Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 18:12   #1
BHPian

Can a Swift be Towed by a Grand i10?

Can a hatchback like Grand i10 be used to tow another vehicle like a Swift over a distance of 3-5 kms?
thehighwayman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 23:14   #2
BHPian

re: Can a Swift be Towed by a Grand i10?

I guess it can be done without any problems. One of my relatives had used his swift to tow Maruti Gypsy to the garage (around 2-3 kms). He never faced any problems with the swift after the towing.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 23:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just use a built for purpose towing rope, and remember that the swift should not cause any sort of strain on the rope when being towed.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 23:51   #4
BHPian

Not sure if it is a comparison of likes, I had one Beat tow another one for around 30 kilometres without problem. The damage: rear bumper of the towing vehicle had the paint work damage, perhaps owing to disfiguring of bumper. A local jugaad - ropes, wires, tyres had been used.
Old 28th January 2014, 00:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This can certainly be done. Just that, the tow rope should be of adequate capacity and it should be mounted on the dedicated tow hooks of both cars.

You should use a tow rope of 2.5 tons or a higher capacity.

Do keep your speeds low and the engine on boost. Don't lug it in high gear, but no need for excessively high rpm either.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 00:37   #6
BHPian

It will be able to pull it BUT first, what is the purpose behind this exercise?
No other means to tow the Swift to the destined place?

-Bhargav
Old 28th January 2014, 06:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

You certainly can but remember that you are pulling with a Petrol car which doesn't produce greater torque at idle speeds like the diesel counter parts. This could be as good as driving your i10 with 8 Adults and luggage on top or a carrier and climbing a ghat section.

Ensure that you are able to maintain good momentum all the times (Includes co-ordination from both drivers) such that you use minimal throttle with a decent pace rather than having to downshift and accelerate causing strain to your clutch.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 07:02   #8
BHPian

I will not suggest you to tow a swift with Grand i10. This may cause damage to your clutch. From your location, I can assume that you are based in Pune. The city may be having a lot of authorised dealers. Call any one of them and let him do the job for you.

Moreover, towing require some kind of expertise, and the rear towing hook of the Grand i10 is placed under the rear body and a little negligence will end up damaging the bumper. I am attaching a picture for your ready reference.

Can a Swift be Towed by a Grand i10?-rear-tow-hook.jpg

So, finally my suggestion is call the authorised service centre and let him handle this for you. My fear is that with limited expertise you may end up causing scratches/damage to both the cars.

Best Wishes
mints21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 07:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I would not have advised if the distance was very long, but for 3-5 kms, this shouls not be an issue. If you don't ride the clutch, it is a very safe and easy exercise.
For the record, OEMs haul twice or more of a car's weight during durability testing to ensure that the car is fail safe under such conditions.
Old 28th January 2014, 07:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Capability of the car apart please don't try this unless its a dire need and there's simply no other option. Towing another vehicle with your hatch might not even be entirely legal.
Plus without a dedicated towing vehicle, equipment and trained personnel you are risking your car, the other car and the other road users.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 08:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, however clutch life will get reduced. FYI- most Maruti towing vehicles are Omnis, regardless of vehicle being towed. Their clutches are replaced every 15K kms on average.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 08:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

This isnt rocket science man. You are totally over-thinking it. Of course sensible precautions such as tying the tow rope at the appropriate places is what you need to figure out. You could've probably done that in lesser time than it took for everyone to respond to this thread!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 10:10   #13
BANNED

I see no issues. The 'tongue load' will not be that high. Just be gentle to be doubly sure.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

You are over thinking. There is a reason why the tow hook is given . And you are not pulling a trailer to worry too much about load.Also its a short distance. So get yourself a sturdy tow strap and tow it when the traffic is less to avoid inconvenience to you as well as fellow road users.
Old 28th January 2014, 11:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't worry much. Even an Omni/ M800 can pull the Swift. I have seen an Omni towing a Mark II Amby.

The point is not to look only at the weight of the Swift alone. The weight is on its wheels and wheels rotate! This makes the task easy. For eg. you cannot push and move 800 Kgs. of solid iron block but you can single handedly push an 800 Kg car- because it is on the wheels.

Now, if YOU can push a car alone, just imagine what a car with power of 70-80 adult horses & KGs of torque can do, esp. when you consider the fact that pulling is always easier than pushing. Just try to slip the clutch as least as possible and remember that the Swift's driver (or better to say the guy sitting behind the steering) will have to use the hand brakes too as the pedal brakes will not work as they work on negative vacuum pressure created by the running engine known as power braking. This I say assuming that the swift engine is not running and hence the need to tow the car.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 28th January 2014 at 11:57.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks