Team-BHP - Alto and the AirCon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Alto and the AirCon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/14788-alto-aircon.html)

hi guys.. i have an alto lx... one thing that has been really troubling me this summer is its ride with the AC on... mostly in the 2nd (sometimes even in the 3rd) gear, when i brake hard (without pressing the clutch), the car gives a big jolt.. even a sudden release of accelerator jerks the car..

its not that the car speed falls below the min. kph for that particular gear... even braking from 25kph to say 15 kph in the 2nd gear, the car gives a jolt.. but if i switch off the AC, the problem disappears completely... Also if i simultaneously press the clutch while braking (with AC on), there is NO jolt..

the maruti service station guy said that this happens with almost all cars due to a sudden decrease in RPM.. but i'm not too convinced as i recently drove the Xeta with NO such problem...
Please help me out... coz summers are at their peak and AC is a necessity... but to avoid the jerks i dont want to unnecessarily wear out my clutch plates..
thanx:)

check idle rpm setting, with ac on and off.. clutch seetings also...

not to scare you or anything but my colleagues alto had the same problem, which they diagnized as clutch replaced it at 5 k kms, ran ok for couple of months and now again its re surfacing..

find a good garage and try replicating the problem with the mechanic riding along is the best suggestion.

okay jaggu.. will do that, but maybe at a diffrnt service station..

get your clutch checked thoroughly.
and avoid resting left foot on that pedal!

I dont think there is any problem with the car, this quite expectedI mean on suddent braking w\o using clutch the engines rpm drops drastically & to be able to pick up from such a low rpm ins 2nd or 3rd gear teh engine would need all of it power which might not be available to it if the a\c is running.

I agree with Jaggu. It could well be a clutch problem. I faced the same trouble some time back - the car used to jerk like crazy for no reason and also had trouble shifting gears. Each time i told the service guys about it, they came up with solutions like getting the belts tightened and what not. For the thrid free service, i blew my top off. Forced them to check the entire clutch assebly. They confirmed it was a manufacturing defect and not driver error. Got it replaced under warranty. Haven't faced the problem after that.

I dont think its a clutch problem. I have a similar issue with my new Alto. The AC seems to be very powerful and while riding with it, releasing the throttle a bit means jerking the car.:Frustrati

I was waiting for the 1st service to ask this question to the service guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I dont think its a clutch problem. I have a similar issue with my new Alto. The AC seems to be very powerful and while riding with it, releasing the throttle a bit means jerking the car.:Frustrati

I was waiting for the 1st service to ask this question to the service guys.

It happened to me too when the car was absolutely new. May be the AC was powerful and the new engine was getting toned. But the thing went off after my first long drive before first service and with AC on.
I suggest dont put on the AC so much before first service. Let the engine tune up.
Now it is fine, also when the AC is on and u r in lower gears (or starting at a signal) make sure u put on the gas pedal a little harder than u normally do (simultaneously leave the clutch a little slower). It will not jerk. U will feel a smooth pickup.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy
I suggest dont put on the AC so much before first service. Let the engine tune up.
Abhi

Yes, I have heard a lot of people say this. I am using the AC very less now. Why did they have to bolt such a powerful AC on Alto? It just takes the juices out of the engine while on the highway.

But I love the awesome cooling in Chennai's damn heat. BTW Abhi, what mileage figures you achieve with AC on?

I think its something else. Happens to my 800dx (almost same thing as alto lx).
I can't really explain why.. but its normal for this engine to jolt at a particular rpm with a/c on.

Let me tell you the symptom I face..
--going in 2nd gear.. at say about 25km/h.. the moment you release the accelerator even a slight bit .. strong engine braking kicks in.. giving you the jerk.

Its very annoying but.. can't be helped! .. Maruti has put in all it had in this engine!!.. don't ask them for more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Yes, I have heard a lot of people say this. I am using the AC very less now. Why did they have to bolt such a powerful AC on Alto? It just takes the juices out of the engine while on the highway.

But I love the awesome cooling in Chennai's damn heat. BTW Abhi, what mileage figures you achieve with AC on?

mail4ajo: Dont blame that AC dude. It is too good when u r on highway under the scrotching sun. I hardly use AC in city (infact i hardly drive in city also in bangalore u dont require AC...)...During my trips to TN, i did put on the AC on highway and it worked well. I always keep it on No.2 with 3-4 for a few minutes initially to cool down. Believe me, it cools down fast and maintains that cool level throughout and all the 4 adults enjoy the fullest when the sun was scrotching outside in places like Krishnagiri, Salem etc.
After all this, the car was nicely running at 90kmph - 110kmph.

Now coming to fuel efficiency:
I used say 50-60% AC during these trips, I got 18.6*, 18.5* etc kmpl (basically 18+). This included hill climbs and high speeds of 120-130kmph with 4 adults and luggage. I maintain an excel sheet of petrol, mileage and variations just for my analysis. If u want more exact figures than i need to refer that to get the exact figures in every refill.

NOTE: Although my car has done 3500km, I have done the second service last week. This small things will become more smooth. I felt a great deal of improvement / smoothness after first service.
I strictly maintained to what mentioned in the Alto guide. I didnt cross speed above 70kmph (although given 100 there) and didnt use for small distances. hardly used AC eventhough blore got quite hot during march. Took the car to longer distances at lower speeds before first service. I took it to GQ only after first service.

start with basics, check idle rpm (ac on n off) then clutch settings, dont complicate matters.

if rpm difference is very high when ac on vs ac off, car will jerk with sudden change in rpm when accelerator is not depressed to outset the differnce

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy
Dont blame that AC dude. It is too good when u r on highway under the scrotching sun. I hardly use AC in city (infact i hardly drive in city also in bangalore u dont require AC...)...During my trips to TN, i did put on the AC on highway and it worked well. I always keep it on No.2 with 3-4 for a few minutes initially to cool down. Believe me, it cools down fast and maintains that cool level throughout and all the 4 adults enjoy the fullest when the sun was scrotching outside in places like Krishnagiri, Salem etc.
After all this, the car was nicely running at 90kmph - 110kmph.

For me it was exactly the opposite of what you've mentioned !!!

When I drive my brother's 2001 Alto which had cloaked about 38,000 KMS with the AC on the 5th gear at speeds of about 80-100 KM/H, I've always felt Alto was quite sluggish and I've to literally stand on the accelerator to stick to that speed !!!

Is it because of any problem associated with the older breeds of Altos or is it specific to my Alto ?

Other than these, there is no other headache with my Alto and the AC is really a chiller.

Same problem with my alto. have been harrowing every service centre here. I've taken up the matter with MUL. they changed my entire clutch assembly under warranty at 5K kms.

The problem resurfaced a few kms later. It's very irritating. My friends alto athough doesnt have the problem.

I am still fighting with MUL.

With the AC on the car does jerk very badly when you release accelerator suddenly but it's not like a cutoff jerk it's a jolt. this will also happen if you
release and then immediately press half throttle. it will jolt then again start accelerating. this is not normal at all and a pain in city traffic.

I brought up the matter at the time of delivery and they said it's new hence wont be smooth. they said by 1st service problem will go. Even after that it dint go. Second service they tried to fix it but couldn't.

I got bugged and I wrote a scornful letter to MUL. Solar auto contacted me for fixing the problem. they tried to fix it but said it seems normal.

I have taken it in writing from them that they are not able to diagnose the problem and if it aggrevates they will repair the problem free of charge.

But it's really irritating for me as well as any passenger in the car cause the jerk is really bad.

Does anyone have any contacts in MUL. it seems quite a few altos have this problem. maybe we can get this sorted out from MUL.

I have mentioned this problem earlier.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post299057

Currently everything has been checked. sparks, throttle body, valve clearance, ECU has been connected to Tec2 and no error codes found.