Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2005, 19:27   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Ya guys,
please.
Is it worth it? Have saved up enough to get them for our palio.
Old 6th November 2005, 23:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Other Brands

I suggest we should look at other brands since K&N charges 5 times the price just for the sake of brandname. Our own team-bhpian PJSPEED sells performance filters of another brand for less than 1000 bucks.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8233

I personally went and checked out those filters and they are no way inferior in quality to K&N.So, am planning to fit them in my cars after the chennai floods are done.
Old 7th November 2005, 01:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't make sense to force anybody to recommend for or against the K&N filters. The articles and a lot of test results are up, now you've got to read and decide. For every one person who doesn't believe in K&N's claims, there will be one person who's already experienced increased performance. It's not fair to either.
Old 7th November 2005, 02:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

I agree, ported. Apart from MHP, there IS a difference in BHP too. if not, there's no way K&N sells well,everywhere.

PS: I believe in the 'K&N" concept rather than the brand.
Old 7th November 2005, 21:38   #65
BHPian

Here are the test results of EV500 filters

EV500

More about Ractive
Ractive

PJ
Old 7th November 2005, 21:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

I think K & N has more to with MHP and sound change rather than a substancial increase in actual HP. My freind and I have a Swift and he got his Universal K & N installed in his car from Karol Bagh. He invited me to check his ride out and was all praise about the wonders k & n had done to his car, increased his mid end toque, etc.
So we wet to Delhi - Chandigarh highway on both our cars to have a 1/2 km drag race. I was able to beat him two times and he was able to beat me once. So that goes ahead to show, even though he was feeling that his car was rev happy due to the sound, but his gains were just more mental than actual. In the end it was down to our gear shifts that decided who won. So I again thank Mr.Kamath for highlighting K&N myth.
Old 7th November 2005, 23:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I think K & N has more to with MHP and sound change rather than a substancial increase in actual HP. My freind and I have a Swift and he got his Universal K & N installed in his car from Karol Bagh. He invited me to check his ride out and was all praise about the wonders k & n had done to his car, increased his mid end toque, etc.
So we wet to Delhi - Chandigarh highway on both our cars to have a 1/2 km drag race. I was able to beat him two times and he was able to beat me once. So that goes ahead to show, even though he was feeling that his car was rev happy due to the sound, but his gains were just more mental than actual. In the end it was down to our gear shifts that decided who won. So I again thank Mr.Kamath for highlighting K&N myth.
Like you said the gear shifts decided who won.... And probably the condition of the car, tires, driving confidence, etc also matter....
Old 7th November 2005, 23:51   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
So you were driving your car and your freind on his with KnN filters. This time you drive his car and let him drive yours in a drag race. Though your freind might cheat on you and let you win. but you can figureout the diferrence.

Well, iam all in for KnN filters. It may or may not increase performance, FE or whtever but at the end it filters air and dont let dust getin, which is helps my engine live a longer and healthy life.
Old 8th November 2005, 00:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by max8791
Well, iam all in for KnN filters. It may or may not increase performance, FE or whtever but at the end it filters air and dont let dust getin, which is helps my engine live a longer and healthy life.

if im not mistaken K&N filters both the OER filter and the conical filter have bigger holes so they let more air and along with that more dust into the engine.the stock filters hence block more dust particles and hence are more effective if thats what your concerned about.

Rev
Old 8th November 2005, 01:07   #70
BHPian

KnN : more air :: more dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
if im not mistaken K&N filters both the OER filter and the conical filter have bigger holes so they let more air and along with that more dust into the engine.
Thanks i didnt know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
the stock filters hence block more dust particles and hence are more effective if thats what your concerned about.
look at the brighter side. bigger hole mean more oxygen and these filters are suppose to filter dust equally or better than stock filters.
I hope iam right that KnN filters filters dust better than stock

The engine will be breatheing more oxygen than stocky filters.
Old 8th November 2005, 01:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

No, according to the articles posted on this thread, K&N filter allow more air in, which also results in more dust particles. So on the contrary they might effect the engine life.
Old 8th November 2005, 01:33   #72
BHPian

k&n filters use cotton gaze which is a material that is known to filter better than the regular paper that comes in the OE filters. The best part about k&n is that they offer more air flow and also filter much better. However if dust is a concern for most of you, u could use foam wraps for the k&n conical filters which should give peace of mind for most of us.
I have used K&n in my bikes in the past and found that there was not a speck of dirt in the carb or the cylinder manifold or any other related parts! I also applied a tinge of grease on the carb inlet to see if any dust settled, but was still clean. Want more proof?
Old 8th November 2005, 21:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid
I have used K&n in my bikes in the past and found that there was not a speck of dirt in the carb or the cylinder manifold or any other related parts! I also applied a tinge of grease on the carb inlet to see if any dust settled, but was still clean. Want more proof?

Hey man.... Thanks a ton for clarifying.... I was minutely disappointed after i got the K&N for my esteem about the filtraion aspects from what i read above but now i am satisfied.
Old 8th November 2005, 22:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However if dust is a concern for most of you, u could use foam wraps for the k&n conical filters which should give peace of mind for most of us.
But wont that reduce the airflow capability you gained on account of the K&N?

Quote:
What was the situation with the stock filter...did you find any dirt with that?

My only argument here is that, if the question is of cost vs. gain, then I am sure the K&N loses out.

On the technical front, personally (I repeat, personally) I feel that a good, large-diameter (larger than stock) foam filter is more than enough to do the job (because thats what I have used all the time, even on high-rpm race 2-strokes). K&Ns are no good at all on the dirt track.

fieroid, as an aside, do our hosur friends use K&N? I think not, though I am not sure....

Ananth
Old 8th November 2005, 23:14   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Just curious! Why dont all car manufactures put K & N filters on their cars by default? I am sure, 4K will not cause much price variation for 5-6L car. What is the flip side of it?
Here’s My reasoning as to why manufactures do not go in for K&N as an OEM Fitment

1) Maruti Says that you should just fill unleaded petrol in your vehicle, Don’t use power or speed or petrol with Additives? Where does this logic apply?
2) A Free Flow exhaust system with a header configuration of 4:2:1 is proven to be better that the 4:1. Why don’t cars come factory fitted with this?
3) Are not iridium spark Plugs better than the normal copper ones?

I have just quoted 3 examples; if manufacturers had the customer’s best interest at heart then we would have had cars that gave a far higher FE & better Pep.

We could go on arguing about the Pros & Cons of a K&N Filter.
Well If some one has a specific case where there has been a reported Damage caused by using a K& filter please do let us know. I have been using my Stock K&N for almost a year & I am extremely happy with the difference in the drive & FE.

Most Viewed