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantdlv (Post 3314574)
The job done was flawless! That too in just 7 hours! And also the bill did not burn a hole in my pocket! Great job done by the fellows out there!

How much did it cost ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 3317140)
How much did it cost ?

I have mentioned it in the summary, here it is for you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantdlv (Post 3314406)
How much did it cost:
  • The total bill amount was settled to INR5500
Note: The charges are structured as per the size of the car.

Hi Nishant,

Very different and faster than the conventional method also economical too.

A couple of questions, is this an established procedure? It had taken Spectra to do the scratch repair in the third quarter of my swift about 5 to 6 days!! despite that bubbles had come up!

Is the painting done on the whole surface or only on the impacted area causing the impact on economics?

My Honda City's bonnet got scratched when somebody had thrown a stone causing an embarrassing visible mark! I am not getting that done with the concern of the bubbles that can possibly appear even with Honda service itself! Also, the cost of getting that done (not clear how much) is holding me back!!

thanks and regards,
Narayanan

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantdlv (Post 3314574)
Dressing my Angel
Attachment 1176049

Hi,dear sir I just spoke to Shashi and told him about my Alto K10,boot,bonnet,both bumpers,and painting the all 4 door handles,both wing mirrors,tail gate no.plate light cover etc, I have told him about your car,I am going to him on Saturday..Thanks a million for the information .Regards..Rubb Rakhaa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NVI2112 (Post 3344458)
A couple of questions, is this an established procedure? It had taken Spectra to do the scratch repair in the third quarter of my swift about 5 to 6 days!! despite that bubbles had come up!

Yes, it is pretty much an established procedure. They are specialized in bodywork, maybe that is the reason why they are quick, and of course the workmanship and the equipment used (Not aware what equipment spectra uses). The products like the filler and the paint are also of good quality. :thumbs up

Quote:

Is the painting done on the whole surface or only on the impacted area causing the impact on economics?

Yes. The painting is done on the whole surface (In your case, the whole bonnet surface)

Quote:

My Honda City's bonnet got scratched when somebody had thrown a stone causing an embarrassing visible mark! I am not getting that done with the concern of the bubbles that can possibly appear even with Honda service itself! Also, the cost of getting that done (not clear how much) is holding me back!!

I can surely understand the feeling Narayanan! You can anytime contact Mr. Shashi or have a visit to his workshop and check out the work before taking a decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI (Post 3344507)
Hi,dear sir I just spoke to Shashi and told him about my Alto K10,boot,bonnet,both bumpers,and painting the all 4 door handles,both wing mirrors,tail gate no.plate light cover etc, I have told him about your car,I am going to him on Saturday..Thanks a million for the information .Regards..Rubb Rakhaa

All the best IQBAL! Do let us know about your experience. Hope you have a good one.

P.S. Don't call me Sir lol:

looks quite professional from your photographs, need to try that placefor some scratch removals on my 2012 Waggy! could you please provide the directions to reach this place !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieseltuned (Post 3344819)
looks quite professional from your photographs, need to try that placefor some scratch removals on my 2012 Waggy! could you please provide the directions to reach this place !

Bodywork & Painting - A. M. Motors (Borivali, Mumbai). EDIT: Now closed-map.jpg
Catch the L.T. Road which comes straight from Borivali station to Gorai, turn left after Gorai Depot (On RHS), continue straight for about < a kilometer, you'll come across a small bridge over a river, just after the bridge ends, the workshop is on the RHS across the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI (Post 3344507)
Hi,dear sir I just spoke to Shashi and told him about my Alto K10,boot,bonnet,both bumpers,and painting the all 4 door handles,both wing mirrors,tail gate no.plate light cover etc, I have told him about your car,I am going to him on Saturday..Thanks a million for the information .Regards..Rubb Rakhaa.

Hi Iqbal,

Did your car get done? He had told me he will call me up on thursday. Waiting for his call. Please do update with your results, if already done.

Regards,
Narayanan

Hey Iqbal, Narayanan! Any updates on your experience?

Hi Nishant,

I got my bonnet done. They got a proper match. Though cost difference is not so much, the time factor really helped. Dropped it in at around 11:30 and around 4 PM got call to pick it up. So there was no impact on the daily routine. Definetly this helps.

Cost me Rs.4101/- (Was quoted Rs.6500/- at Solitaire Honda with 2 days waiting time).

Thanks again Nishant.

Regards,
Narayanan

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishantdlv (Post 3358612)
Hey Iqbal, Narayanan! Any updates on your experience?

Hi Nishant

I have got a serious dent on my Swift DZire. The tempo in front of me backed a lot in traffic due to an incline. Any idea if such work should go to Mr. Palekar or should I just get it done at Spectra and claim insurance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover (Post 3449218)
Hi Nishant

I have got a serious dent on my Swift DZire. The tempo in front of me backed a lot in traffic due to an incline. Any idea if such work should go to Mr. Palekar or should I just get it done at Spectra and claim insurance?

Feel sorry for the accident mate.

The thing is Mr. Palekar does a great job at a reasonably lower price; you can even claim your insurance, but there are some restrictions like it depends your DZire's insurance is from which company and it won't be cashless. You will get the cheque of the repair amount from the insurance company in 4-5 days.

I would recommend you to have a word with Mr. Palekar, get the quote and all the insurance related queries clarified. Also, do get a quote from Spectra, that will be helpful in taking the decision.

Do keep us updated, that will benefit others too. :)

Regards,
Nishant D.