Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 09:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Industrial Scissor found in brand-new Punto's suspension!

I have a theory. Is it possible that this scissor was used in the factory to cut/fit either seat covers (OEM) or the leather or say roof fabric or floor carpeting? May be to alter or modify a bad patch. Not a regular practice but say a one off to correct a quality glitch in the upholstery. Then maybe since there is no standard practice for such one offs, the upholsterer forgot the scissor in the car, causing it to get lodged in the suspension.

We know Fiat forgets to tighten screws here and there, so I believe its possible for them to loose a scissor somewhere in the car.
Old 4th January 2014, 09:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I have a theory. Is it possible that this scissor was used in the factory to cut/fit either seat covers (OEM) or the leather or say roof fabric or floor carpeting? May be to alter or modify a bad patch. Not a regular practice but say a one off to correct a quality glitch in the upholstery. Then maybe since there is no standard practice for such one offs, the upholsterer forgot the scissor in the car, causing it to get lodged in the suspension.

We know Fiat forgets to tighten screws here and there, so I believe its possible for them to loose a scissor somewhere in the car.
Very far fetched theory I must say.
All the upholstery is machine cut. Is it not ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 10:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Very far fetched theory I must say.
All the upholstery is machine cut. Is it not ?
Is upholstery which is repaired also cut by machines?
Old 4th January 2014, 11:00   #19
BHPian

This is not something that had happened in the factory, transit or at dealer place. Only two situations that may have resulted in such a situation, either this has happened on the road while driving or else it is at the after market car seat shop. I also rule out the possibility of a sabotage.

The car companies mostly outsource their seats and they are only fitted in their factories into the cars.

The best part is the owner noticing it early and no damage has occurred to the car or it's occupants.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 16:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Is upholstery which is repaired also cut by machines?
Such parts are not made by car manufacturers, rather procured by OEMs, who supply them and have their factories nearby. If there is any defect in the piece noticed while assembling the car, the defective piece is kept aside and either sent back OR discarded upping the fault rate for that seat supplier.

The car manufacturers donot have time to keep on repairing the stuff made by someone else on their own assembly line. Its like when you are paying money to someone you wont accept faults, similarly when car manufacturers are paying money to OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) to provide certain items of a quality, why would they accept substandard products and then try to repair it themselves on the assembly line thereby impacting the assembly line schedule?

Its either a mischief done by someone post delivery OR its being picked up on the road while traveling.

Not possible during car manufacturing or assembly process.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 4th January 2014 at 16:48.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 17:05   #21
BHPian

Given the curvy handles, it might have got picked up along the way from road/highway while the car was being driven. Had it been in there during the delivery, the noise would have been higher at lower speed and alerted folks right then.
Old 4th January 2014, 21:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone's going to get into trouble! For not charging for those scissors!

But seriously, this seems a much more likely explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
These shears are not used in any stage of manufacturing at an automobile plant. Even tinkerers use heavier shears. These light shears are used in garment manufacturing. I would think it got caught in the tyre on the road and got thrown into the coil spring.
Old 4th January 2014, 22:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Finally, a Fiat that makes the cut.
Steeroid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 11:19   #24
BHPian

Woa another worthless Fiat bashing thread, do you expect anyone at the manufacturing plant to use such a dilapidated scissors? As others have pointed out, the car collected it from the road or from an accessories shop. If the scissors came from the plant Sainadh should have heard the metallic sound from the time he took delivery of the car.
Old 5th January 2014, 19:48   #25
BHPian

The manufacturer cannot be blamed for the type of foreign object found in that car. AFAIK this type of scissors is not used in the automobile industry & not even in the garment industry, it must have found its way there at the accessory shop or got picked up from the road while the car was being driven (most likely)
Old 6th January 2014, 23:58   #26
BHPian

Shop floor workers on assembly lines are supposed to only pick up parts and put them in their correct place. Those parts are neatly sorted and are of the right specification and in my experience I've never come across a single occasion when I've seen something being cut or modified in order to put it in place.

Sure there are cases when doors are aligned using a rubber hammer to make small adjustments but no cutting or tinkering happens to put a part in place. If something needs to be modified then the part doesn't meet the specification and hence is rejected.

The scissor in the picture definitely looks like it got picked up from the road or to a lesser extent got left behind at an accessory shop. Such scissors are not used on assembly lines any more.
Old 17th March 2014, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Curious to know how this issue concluded? Did Fiat/dealer accept the blame? Or was it a seat cover installer who left the scissor?
Old 12th June 2014, 22:59   #28
BHPian

Hello Friends, the Punto in discussion belongs to me.

Thank you all for the suggestions & help!

Vecto Fiat informed me, after lot of PDIs @Factory & @Vecto, there is no chance that a scissor of that size could come along with the Car's suspension. People at Vecto enlightened me with the reasons of the scissor like "Might be picked up along the way"/"Some one might have purposefully done it", etcetera. I also had to sing along with the reason "Might be picked up along the way", because that the evening I got my car, straight I went to Reliance Auto Zone @ HSR to get Car Cover and other accessories, it might have got picked there.
90Horses is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks