Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2006, 15:08   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Thanks Dude,

What shud be th ideal resistance value for the plug wire?
Hi,

It varies from brand to brand. The lower the resistance the better the spark.

Viper
Old 16th July 2006, 15:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

It varies from brand to brand. The lower the resistance the better the spark.

Viper
Viper,

I am still not Ok with the idea that Plug wire can go wrong... can it?
Old 16th July 2006, 16:20   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Viper,

I am still not Ok with the idea that Plug wire can go wrong... can it?

Hi,

Dont worry it is very normal.

Viper
Old 17th July 2006, 09:15   #19
BHPian

I had the same problem on my Nissan Bluebird almost a year back...
it was giving jerks when driving and the guess what was the FE...
it gave me 4.5Kmpl on a tank full...
after replacing it, it gave me normal 8Kmpl...
Old 17th July 2006, 13:34   #20
BANNED

Hi extreme torque. go for injector cleaning and tell the engineer to fine tune the engine. I hope it will work for you.
Old 18th July 2006, 03:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyrahul
Hi extreme torque. go for injector cleaning and tell the engineer to fine tune the engine. I hope it will work for you.
How much fine tuning can you plz explain ?
Old 18th July 2006, 21:50   #22
BHPian

Ideal resistance for spark plug wire is 25 to 50 ohm per foot of wire....lesser the resistance more it will carry current....but with very less resistance distributor cap contact will worn out too fast.....there are few products where resistance is as low as 5 ohm per foot of wire.....

Enjoy....
Old 19th July 2006, 23:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanx for all your valuable suggestions.... the car is almost Ok now. There's nothing wrong with the timing, the plug wires needed to be chaged, i also changed to new spark plugs. To make sure everything is perfectly fine, i'll also be changing the ignition coil for the last set of cylinders. The car is running fine now, there's lotsa difference in the way she drives now. Fuel average has also improved, getting 12 kmpl with Ac in delhi. Will keep you guys updated on any further developments... thanx again.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:07   #24

An post of my experience to get better fuel efficiency

I have pasted the text from an email of mine sent to a fellow Palio owner

(posted here: Yahoo! Groups)

Please don't take it as a classroom session, I just thought, I'll share this with you. I shall try to communicate all the actions I do, then open the actions for discussion (is it good or bad). Obviously all actions would also have my understanding, why I am doing that.

Actions taken now (i.e. after 5k KMs)
1. After every cold start (that would mean any start wherein the engine has cooled down to room temperature, say every morning), let the engine idle with the stationary car for around 2 minutes. In case of winters, another minute or two. What I try to achieve: get the oil moving around in all parts of the engine and little warm engine.
2. After starting, I try to switch off the engine for 30 seconds of more after the temperature gauge reaches near the one-fourth notch or approximately 2 Kms of travel. I dunno know how it helps, but the observation is that the engine noise reduces dramatically and the engine is all rearing to go sans the noise.
3. Try not to press more than half the accelerator. That is I try to personally accelerate slowly giving the engine time to build the torque and catch up. Dunno know how it helps, but gives a smooth ride.
4. Try to keep the engine constant and any changes are gradual. It probably helps the engine get time to adjust to the requirements better.
5. Regular cleaning of the air filter. Every two weeks. Suggested by the dealer. It helps the filter not collect too much dust and also help keep the engine breathing well.
6. Regular servicing: every six months or 7500 kms, whichever is earlier.

All other regular precautions

During Running-in (I did it for until 5k Kms)
1. Never exceeded 40kmph speed. For the first 2k Kms, stayed within 30Kmph. Kept increasing the limit to 50 kmph till 5k Km in steps.

2. Never let more than two co-passengers in the car

3. Never revved the engine high or loaded for acceleration. Let the engine do its task, without trying to push it for any movement.

The running-in guidance was provided by my dad (he has been responsible for several cars in the organization he worked for): he says that the ideal manner is to actually let the engine idle with the car stationary for around 1000kms. I could only manage around 100km equivalent (the fuel hit the pocket bad)

Finger crossed; the recent calculations suggest an average of 14.4kmpl (unadjusted, no highway, no ac, tank full to tank full with 200 km of bad f1 kind of driving)

Hope this long email makes some sense. Please feel free to share your thoughts (even mine with others: if they are receptive to it)

Take care and drive safe.
Anshul Kwatra

Most Viewed