Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 16:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Look factor unchanged but if it really stands upto what they are promising then this will definitely become cheaper overtime provided it proves itself. Heat rejection is the main thing we are worried about. AFAIK there are sun films which dont look tinted but still are acceptable.
Old 18th February 2014, 20:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
If we follow the supreme court ruling I believe this product would be illegal. I am reproducing the supreme court ruling below for everyone's convenience.

***Writ Petition (Civil ) No. 265 of 2011

“ No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

The ruling clearly says "any other material" which to my mind clearly makes this product illegal.
It may be considered "any other material", but if it is a spray it is not "pasted" on. If they make spraying illegal then they have to make windscreen washers illegal too.
Steeroid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 20:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
All this is pure nonsense propagated by vested interests. If sunlight exposure caused cancer there would have been no human race IMHO.
In fact most of us must be suffering various ailments due to lack of exposure to sunlight these days.
Sorry .
I think basal cell carcinoma/ Rodent ulcer, which eats away your face is caused due to exposure to sunlight. Dehydration, renal stones are two other diseases I remember off hand.
Would you care to name the vested interests? I cannot think of anyone who'll gain by banning legal levels of sun film.
I agree that lack of exposure to sunlight is causing hypovitaminosis D, but that is mostly white collar. Most will not spend more than a couple of hours driving. But think about cab wallahs and site engineers, etc who spend many hours driving or being driven.
Old 19th February 2014, 12:13   #19
BHPian

I still see so many cars with extremely dark sun films on the road in chennai, and they are never stopped because they have a party flag in the front ! Yet on one side you will find the cops stopping other car owners for flimsy reasons. And during peak summer the sun in chennai is merciless, so hot the road tar melts ! God save my country !
vipinendran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 15:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
With the SC ban on sunfilm, there is a definite increase in skin and other cancers caused by exposure to UV rays. Does this coating do anything about harmful radiation? I think that is more important than stay-kool, which can be managed by increasing the A/C.
I don't think such a statement could be supported by data, at least as of yet. Plus, you would need lot more exposure to sun (think being outdoors all day long, in very sunny weather) to become statistically susceptible to skin cancer.
bobbafett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 15:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most will not spend more than a couple of hours driving. But think about cab wallahs and site engineers, etc who spend many hours driving or being driven.
Site Engineers spend most oftheir time on sites, and most cases, exposed to extreme and harsh conditions.

Renal stones due to exposure to sinlight in cars?
Old 21st February 2014, 16:55   #22
BHPian

here is a similar alternative which is soon coming to India!

http://www.fuminn.com.sg/technbenefit
discobiscuit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 17:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

More info on STAY KOOL

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...n-india/17838/.

The cost comes to Rs 8000/sq m
Old 21st February 2014, 18:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
I don't think such a statement could be supported by data, at least as of yet. Plus, you would need lot more exposure to sun (think being outdoors all day long, in very sunny weather) to become statistically susceptible to skin cancer.
My 2 cents worth : Skin cancers caused by exposure to the sun are mostly because of holes in the ozone layers above the earth atmoshphere ( mainly due to global warming ) These holes are present above countries like Australia, some places in the USA where the incidence of such cancers are high as holes in the ozone layer permit the harmful UV rays from the sun to come through. The layer usually acts as a filter for us to get the benifits of Sun rays, after all sun is the reason for life on earth.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 18:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

@bobbafett &sourabhzen: If you think protection from sunlight is a trivial matter, I cannot really dissuade you. The govt. should have made sunfilm optional, so that you guys can drive unprotected and I could drive behind a high quality sunfilm.:-)
Anyway, what I said was just unsubstantiated opinion. I just think that banning sunfilm is not a solution to crime.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 19:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@bobbafett &sourabhzen: If you think protection from sunlight is a trivial matter, I cannot really dissuade you. The govt. should have made sunfilm optional, so that you guys can drive unprotected and I could drive behind a high quality sunfilm.:-)
Anyway, what I said was just unsubstantiated opinion. I just think that banning sunfilm is not a solution to crime.
If not trivial, its not such big an issue as you make it to be; more so, when its your unsubstatiated opinion.
Old 21st February 2014, 19:24   #27
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
My 2 cents worth : Skin cancers caused by exposure to the sun are mostly because of holes in the ozone layers above the earth atmoshphere ( mainly due to global warming ) These holes are present above countries like Australia, some places in the USA where the incidence of such cancers are high as holes in the ozone layer permit the harmful UV rays from the sun to come through. The layer usually acts as a filter for us to get the benifits of Sun rays, after all sun is the reason for life on earth.
Actually, there is an indirect effect.
In absence of sun film, you will end up using AC at higher capacity or for longer time, which will eventually result in larger overall consumption of Freon gas ( hope this is correct name of the refrigerant we use in ACs). Now, higher use of Freon is directly linked with depletion of ozon layer.

Sorry for going OT, however whole thread is now busy with supreme court's verdict and so on. I am really looking for any real-time user experience of this Micro Coating material and a real verification of claims given (97% light transmission and 70% heat rejection) on this site.

Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

I registered onstay cool's website. No one has contacted me yet. Do they really operate in Bangalore?
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
I registered onstay cool's website. No one has contacted me yet. Do they really operate in Bangalore?
In the message that i posted, the link mentions STAY KOOL has been launched in Hyderabad. I guess dealerships must be there in bangalore.

One of office colleagues has contacted his friend who has some knowledge about STAY KOOL. Once i get details from him, will update one and all.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 21:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

I received an email from one Mohit Mathur on 25-Feb stating that more details would be shared soon. Upon calling the number provided they said the stuff is being imported from Japan but they have already formed some tie ups in Bangalore.

Expected availability in Bangalore is around last week of March

Most Viewed