Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 20:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor servi

The Gods must be smiling at you mad Monkey! Thank goodness you did not have any accidents due the quixotic behaviour of the vehicle. When one shells out loads of money, one is entitled to proper service. The kind of treatment dished out by the likes of JLR is totally ridiculous. I thought that with the takeover of JLR ,Tata would learn a thing or two about quality and after sales service.Instead it seems to be working the other way round!
This is one of the few times in my life that I am glad that I cannot afford to buy a vehicle for one and a half crores. My sympathies are with you Mad Monkey. Sue them until they are blue in the face!
Regards,
Ashok
Old 24th February 2014, 21:49   #32
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery 4: A near death experience, continuous problems & poor servi

I hope this public expose of TATA's crap service reaches someone who can change things.

Also on another note I would seriously recommend getting rid of the vehicle. Whatever it is, nothing comes before the safety of one's life.

Get them to pay up and go for something like the Land Cruiser. You probably wont ever regret that decision.

P.S. Tata, you just lost another potential buyer. If not for this attitude I was seriously considering the XF.

Last edited by SASproject : 24th February 2014 at 21:50. Reason: Grammatical Error
Old 24th February 2014, 22:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

This is seriously a bad attitude from the service engineers and mainly from the JLR company. Being a big company I think they should first give importance to their customers by having proper service technicians and dedicated service outlets.

IMO all the incidents which has taken place with MadMonkey is breath taking incidents and he is very lucky to come out of all this. I feel JLR should replace the car with no second thought.

@MadMonkey I would suggest you to take this up seriously and ask for a replacement at any cost or if possible a refund with which you can buy a car from a reliable manufacturer.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:03   #34
F50
Senior - BHPian

This is outrageous in terms of everything - service, reliability and attitude! This was the least expected from a JLR. The horror stories of Skoda/VW now sounds like very reliable and buyable brand.

JLR this is not the way you behave with your customers. For once (please) make a commercial which shows off the ON-Road capabilities and not OFF-Road.
Competitors are you watching this?

All I can say is you have been very very patient with the car. Most of the stories I know as and when it happened. It's time to move on. You are more than capable of getting things done be it compensation or replacement. Lets not put your and others life in danger.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
The discovery is at present priced at Rs. 1,44,50,710 on road mumbai....
Sorry to hear your bad experience. So what's the status of the vehicle now? is it back on road or still in one of the workshops? Have they rectified the problem.

if so what was the cause?

OT- I have heard its a common workshop for Tata and JLR vehicles in Mumbai, is it true?
Old 25th February 2014, 12:34   #36
Team-BHP Support

I thought JLR were over the hump when it came to reliability but it looks like the owner gets humped.

50 days waiting for a part?

For my "rare" Skoda vRS, Skoda were able to source a water pump within a week. For a 1+ cr car, I would expect better
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 12:34   #37
BHPian

@ Mad Monkey - Thank you stars & God that you have not suffered any severe accident during the failures.

During 2 last trips to Chennai & back, from Pune, the no. of High end (AUDI, BMW, MB & JLR) cars we could spot on each trip fitted in the fingers of our hands. And that too only within 100 kms distance of the major metros. So much for cars that are supposed to be the kings of the Autobhans & highways of Europe. If you are looking for peace of mind buy a Jap/Korean vehicle. Those guys understand electronics & Quality control.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

MadMonkey: It is highly unfortunate that you have had to deal with all this, clearly you are stuck with a lemon. IMO, you best bet is to sell it off instead of wasting your time and money to fight JLR in court to give you a new replacement or refund. You have the new high price tag of your car in your advantage here, it costs 1.44cr in Mumbai now and costed a whole lot less when you bought it. Hence you wouldn't lose all that much on depreciation if you manage to find a buyer or car dealer.
Use the money and get yourself a car that will give you peace of mind, thats prime importance when you are gunning down a highway.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 13:27   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
if you manage to find a buyer or car dealer.
Use the money and get yourself a car that will give you peace of mind, thats prime importance when you are gunning down a highway.
I agree on the peace of mind bit.

And its best if Mad Monkey sells the car back to a used car dealer, rather than an individual buyer since the car is a confirmed lemon.
Old 25th February 2014, 14:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am actually appalled at the technology.
Computers are driving everything - and have been driving most of the things (like nuclear power plants) even in the past.
However, such behavior from an embedded system is highly highly deplorable.

It appears that JLR is using a beta software on an Intel based PC - instead of RTOS on a RISC chip.
Old 25th February 2014, 14:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
MadMonkey: It is highly unfortunate that you have had to deal with all this, clearly you are stuck with a lemon. IMO, you best bet is to sell it off instead of wasting your time and money to fight JLR in court to give you a new replacement or refund.
What does this advise mean:

- Sell off this car and buy yourself a new one

The bigger question remains unanswered, the vehicle will still be on the roads may be with a new owner and if it’s a lemon, someone else will be in trouble

- From the ownership experience per say, as well as

- From a mid-road breakdown, which could be catastrophic

The long and the short of it is – Is this a good advise? Why not take it up with the manufacturer lawfully to get things right.

Suggestion of getting rid of the car will serve very limited purpose.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 14:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

I think there are a lot of 'also-ran' car manufacturers who use computers for computers sake, i.e. just because every other manufacturer is also using them. Seems like the philosophy with JLR, Skoda etc. There is no process or proper thought as concerns the effect of so many faulty chips/codes/PCBs on the end user.

It's like someone at their board meetings suddenly had an idea around a decade or so ago, Hey, 'Infiniti/Acura/Lexus/Mercedes/BMW/Audi etc etc' are using chips for substituting many mechanical functions in their cars, looks like this is the new trend in automative technology, so why should we fall behind. We must use these too. So let's call up various suppliers and seek out the lowest tenders for these components while we price our cars the highest for those vain glorious suckers to use. Ha Ha and we can have the last laugh.

These guys are below pathetic.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 14:59   #43
BHPian

I was appalled when i read your report..appalled. If the same had happened on an Autobahn in Germany or a Motorway in the US or UK you would be laughing all the way to the bank after even the merest threat of litigation towards JLR.

The level of customer service is at par with that of a Sumo. I cant imagine how frustrating this would make you feel. My commiserations.

Have there been any formal apologies from JLR India? Or do Indians not deserve even that?

I was contemplating a Freelander HSE quite seriously, but now.. NO WAY!!
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 15:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mad Monkey,

I am so heartbroken, with your problems, but at the same time so humbled to be able to read this with a private invite, I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing this to light, it shows how in todays world a Cycle is more reliable than a Luxury Car,

But coming to the point, I've had an issue like this, with a Mercedes and while I did try to fight or hope they will serve me better, matters like this are best closed by selling it off to a dealer, I know expectations are high but in most cases all car makers do this, I'm not defending JLR, but it's when problems liek this come in a few cars and almost all car makers (Being a few exceptional cases) don't really treat the customer and his/her issue in a right manner and mostly try subject it to a lot of stress, which only lies with you.

Now may I with all due respect recommend a G350 CDI? Can't assure you of the best services there, but I do think they will take better care of you than JLR has. My sincere wish that everything is sorted and soon you take me for a drive in the 350CDI, until then, take care, (and seriously, sell that trash can)

P.S : On the bright side, you got to try 10 other loaner cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
This is not the first time I've had a problem with the Discovery...

Some stats on my Discovery 4:
  • Just over three years old
  • Run only 34,000 kms
  • 6 Services completed
  • On my third set of brake pads
  • Four break downs . Two outside Mumbai in remote area's
  • Almost 250 days spent in the workshop due to various faults and breakdowns
  • 10 (yes TEN) different loaner cars in the last three years
[b]Year-wise breakup of major problems faced
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 15:32   #45
BHPian

Shocked and appalled!

And the marketing team would like us to believe that these are the real go anywhere vehicles, designed to cross jungles, mountains and deserts. While the truth is, these vehicles can't even go too far from Bombay without a problem.

Truly sad for the owner, this is not the kind of experience one expects from a world renowned brand (and especially after spending that kind of money).

I would strongly suggest to pursue legal action against the company.
CarCynic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed