Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2006, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Tuning for K&N?

Hi Guys

Does my K & N performance filter needs a tunning for a better performance?? I drive an Esteem LXI which is an year old.Heard it through some guys that cars has to be tuned in differently for the K&N to fire up..Myth or Fact?? please advice
Old 30th June 2006, 15:26   #2
aZa
Senior - BHPian

U would need to reset the ECU i think after fitting the K&N filter.
Old 30th June 2006, 18:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is your car MPFI? If yes, It will tune on its own. From what I understandThe ECU will calculate the air intake and supply more fuel.

Soemone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 30th June 2006, 18:32   #4
BHPian

Nothing doing, just make sure filter placement is away from heat source.
Old 30th June 2006, 21:41   #5
BHPian

What if its a carb. engine.... will i hav 2 change the air setting or open my carb a bit.....? or i need to do nothing but get the K&N installed!?
Old 30th June 2006, 21:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired
Hi Guys

Does my K & N performance filter needs a tunning for a better performance?? I drive an Esteem LXI which is an year old.Heard it through some guys that cars has to be tuned in differently for the K&N to fire up..Myth or Fact?? please advice
No , I dont think so.
Its just a filter its not forcing extra air into your system..its not like some forced induction system like turbo or supercharger...
It is just helping your engine to suck in air more freely without restriction as per the requirement of the ECU. If you are running a normally aspirated stock engine with a KnN you dont need to worry.
Just try to install it in such a way as other BHPians said.. as far as possible away from heat source.
Maybe as a side precaution you may need to reset the ECU once by disconnecting the battery terminals for a short period... just to make sure the ECU starts calculating the parameters again

Last edited by chetanhanda : 30th June 2006 at 21:57.
Old 30th June 2006, 23:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
No , I dont think so.
Its just a filter its not forcing extra air into your system..its not like some forced induction system like turbo or supercharger...
It is just helping your engine to suck in air more freely without restriction as per the requirement of the ECU. If you are running a normally aspirated stock engine with a KnN you dont need to worry.
Just try to install it in such a way as other BHPians said.. as far as possible away from heat source.
Maybe as a side precaution you may need to reset the ECU once by disconnecting the battery terminals for a short period... just to make sure the ECU starts calculating the parameters again
Exactly dude as chetanhanda said u need to reset the ecu after installing the K&N air filter.Reset it by removing the negative terminal of the battery for about 15 to 20 seconds and then fix it.Start the car and let it idle for about a minute or so.This will let the ecu detect that more air is comming in because of the K&N and thus it will supply more fuel and increase in power.U can easily notice the difference in the way your car moves after resetting the ECU after fixing the K&N
Old 1st July 2006, 00:10   #8
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Exactly dude as chetanhanda said u need to reset the ecu after installing the K&N air filter.Reset it by removing the negative terminal of the battery for about 15 to 20 seconds and then fix it.Start the car and let it idle for about a minute or so.This will let the ecu detect that more air is comming in because of the K&N and thus it will supply more fuel and increase in power.U can easily notice the difference in the way your car moves after resetting the ECU after fixing the K&N
Or as soon as you reset the ECU, instead of idling, you can take it for a quick spin.... drive it a little fast during the first 2-4 kms and later enjoy the extra power you get from the K&N install...
Old 2nd July 2006, 09:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Or as soon as you reset the ECU, instead of idling, you can take it for a quick spin.... drive it a little fast during the first 2-4 kms and later enjoy the extra power you get from the K&N install...
Do we really need to ride a little fast for the first few kms?

I thought the ECU always did the initial recalibration based on parameters at idle rpm?? Can anyone confirm?
Old 2nd July 2006, 09:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Resetting teh ECU is done by disconnecting teh battry for 15min and reconnecting it and then driving for couple of kms. WHy? this way teh ECU understands/trains itself your driving style and adjusts to that way
Old 2nd July 2006, 23:15   #11
BHPian

1] All ECU' are not the same. (a)Some use predefined lookup tables or (b)some do calculations at runtime to find out the values based on the inputs by various sensors.
2] Why we are saying that it is better to drive the car fast and not just idle it in neutral is to ensure the car is not cold and the ECU is in closed loop. Because if it is idling and if engine is cold ECU is in open loop i.e will basically not base its calculations on input sensors e.g. narrowband 02 sensor in the exhaust, Engine temp,Intake 02 amount, crank sensor, TPs. Basically ecu simply pushes rich mix to the engine and doesn't think necessary to ask the sensors.
3] When you are driving the car for some time ECU will go into closed loop and will start calculating/recalibrating based on all the sensors and start modifying the various parameters of the engine.At this stage it will detect larger amounts of 02 and maybe if its smart enough understand the increase of O2. Basically drive the car thrpughout the rev ange
4] Also note that at WOT i.e full throttle the ECU will again go into open loop so sensor input will be bypassed, this again is dependant on the type of ECU
5] In short just drive the car fast but not at full throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR
Do we really need to ride a little fast for the first few kms?
Regarding your 1st question.. I think the above would answer your question, dont get into more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR
I thought the ECU always did the initial recalibration based on parameters at idle rpm?? Can anyone confirm?
Depends on temperature of car and also what is there to calibrate at idle ?
I dont think at idle rpm the ECU calibration is done
Old 2nd July 2006, 23:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Resetting teh ECU is done by disconnecting teh battry for 15min and reconnecting it and then driving for couple of kms. WHy? this way teh ECU understands/trains itself your driving style and adjusts to that way
Plz explain how does it adapt to your driving style ? Are you referring to Aston Martins or BMW's ? which Indian car actually adapts to your driving style and how ?
Old 3rd July 2006, 17:53   #13
BHPian

Thanks all

Thanks for all the advice guys.. Also is it advisable to set the ECU myself or do you think the mechanic has a good hand? Also my car is an MPFI, and as adviced will drive it for couple of Kms fast after the ECU is reset.

Psst: WHAT DOES ECU STAND FOR?? )) I really need to know as am not good at car mechanics!!
Old 3rd July 2006, 19:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda

Plz explain how does it adapt to your driving style ? Are you referring to Aston Martins or BMW's ? which Indian car actually adapts to your driving style and how ?
You knw what I meant right? AFter a reset, teh ECU will need new parameters which it learns when you drive.
Old 3rd July 2006, 19:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired
Thanks for all the advice guys.. Also is it advisable to set the ECU myself or do you think the mechanic has a good hand?
Basic ECM Resetting

ECM = Engine Control Module
ECU = Engine Control Unit

or similar

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks