Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:33   #1
BHPian

VW Jetta: Issue with fuel delivery system & check engine light

Hey guys I am an owner of a VW Jetta. I have owned this vehicle since last 2 and a half years, out of which I was a proud owner for merely 1 and a half year.

Now coming to the point, my car is at this moment with Viraj automobile in Noida for Repair under warranty as recently, my car has been having issues with the Engine check light coming on after some interval on the 20th of December. I took the car for a checkup and learned that the diagnostics found fault with the common rail and as the car is still under warranty, it was ordered from the company, as its not a fast moving part and is not stocked by the dealership. My car was checked in for repairs/replacement on the 29th of December 2013.

After a few days, I got a call from the service manager that the problem still existed after changing the Common Rail, and now the diagnostics computer had found another error and the car is still not in working condition. On further prodding, I found that the High Pressure Pump was faulty and needed to be replaced and an order was again placed with VW immediately.

On the 12th of January 2014, the High Pressure Pump arrived and was duly replaced with much care and observation. After installation, the car was taken for a long test drive by the dealership on my authorization. On the return of the vehicle, it was observed that the Engine Check Light had switched on again. The vehicle was again checked with the diagnostics computer which then stated the entire fuel system was to be checked and cleaned.

I gave my authorization again to the dealership to empty my fuel tank and replace the diesel with newly bought one, after cleaning the fuel tank and the entire fuel line. The car was again taken for a test drive and the error still remained. Now my grievance is not with the dealership, but the company Volkswagen. This is the second time a part of my VW Jetta has given up under warranty, first being the AC Compressor/ Condenser in early June 2013. My curiosity has turned into dismay and disgust as I have never faced parts failure in any of my private vehicles till date.

Icing over the cake is no Corporate Engineer is looking into my problem when the agency itself cannot rectify it. Due to my car being in the dealership for repair since 29th of December 2013, I have to travel in buses and public transport which has caused a lot of inconvenience to me and as well as my family.

I request you if anyone here knows how to get VW corporate to get in touch with me as there is no clarity what the problem with my car is. I have been running from Pillar to Post and maintaining my cool, but the unresponsiveness from VW has enraged me. Am now left with only one option i.e to take Legal action against the company and its representatives. My advice to people who are looking into buying a VW is please DON'T, their cars are marred by technical glitches unheard of in Japanese makes.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2014 at 16:07. Reason: Typos
Kanboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta: Issue with fuel delivery system & check engine light

Has the dealership tried to escalate the issue to VW? If not ask them to do the same, this is the ideal route. If not you can try through customer care, but high probability it will be referred back to the dealer and he will take it as you are escalating against him.

So i feel, you can ask the dealer to escalate it and request for technical team at VW side to look into the case.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
ask the dealer to escalate it and request for technical team at VW side to look into the case
I too agree with this advise. If you look at the overall picture the dealer has done whatever was in his capacity. The dealer has been carrying out the checks, sourcing parts and replacing it under warranty. You too mentioned that you have no issues with the dealer.

Ask him to escalate it to the company on your behalf. Moreover, there is a great chance that the service engineer is unable to diagnose the issue properly. You can suggest the dealer to consult service advisors from other VW dealers in NCR and check if their is a similar case reported at any other workshop.

Avoid taking the matter legal, that may not help at this stage. You will have to prove reasonably that VW have sold you a defective car and that you have followed all routes and have not been extended help. Moreover, it is time consuming.

If your dealer helps in escalating and calling VW engineers (which the dealer can), your battle is won and the problem will be solved.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
I request you if anyone here knows how to get VW corporate to get intouch with me as there is no clarity what the problem with my car's is. I have been running from Pillar to Post and maintaining my cool, but the unresposiveness from VW has enraged me...and am now left with only one option i.e to take Legal action against the company and its representatives. My advice to people who are looking into buying a VW is please DON'T, their cars are marred by technical glitches unheard of in Japanese makes...

I suggest you escalate it to customer care directly. But since you're happy with the service mentioned by the dealership, mention that in the email. My Vento had so many issues. We escalated it to VW and said that we won't take delivery of the car until it was certified by a company engineer. We didn't get what we wanted but VW worked with the dealership to ensure that all our issues were resolved. I have noticed VW doesn't directly deal with customers. Instead, they prefer to deal through their dealers. In my case, the dealer mentioned that they were under a lot of pressure from VW to resolve the issue. It is not ideal but we have to work with the system in place.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Due to my car being in the dealership for repair since 29th of December 2013, I have to travel in buses and public transport which has caused a lot of Inconvenience to me and as well as my family.*
Suggest to ask for spare car for your use as dealers do give if repair takes lot of time and a genuine case

Last edited by aka_iitd : 23rd January 2014 at 15:45.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Jetta: Issue with fuel delivery system & check engine light

Quote:
Hey guys I am an owner of a VW Jetta. I have owned this vehicle since last 2 and a half year
Out of curiosity, did you manage to get extended warranty on the car? IIRC, the Jetta only has a 2 year warranty (with no extended option).

Agreed with what the others have to say. First, escalate the matter to VW. Clearly, the dealer isn't able to nail the problem and is replacing parts at random. Second, demand a courtesy car.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is really disgusting. Authorized service center guys also unable to find the real fault after so many days is really shame for company. Does that mean that their service persons are not properly trained about the engine? Or its another case where engine itself is at fault, may be after refuelling it with some adulterated fuel? This kind of service is not at all expected from the VW. In this case customer has already have problem with car's AC and now this.

Get VW contact person's mail id's from dealer only. They must be having it for sure. I guess then you should directly shoot mail at VW. Make some really hard noise at the dealer in front of other customers so that they will have to take prompt action (Hopefully). Don't leave them at all.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

As others have said, request the dealer to escalate the matter to the company and while VAG does not tend to interact directly with the customer, they might provide some solution to the dealer and meanwhile please do request a standby car as they have to oblige.

Avoid the legal route mate, it is just too time consuming.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
High Pressure Pump
This is quite common in TDI. And the dealers have done a good job in replacing under warranty which is not the case for many where blame was put on customer for using bad fuel.

I would say the dealer has done a good job in your case to try fix a problem. This is one of the unluckly instance where the problem is still not found.

YOu have to escalate to VW directly. They will revert back and start putting pressure on the dealership. I am also sure they will help you with a courtesy car.

You have to demand for a replacement car. Post your complaint in FB if needed to get their attention.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Has the dealership tried to escalate the issue to VW? If not ask them to do the same, this is the ideal route. If not you can try through customer care, but high probability it will be referred back to the dealer and he will take it as you are escalating against him.

So i feel, you can ask the dealer to escalate it and request for technical team at VW side to look into the case.
Jaggu as per the dealership my matter is already a high priority as I have spoken at thr customer care on the second day my car was retained by the dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Suggest to ask for spare car for your use as dealers do give if repair takes lot of time and a genuine case
I did request the company to provide me with a replacement car even a polo would do I just needed to carry my work out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I suggest you escalate it to customer care directly. But since you're happy with the service mentioned by the dealership, mention that in the email. My Vento had so many issues. We escalated it to VW and said that we won't take delivery of the car until it was certified by a company engineer. We didn't get what we wanted but VW worked with the dealership to ensure that all our issues were resolved. I have noticed VW doesn't directly deal with customers. Instead, they prefer to deal through their dealers. In my case, the dealer mentioned that they were under a lot of pressure from VW to resolve the issue. It is not ideal but we have to work with the system in place.
Kini and mints I did speak to the customer care and requested them that someone from the corporate should get in touch with me as there was a solution that needed to be found, but no1 answered back. Infact the dealership got back in touch with me and told me company Engineer has asked for my car's VAG Data to look dor a solution and would visit on Monday which he didn't. On questioning they told me he was busy with India heads visit. Today I got a call from my dealership that they wanted to transfer my car to a different dealer in Noida as they were not able to fix my car. I asked them if they have consulted with VW om the transfer and he had no answer for it. I again have permitted them to do so but have managed to lose my cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I too agree with this advise. If you look at the overall picture the dealer has done whatever was in his capacity. The dealer has been carrying out the checks, sourcing parts and replacing it under warranty. You too mentioned that you have no issues with the dealer.

Ask him to escalate it to the company on your behalf. Moreover, there is a great chance that the service engineer is unable to diagnose the issue properly. You can suggest the dealer to consult service advisors from other VW dealers in NCR and check if their is a similar case reported at any other workshop.

Avoid taking the matter legal, that may not help at this stage. You will have to prove reasonably that VW have sold you a defective car and that you have followed all routes and have not been extended help. Moreover, it is time consuming.

If your dealer helps in escalating and calling VW engineers (which the dealer can), your battle is won and the problem will be solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of curiosity, did you manage to get extended warranty on the car? IIRC, the Jetta only has a 2 year warranty (with no extended option).

Agreed with what the others have to say. First, escalate the matter to VW. Clearly, the dealer isn't able to nail the problem and is replacing parts at random. Second, demand a courtesy car.
GTO when I purchased the Jetta in 2011 they
were phasing out the old mk5 shape and were coming out with new mk6 shape which is on sale now. At that time they offered discount and extended warranty and free Insurance with the car. As mentioned earlier I have gotten in touch with the customer care twice first when my high pressure pump was not in stock and second when the dealership could not find a problem after replacing the pump and still no revert from corporate or corporate engineer, but my dealership is under emance pressure to fix and release my car. I did ask them for a courtesy/temporary Replacement car to carry out my work which they refused clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
This is really disgusting. Authorized service center guys also unable to find the real fault after so many days is really shame for company. Does that mean that their service persons are not properly trained about the engine? Or its another case where engine itself is at fault, may be after refuelling it with some adulterated fuel? This kind of service is not at all expected from the VW. In this case customer has already have problem with car's AC and now this.

Get VW contact person's mail id's from dealer only. They must be having it for sure. I guess then you should directly shoot mail at VW. Make some really hard noise at the dealer in front of other customers so that they will have to take prompt action (Hopefully). Don't leave them at all.
No one from customer care or the dealership is ready to give the mail id or phone number of anyone from Corporate office

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
As others have said, request the dealer to escalate the matter to the company and while VAG does not tend to interact directly with the customer, they might provide some solution to the dealer and meanwhile please do request a standby car as they have to oblige.

Avoid the legal route mate, it is just too time consuming.

Cheers and good luck!
I agree bro already have too many cases pending in courts in three states, but they(VW) have refused out rightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is quite common in TDI. And the dealers have done a good job in replacing under warranty which is not the case for many where blame was put on customer for using bad fuel.

I would say the dealer has done a good job in your case to try fix a problem. This is one of the unluckly instance where the problem is still not found.

YOu have to escalate to VW directly. They will revert back and start putting pressure on the dealership. I am also sure they will help you with a courtesy car.

You have to demand for a replacement car. Post your complaint in FB if needed to get their attention.
Thank you VW2010 I will post my grievance there as well by the evening.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd January 2014 at 18:53. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Kanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:12   #11
BHPian

Hello,
Sorry to hear about the troubles on your car. After having a couple of issues on my Superb 1.8T over the last 2.5 years of ownership, my conclusion is that the service technicians for the most part are very incompetent at diagnosing / fixing a problem accurately. They almost literally go backwards in trying to diagnose / fixing the problem. For example: instead of checking for lose connections or leaky valves etc, they jump to suggesting replacement of a relatively major component. Now the symptom that shows up in the VAGCOM diagnosis could be due to a faulty sensor as well. And instead of checking for a faulty sensor they assume the sensor is working fine (which is fair), but realistically it takes a lot less time and effort to troubleshoot a faulty sensor than, lets say to replace a fuel pump relay, or a high pressure pump as in your case.
Anywhoo, I would highly suggest you talk to them very patiently and inform yourself about the possible problems before hand, and then try to figure out if they seem like they know what they're talking about, and if it makes sense. If not, then go to another service station, or find an independent and competent workshop.

As we speak my car is at a skoda workshop and apparently has had its fuel pump replaced (under warranty), as well as the fuse box which apparently had high "sulphur" / corrosion of sorts (not under warranty). The symptoms were CEL in the dash, as well as inability to rev over 4k. The service advisor says this will 100% fix the problem, so let's see what happens tomorrow.

Your case seems to be a bit more extreme with the number of days and inability to fix the problem, so for sure you ought to contact the "higher ups".

All the best!
Macfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kanboy,

Did you happen to fill from an unknown fuel station? This could be a cause. What are the errors you're getting?

Could you please post the reports you'd got from the dealer? This would give a better understanding to all of us

Last edited by nitinbose : 23rd January 2014 at 18:38.
Old 23rd January 2014, 19:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

While it is nice to see the workshop trying their best, simply speak or write sternly to them saying that your car has been with them for the past xx months either due to the incompetence of the manufacturer being able to make a car for our country or their dealership's expertise (also you had to wait for them to get parts since nothing seemed to be in stock). Say that this has hampered your life drastically since you now have to use the other means to commute which puts you under loads of stress and also makes the time spent commuting, longer. DEMAND A COURTESY CAR! otherwise don't leave the dealership. Ask to speak to the owner.
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
While it is nice to see the workshop trying their best, simply speak or write sternly to them saying that your car has been with them for the past xx months either due to the incompetence of the manufacturer being able to make a car for our country or their dealership's expertise (also you had to wait for them to get parts since nothing seemed to be in stock). Say that this has hampered your life drastically since you now have to use the other means to commute which puts you under loads of stress and also makes the time spent commuting, longer. DEMAND A COURTESY CAR! otherwise don't leave the dealership. Ask to speak to the owner.
Ishaan I did write to the company infact today posted on their Facebook page as well as suggested by someone here, but there is no reply what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Kanboy,

Did you happen to fill from an unknown fuel station? This could be a cause. What are the errors you're getting?

Could you please post the reports you'd got from the dealer? This would give a better understanding to all of us
Nitin I am a logistics operator from chandigarh and own a petrol pump as well from where I refill my car. The only fuel I have gotten from outside is mostly from COCO(Company owned Company Operated) Pumps as I have major trust issues when it comes to clean fuel, until unless none are present close by that too i get only as much fuel required to reach my gas station. I have no access to the Vag/Vas reports though on my return to Delhi on monday I will collect all the material pertaining to my car and post it here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Hello,
Sorry to hear about the troubles on your car. After having a couple of issues on my Superb 1.8T over the last 2.5 years of ownership, my conclusion is that the service technicians for the most part are very incompetent at diagnosing / fixing a problem accurately. They almost literally go backwards in trying to diagnose / fixing the problem. For example: instead of checking for lose connections or leaky valves etc, they jump to suggesting replacement of a relatively major component. Now the symptom that shows up in the VAGCOM diagnosis could be due to a faulty sensor as well. And instead of checking for a faulty sensor they assume the sensor is working fine (which is fair), but realistically it takes a lot less time and effort to troubleshoot a faulty sensor than, lets say to replace a fuel pump relay, or a high pressure pump as in your case.
Anywhoo, I would highly suggest you talk to them very patiently and inform yourself about the possible problems before hand, and then try to figure out if they seem like they know what they're talking about, and if it makes sense. If not, then go to another service station, or find an independent and competent workshop.

As we speak my car is at a skoda workshop and apparently has had its fuel pump replaced (under warranty), as well as the fuse box which apparently had high "sulphur" / corrosion of sorts (not under warranty). The symptoms were CEL in the dash, as well as inability to rev over 4k. The service advisor says this will 100% fix the problem, so let's see what happens tomorrow.

Your case seems to be a bit more extreme with the number of days and inability to fix the problem, so for sure you ought to contact the "higher ups".

All the best!
Macfreak am sorry to hear about ur problem a friend of mine who too owns a superb 1.8T petrol had to get his Megatronic replaced at 23000kms and the sad part it he was not informed as to how the Megatronic gave up...But I have been in touch with a few more friends of mine who swear that the VW group cars are glitchy and keep having issues from electricals to mechanics. Like i have already been informed by the dealership that my Flywheel nd clutch are almost ready to be changed and my car has driven 83000kms and at 90000kms I will have to get my engine chain replaced. So i spoke to a friend who had owned a Fortuner since the starting of production in india and he too has driven his vehicle around 1.2lac kms and there is no need to replace the clutch etc...so VW group vehicles are definitely a good drive but demand high maintenance. Today I got off the phone with the advisor from Viraj who wanted to transfer my car to a different dealership, as they feel that the other dealership is more equipped to handle my problem for which I have authorised them, but only after taking the corporate into confidence, as I don't want the dealership to point a finger at me. Now am just stuck as the corporate engineer is not landing up and my dealership wants to dump my car.
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Kanboy,

this is all i could manage to get/
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta: Issue with fuel delivery system & check engine light-jetta-vag.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks