Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:58   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Does Shell have any equivalent of Mobil Delvac 1 for sale in India?
Shell Helix Ultra Synthetic is the closest i think.

Quote:
5W-40 Viscosity grade. API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB Approval 229.5; VW 502 00/505 00.; Porsche A40; RN0700; RN0710; Ferrari; Meets the requirements of FIAT 9.55535-Z2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Is there any advantage price wise!?
Apart from coupon, you get to pay for it in EMI
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:09   #17
BHPian

I bought Shell Helix Ultra 4 Ltr. can for 3500 from J.K Automobiles, J.C road, Bangalore. At 5K its too expensive. Even Shell fuel outlets sells them on MRP which is 4508 INR. What is the point in quoting higher price and giving 10% discount. However you buy the oli, question of if it is genuine is always there
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Any diesel engine oil that is CI+ compliant ?
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Any diesel engine oil that is CI+ compliant ?
From the Shell range, it's Shell Rimula R4:

http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...rimula-r4.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 00:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Shell is has started selling their lubricants for automotive application online in association with Snapdeal in India. At present the services are restricted to the following locations:[list]
]
I guess Snapdeal has shut down SHELL sales. In Engine Oils Category, I could find only OWS brand online.
Old 17th February 2015, 00:17   #21
BHPian

I do see Shell Helix 5w-40 grade on Snapdeal but it shows out of stock! Other than this, there is Vicky.in (India's no.1 car and bike shop is their punchline) that is selling all Shell oils.

I did change from mineral to synthetic oil at Shell Pump, hinjewadi, Pune. They have the best of equipment and I was glad to see how the car was lifted for oil change. However, just a word of caution.

If your car has underbelly protection or splash guard, the mechanics at their bunks may face issues. At the Hinjewadi centre, I was stuck for a good 2 hours due to this and had to consult with Fiat Roadside Assistance for the same. To add to this, I was on my way to Thane right after this change and the underbelly drifting the ground at 80 kmph because of 2 loose nuts was quite a scary thought! They were good at operating Hyundai and Marutis but Fiat was a big problem for them due to the underbelly protection and the nut arrangement.

So, I did not go for the engine flush but changed from mineral to synthetic as a normal oil change. They did ensure a gap of 15 minutes while doing so. The mechanic advised that petrol cars do not have to bother with this. (And I don't buy that but did this purely out of time scarcity).

Instead, I went for oil filter change only in the next 3-4 days at SkyMotoFiat at Akurdi.
Old 21st February 2015, 09:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

Snapdeal is stocking only the Ultra Helix 5W 40 right now. Amazon OTOH, has a lot more Shell engine oils being offered:

Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online-shell_amazon.png

Shell - Amazon India
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Shell Helix Engine Warranty

In June 2015, Shell lubricants launched engine warranty program for customers using Shell helix ultra and Shell helix hx7 engine oils. Shell Helix Ultra offers 15 years/up to 180,000 kms lifetime engine warranty and Shell Helix HX7 offers a limited period warranty of 5 years/up to 180,000 kms.

Eligibility criteria for enrolling in the program

For Hatchback Cars: Up to 8 years or 60,000 km (begins at vehicle manufacture date) whichever is first.

For Sedan Cars, Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) car and Multi-Utility Vehicle (MUV) cars: Up to 8 years or 80,000 km (begins at vehicle manufacture date) whichever is first. Only private vehicles can enroll in this programme.

What You Do as Part of the Lifetime Engine Warranty Program:

Purchase and use SHELL Helix Ultra/Shell Helix HX7 motor oil of viscosity grade that is appropriate for your vehicle as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.Enroll online at www.shell.com/warranty. Keep the original bills of the engine oil and proof from service centre that engine oil used was shell helix hx7/ultra. Replace your vehicle's air filter and air cleaner element at least as often as your vehicle manufacturer recommends, and maintain your vehicle's emission control system in accordance with your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.Follow all scheduled engine maintenance recommendations by the vehicle manufacturer.Update your oil change records online at least once every 12 months or after an oil change (whichever is first), on www.shell.com/warranty so you can maintain your coverage.

Warranty will cease once vehicles complete their lifetime as defined below:

1) For Hatchback Cars: Up to 15 years or 100,000 km (begins at vehicle manufacture date) whichever is first.

2) For Sedan, SUV and MUV Cars: Up to 15 years or 180,000 km (begins at vehicle manufacture date) whichever is first.
Warranty starts 30 days or 1000 Km run (whichever is later) after enrollment. No claims can be raised during the period between enrollment and reaching this threshold.

All the below engine parts serviced by lubricants are covered under Lifetime Engine Warranty:
Crankshaft
Big end and main bearings
Connected rod
Gudgeon pin
Piston and piston rings
Valves
Engine block
Cylinder head
Gear & Chains
Camshaft
Cam followers
Bore / liner
Turbocharger

This Lifetime Engine Warranty does not cover claims that result from (1) pre-existing conditions (which may be verified through an oil spectrochemical analysis), (2) collision, negligence or intentional abuse, (3) improper service or maintenance, (4) defect in manufacture of Listed Engine Parts, or caused by parts that are not Listed Engine Parts, (5) improper installation of any part, or (6) failure to maintain engine oil or engine coolant at levels prescribed by the manufacturer and (7) as a result of 3-rd party impact. This Lifetime Engine Warranty also does not cover any consequential or incidental damages or courtesy car during the claim process.

The following claims are specifically excluded: (1) Excess oil consumption: Loss of oil due to excessive consumption of engine oil by the vehicle due to pre-existing wear and tear or leakages in the vehicle, (2) Insufficient engine oil in the vehicle or contamination of engine oil with external elements like coolant and fuel (3) Air filter system, coolant system or electronic control module malfunction and failure of fuel, oil or coolant pumps .

In case of an engine work due to lubrication failure Shell will pay a maximum of 1,00,000 Rs in case of shell helix ultra users and 50,000 Rs in case of Shell helix hx7 users. Shell will inspect your vehicle in workshops having a tie up with them. Engine work can only be done at Shell authorized workshops. I called up shell engine warranty helpline but they are not providing the details of the workshops they are having tie ups with.

The complete terms and conditions can be read at this link https://warranty.shell.com/helix/in#termsAndConditions

Last edited by Eddy : 26th August 2015 at 11:00. Reason: Spacing
fireblade007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 10:58   #24
Team-BHP Support

Re: Shell Helix Engine Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
This Lifetime Engine Warranty does not cover claims that result from (1) pre-existing conditions (which may be verified through an oil spectrochemical analysis), (2) collision, negligence or intentional abuse, (3) improper service or maintenance, (4) defect in manufacture of Listed Engine Parts, or caused by parts that are not Listed Engine Parts, (5) improper installation of any part, or (6) failure to maintain engine oil or engine coolant at levels prescribed by the manufacturer and (7) as a result of 3-rd party impact. This Lifetime Engine Warranty also does not cover any consequential or incidental damages or courtesy car during the claim process.
The following claims are specifically excluded: (1) Excess oil consumption: Loss of oil due to excessive consumption of engine oil by the vehicle due to pre-existing wear and tear or leakages in the vehicle, (2) Insufficient engine oil in the vehicle or contamination of engine oil with external elements like coolant and fuel (3) Air filter system, coolant system or electronic control module malfunction and failure of fuel, oil or coolant pumps .
This looks like a pure marketing ploy with enough "terms & conditions" and "exclusions" to wriggle out of claims, if any.
Eddy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 20:53   #25
BHPian

This is not Shell specific, but what have been the experience of people buying lubes online?

I see that the prices are mostly what you can get at shops on bargaining, i.e. ~5-10% discount. I wonder what is the advantage of buying online....

Got some targeted offers on lubes too, probably because I look at a lot of car stuff at Amazon / Flipkart.
Old 16th November 2015, 14:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
This is not Shell specific, but what have been the experience of people buying lubes online?

I see that the prices are mostly what you can get at shops on bargaining, i.e. ~5-10% discount. I wonder what is the advantage of buying online....

Got some targeted offers on lubes too, probably because I look at a lot of car stuff at Amazon / Flipkart.
Did you check Diwali sale recently in Amazon. I got Shell 5w-40 for Rs.3199 in their Diwali special offer.

Price has gone up though. The reason why many people are finding huge price difference between Shell bunks and Retailers is that Retailers get it in huge bulks. I mean HUGE. They usually source them for garages and service stations, hence per unit cost goes down.

But in bunks, its limited stock. Though with all logical thoughts bunks should be encouraging by giving better discounts and offers than retailers, but bunks themselves are run by agencies or individuals. So, their profit margins are higher than retailers.

I will buy from whole sale or godown's rather than bunks any day.
Old 28th February 2016, 21:43   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Did you check Diwali sale recently in Amazon. I got Shell 5w-40 for Rs.3199 in their Diwali special offer.

I will buy from whole sale or godown's rather than bunks any day.
The Shell bunk at Porur, Chennai is charging Rs 5200 for a 4 L can of Shell 5W40 ultra. No discounts and freebies.
The Amazon price is 3175. What worries me is the well known adulteration of lubricants. Also, amazon has a no return policy on oils.
How can I be sure that I am not being penny wise and Many pounds foolish ?
Any advice ?
Old 28th February 2016, 22:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
The Shell bunk at Porur, Chennai is charging Rs 5200 for a 4 L can of Shell 5W40 ultra. No discounts and freebies.
The Amazon price is 3175. What worries me is the well known adulteration of lubricants. Also, amazon has a no return policy on oils.
Any advice ?
Recently there was a deal with Shell Helix Ultra 4L at Rs2975 on Amazon. Lots of my friends ordered them, a friend ordered 5 cans and his order was quite delayed (I think it took 2 weeks to arrive). No fakes or adulterated stuff so far and over 10 cans ordered by friends.
Old 28th February 2016, 23:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Any advice ?
No fakes here. I have bought 3 cans till date. Each of it is absolutely genuine as it can be. You cannot go wrong with Shell synth. It's color and product build quality is unmatched.

Leave your fear behind and get it from Amazon.
Old 29th February 2016, 08:51   #30
BANNED

On the back of the collective wisdom of bhpians I have ordered Shell Ultra on Amazon for my Skoda.
I hope it turns out to be genuine. The seller is EReliable. I have mailed them also.
As an engineer, nothing gives the jitters like bad lub oil.
Thanks folks.

Most Viewed