Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 11:19   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-Benz: Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics @ Kerala

Mercedes-Benz introduces the 'Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics' program in Kerala, via an academic collaboration with the Government Engineering College, Barton Hill, Thiruvananthapuram. This program targets engineering college students.

It's a 1 year course with 4 modules – Mechanical, Electronics, Vehicle Systems and Soft Skills. The first batch will start from 19th March 2014. Application form and prospectus are available at this link.

The Automotive Mechatronics course designed by Mercedes-Benz is currently run by two government polytechnics in Pune and Aurangabad. This is the third public-private partnership by the company. In Government Polytechnic, Pune and Aurangabad, a total of 266 students have been trained thus far.

The initial plan is to kick-start the course with a single batch of 20 students and the selection of candidates will be strictly as per merit in an entrance test conducted by the College. Engineering degree / diploma holders are eligible to appear for the entrance test. Certificates for successful students will be jointly signed by the Director of Technical Education, Kerala and Mercedes-Benz India.

Mercedes has been involved in planning the syllabus on modern automotive technology, supply of Mercedes-Benz training cars, training of GEC lecturers and supply of tools & equipment to the students.

The ADAM facility has a modern electronics lab, car bay and aggregate training rooms, equipped with training cars, engines, gearboxes and e-lab equipment.

Mercedes-Benz: Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics @ Kerala-image-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 15:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz: Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics @ Kerala

Indeed a much required step. The government and industry should work hand in hand to come out with more such initiatives. This one year would give the students a lot of insights which they would have not learnt via academics or during their internships.

Since, this is a dedicated one year course focusing on all the four important aspects of auto industry the students are going to benefit a lot.

These students may soon find themselves in great demand from car manufacturing companies who would tend to utilize their expertise in various fields which must have been overlooked until now.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 22:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why not a college in Pune, Chennai, or Gurgaon?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th January 2014, 22:56   #4
BHPian

Well, that is my Alma mater!! But I am also wondering the feasibility of such a course in the region given that there are no plants or anything related to the industry there.
Old 31st January 2014, 10:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Wonder why not a college in Pune, Chennai, or Gurgaon?

Regards
Sutripta
They already have training centers in Pune and Aurangabad as mentioned in the first post.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:41   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Well, that is my Alma mater!! But I am also wondering the feasibility of such a course in the region given that there are no plants or anything related to the industry there.
Note that graduates of this program would be placed in authorised service stations. While Mercedes dealers are the obvious choice, I believe they also find opportunities in other high-end service stations (e.g. BMW & Audi).

Dealers are everywhere
Old 31st January 2014, 15:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mercedes-Benz introduces the 'Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics' program in Kerala, via an academic collaboration with the Government Engineering College, Barton Hill, Thiruvananthapuram. This program targets engineering college students. It's a 1 year course with 4 modules – Mechanical, Electronics, Vehicle Systems and Soft Skills. The first batch will start from 19th March 2014. Application form and prospectus are available at this link. The Automotive Mechatronics course designed by Mercedes-Benz is currently run by two government polytechnics in Pune and Aurangabad. This is the third public-private partnership by the company. In Government Polytechnic, Pune and Aurangabad, a total of 266 students have been trained thus far. The initial plan is to kick-start the course with a single batch of 20 students and the selection of candidates will be strictly as per merit in an entrance test conducted by the College. Engineering degree / diploma holders are eligible to appear for the entrance test. Certificates for successful students will be jointly signed by the Director of Technical Education, Kerala and Mercedes-Benz India. Mercedes has been involved in planning the syllabus on modern automotive technology, supply of Mercedes-Benz training cars, training of GEC lecturers and supply of tools & equipment to the students. The ADAM facility has a modern electronics lab, car bay and aggregate training rooms, equipped with training cars, engines, gearboxes and e-lab equipment.
I can confirm that this college does not have a full fledged basic mechanical lab for itself (Atleast that was the story back in 2008). Even they didn't offer any automobile engineering courses too!

Wonder why this college was selected over CET (Arguably the best in the state) and SCT (Run by KSRTC and hence always had a high focus on the mechanical stream, including automobile). Anyways a good option for students to get placed in the service sector.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 19:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I can confirm that this college does not have a full fledged basic mechanical lab for itself (Atleast that was the story back in 2008). Even they didn't offer any automobile engineering courses too!

Wonder why this college was selected over CET (Arguably the best in the state) and SCT (Run by KSRTC and hence always had a high focus on the mechanical stream, including automobile). Anyways a good option for students to get placed in the service sector.
I can confirm, on the contrary, that the college (I passed out from there in 2008) now has a full fledged Mechanical Engg Lab, and are not relying on CET for their facilities anymore.

I take it that you are a CETian , going by the tone of your post.

@GTO: Yes, I din't think of that. Given Keralites are Merc mad, it might make sense.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Would love to have a look at the curriculum, and the prescribed texts. (Hope it does not stop at the Bosch yellow jackets!) Can anyone help with what is done in the other two centres.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 1st February 2014, 00:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
I can confirm, on the contrary, that the college (I passed out from there in 2008) now has a full fledged Mechanical Engg Lab, and are not relying on CET for their facilities anymore.

I take it that you are a CETian , going by the tone of your post.
We all have different interpretations of 'full fledged', but anyways - since you are from the institution - will let yours be the final word here.

And no, not a CET'ian.
Old 1st February 2014, 08:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Given that this is a diploma course being Run in polytechnics elsewhere, SCT should have thought it redundant, since they already have an automobile B Tech Program running already, and if they wanted to do this, all they need to do is add an elective or change the syllabus.

CET, given their ego, probably thinks it's beneath them to do it.

I'm actually surprised a Govt College took an initiative. Usually I see only the private colleges doing these industry tie ups!
Old 18th July 2018, 18:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Note that graduates of this program would be placed in authorised service stations. While Mercedes dealers are the obvious choice, I believe they also find opportunities in other high-end service stations (e.g. BMW & Audi).

Dealers are everywhere

Do you know what is the basic qualification required to study this course?
Old 18th July 2018, 20:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishantpratap95 View Post
Do you know what is the basic qualification required to study this course?
From their website

"Candidates who have a Degree/Diploma in Mechanical Engineering / Automobile Engineering / Electrical & Electronics
Engineering / Electronics & Communication Engineering / Mechatronics / Applied Electronics and equivalent disciplines.
Final year B.Tech. students with 6.5 CGPA till seventh semester and without live back papers are also eligible"

I think this year admission is closed. Please see the attached file for Course Prospectus.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ADAM-prospectus18-new.pdf (146.4 KB, 640 views)
Old 18th July 2018, 21:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
From their website

"Candidates who have a Degree/Diploma in Mechanical Engineering / Automobile Engineering / Electrical & Electronics
Engineering / Electronics & Communication Engineering / Mechatronics / Applied Electronics and equivalent disciplines.
Final year B.Tech. students with 6.5 CGPA till seventh semester and without live back papers are also eligible"

I think this year admission is closed. Please see the attached file for Course Prospectus.
Thanks for the information Latheesh. Will look into it. I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineering student and it has always been childhood dream to work for Mercedes because I was facinated by the cars they make ever since I was a kid. Will apply for this course after I complete my engineering.

Most Viewed