Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2006, 00:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Low Fuel Average... Palio 1.2 ELX!

Hi Guys,

Offlate my palio has been giving me very low fuel average. I changed
timing belt and some bearing alongwith it during my previous service.
I am getting around 8.5 kmpl with careful driving... that touching 70-
80 at times but mostly 50-60 kmph on relatively empty roads,
previously it used to give me atleast 10 kmpl no matter what. Is there
something wrong with the timing belt that i just replaced? What could
be the cause? Its really burning a hole in my pocket coz i drive 60-70
kms daily.
Old 5th July 2006, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Timing belt is changed as u said but maybe the timing has changed and needs to be adjusted as u said after changing the timing belt you are getting low mileage.Go to the dealer and complain about the low mileage after the changes.He will give u a proper diagnosis.
Old 5th July 2006, 14:40   #3
BHPian

Also try a different petrol station and brand.. there could be a slight possibility that your regular guy has started some adulteration..
Old 5th July 2006, 23:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

No i fill in from reputed pumps only. Is there any possibility that the service guy has messed up while putting the new timing belt.
How do i check if timing belt has been installed correctly or not?
Old 5th July 2006, 23:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Extreme_torque=As i said in my last post Go the dealer asap and tell him about this.U can complain that after getting the timing belt changed there is a drop in mileage.He will do the needful
Old 5th July 2006, 23:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

The problem is i am free only on weekends so i was asking you guys, if there's a check that i can do to make sure that timing belt has been installed properly.
Old 6th July 2006, 17:59   #7
BHPian

The timing can only checked with the right gadgets at teh service station.. But, if the timing has been changed, you would surelyy feel some difference in the way teh car is driving..
Old 9th July 2006, 00:10   #8
BHPian

hi,,
how much has ur car done on the odometer,,
if it has crossed 75,000. then u require a timing belt change in a fiat palio,,
but the way u r driving it,, i think u should get around 10 easily,,
other than that i tried HKS iridium spark plugs in a friends palio the fuel econamy rose by around 15% roughly!!!!!
though this not the solution for ur immediate problem,, u can try this later,,
all the service guy has to do is connect the high scan device and check the timing and adjust it accordingly,,
regards,,
driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Extreme_torque=As i said in my last post Go the dealer asap and tell him about this.U can complain that after getting the timing belt changed there is a drop in mileage.He will do the needful
Old 10th July 2006, 01:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven
hi,,
how much has ur car done on the odometer,,
if it has crossed 75,000. then u require a timing belt change in a fiat palio,,
but the way u r driving it,, i think u should get around 10 easily,,
other than that i tried HKS iridium spark plugs in a friends palio the fuel econamy rose by around 15% roughly!!!!!
though this not the solution for ur immediate problem,, u can try this later,,
all the service guy has to do is connect the high scan device and check the timing and adjust it accordingly,,
regards,,
driven
Dammm the scanner device at Samyak motors in Patparganj wasnt working. The engine struggles to move up an incline with the AC on... the if i depress the accelerator a little the revs arent constant, but if i press it further the revs are constant.
Will show the car to the service next weekend. For the time being i'll use my office cab.
Old 10th July 2006, 02:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting around 8.5 kmpl with careful driving... that touching 70-
80 at times but mostly 50-60 kmph on relatively empty roads,
previously it used to give me atleast 10 kmpl no matter what
All these years we were told that the Palio 1.2 gives a mileage of 8 kmpl but now you say the car used to regularly give a mileage of 10kmpl! I really don't know where the low mileage rumors started though I first read about this in Overdrive. Anyway, about your car, you said it's struggling to go uphill so I am guessing something wasn't done correctly when your car was given for service and the timing belt chain. The best bet is to hook it up to the scanner, i guess. Why don't you get the fuel injectors cleaned and de-carbonize the engine while you are at it? But do let us know what the problem was and how it was solved.
Old 10th July 2006, 23:15   #11
BHPian

Hi,

A similar situation here with me. I had to change it due to a worn out tensioner bearing (26/7 effect)

I think the problem can be solved after resetting the ECU.
Old 11th July 2006, 09:07   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect
Hi,

A similar situation here with me. I had to change it due to a worn out tensioner bearing (26/7 effect)

I think the problem can be solved after resetting the ECU.
Hey,

The ECU would have got reset by default since any responsible mechanic would disconnect the battery before opening the timing belt/chain. The timing itself cannot be adjusted merely be reseting the ECM it will have to be done manually.

@ Extreme - If the car timing is not set correctly it will not idle properly and pickup also will obviously not be there. Get that checked asap.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 11th July 2006 at 09:08.
Old 16th July 2006, 08:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

The mechanic came today in the morning to inspect my car, he changed all the spark plugs. The fourth plug was dark black so the mechanic said the plug was "shorting". Even after changing all the spark plug, the car was misfiring a little bit, the idle was uneven which miraculously dissappeared in b/w. He came to a conclusion that plug wires also need to be changed along with ignition coil for the last two plugs. He said once the car warms up the coil isnt giving sufficient current. Is his diagnosis correct? Shall i take a second opinion or go ahead with the ignition coil change?
How much do you think the mileage will improve if in present state it was giving 9 kmpl?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 16th July 2006 at 08:36.
Old 16th July 2006, 08:50   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Hi Guys,

The mechanic came today in the morning to inspect my car, he changed all the spark plugs. The fourth plug was dark black so the mechanic said the plug was "shorting". Even after changing all the spark plug, the car was misfiring a little bit, the idle was uneven which miraculously dissappeared in b/w. He came to a conclusion that plug wires also need to be changed along with ignition coil for the last two plugs. He said once the car warms up the coil isnt giving sufficient current. Is his diagnosis correct? Shall i take a second opinion or go ahead with the ignition coil change?
How much do you think the mileage will improve if in present state it was giving 9 kmpl?
Hi,

I think he is right but do not agree about the plug shorting bit. It could be the coil that is faulty.Easiest way go to the service centre and request them to swap the coil by temporarily loose fitting one from another car. If the car feels ok you have your culprit. It is advisable to change to better plugs and wires in the long run. You can check the plug wires for their resistance using a multimeter. This will indicate whether they need changing.

Cannot comment on the mileage but it should improve.
Viper

Last edited by viper : 16th July 2006 at 08:53.
Old 16th July 2006, 14:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

I think he is right but do not agree about the plug shorting bit. It could be the coil that is faulty.Easiest way go to the service centre and request them to swap the coil by temporarily loose fitting one from another car. If the car feels ok you have your culprit. It is advisable to change to better plugs and wires in the long run. You can check the plug wires for their resistance using a multimeter. This will indicate whether they need changing.

Cannot comment on the mileage but it should improve.
Viper
Thanks Dude,

What shud be th ideal resistance value for the plug wire?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks