Team-BHP - Mahindra recalls select XUV500s for a clutch replacement
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Mahindra recalls select XUV500s for a clutch replacement (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/146696-mahindra-recalls-select-xuv500s-clutch-replacement.html)

Mahindra recalls select XUV500 crossovers for a hush-hush clutch replacement

Quote:

The latest on this front involves the Mahindra XUV500 crossover, which has received a steady stream of upgrades or “product improvements” ever since its launch in 2011. This time around, a single batch of the XUV500 has been called in for clutch replacement, which is happening during routine service

Quote:

Mahindra changed the clutch design of the XUV500 around February 2013. However, the XUV500s that rolled out of the production line with the revised clutch design began to experience issues. Mahindra promptly switched back to the older design, which was relatively trouble free.
After reverting back to the older clutch design, Mahindra began contacting owners of XUV500s with the revised clutch individually in order to replace the clutch and revert to the older design. Mahindra has chosen to keep this recall a quiet affair, without the usual public announcement that precedes a major recall.

http://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-recal...h-replacement/

It can be looked from two angles.

One the car has been having small niggling issues right from the day of its launch.

Secondly, if Mahindra has not made much noise in the media and still went ahead with replacing the clutch shows that the company operates with ethics and value system.

This step must be applauded. Full marks to Mahindra for showing this care for their customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mints21 (Post 3345529)
It can be looked from two angles.

Secondly, if Mahindra has not made much noise in the media and still went ahead with replacing the clutch shows that the company operates with ethics and value system.

This step must be applauded. Full marks to Mahindra for showing this care for their customers.

While this point does make sense, I would be worried more about the below portion. They devised a newer part which is more troublesome than the already existing inferior part - doesn't it kind of point to their technical incompetency? I would say this is a shame for a company who is is striving to be better. What is the kind of real life testing they did before they rolled this out for newer cars!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3345450)
Mahindra changed the clutch design of the XUV500 around February 2013. However, the XUV500s that rolled out of the production line with the revised clutch design began to experience issues. Mahindra promptly switched back to the older design, which was relatively trouble free...

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3345825)
While this point does make sense, I would be worried more about the below portion. They devised a newer part which is more troublesome than the already existing inferior part - doesn't it kind of point to their technical incompetency? I would say this is a shame for a company who is is striving to be better. What is the kind of real life testing they did before they rolled this out for newer cars!!

Exactly my thought when i read this yesterday. As it is they had a bad clutch in first generation and then they made it even worse that they had to go back to the original one :Frustrati I wonder how bad it was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3345825)

Absolutely makes sense but it looks like they are doing R&D but on customer vehicles which was not behaving as intended so silently reverting to the original clutch design.

I'm happy and applaud them for at least recalling the defective set of cars rather than being silent letting the customer suffer.

Anurag.